• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Peterborough to Chandlers Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aictos

Established Member
For one Adult and one Child travelling on the 8th June who need to be there by 10:30 at the latest and leaving at 15:30, what is the best route to take?

Is it better to use FCC from St Pancras to London Bridge then Jubilee line to Waterloo then SWT to Southampton Parkway then finally onto Chandlers Ford?

OR

Is it better to use the Underground from Kings Cross St Pancras to Paddington, jump on a HST to Reading and change there for a Cross Country to Southampton Parkway before changing again for Chandlers Ford?

No railcards are available with this route.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

calc7

Established Member
Are you after the quickest way, cheapest way or easiest way to cross London?

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
A journey planner will give you the quickest route, albeit with a long time to cross London. I would in with SWT for frequency (only one XC routianu from Reading), and cross to Waterloo by train rather than Tube.
What do you mean "with this route"? A Family and Friends Railcard could be used, or a Network Railcard with a split between Peterborough and London.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
For one Adult and one Child travelling on the 8th June who need to be there by 10:30 at the latest and leaving at 15:30, what is the best route to take?
Best is subjective. If you are asking for the fastest route, you can find that using a journey planner. If you are asking for the cheapest, try using the MSE split ticket tool, or trainscanbecheaper.info.

Some people may define "best" as step-free, or fewest interchanges, while others may want scenery, or avoid certain types of trains.

So, it depends on your criteria really!
Is it better to use FCC from St Pancras to London Bridge then Jubilee line to Waterloo then SWT to Southampton Parkway then finally onto Chandlers Ford?

OR

Is it better to use the Underground from Kings Cross St Pancras to Paddington, jump on a HST to Reading and change there for a Cross Country to Southampton Parkway before changing again for Chandlers Ford?
Many people would say neither is "the best" route, it is difficult to see why these 2 options have been given, but if you can let us know your criteria for best we may be able to help.

The fastest route is likely to be Victoria Line to Oxford Circus, then cross-platform to the Bakerloo Line, then SWT from Waterloo. But there may be some reason why that option isn't listed (e.g. some people don't like using deep level tubes).

10 years ago I'd have changed at Reading for HSTs, but now that FGW have wrecked the HST interiors, and XC are running cramped Voyagers, I'd avoid that route.

I am guessing you mean you do not hold a Railcard.

Aictos

Established Member
I don't hold a railcard other then my TOCNE Priv, just like to know the quickest way as well as the cheapest way and easiest way if possible.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The fastest route is likely to be Victoria Line to Oxford Circus, then cross-platform to the Waterloo Line, then SWT from Waterloo.

I think it's the Bakerloo line rather than the Waterloo (& City) line.

calc7

Established Member
If at all possible, this is likely to be one of the situations where driving works out quicker, cheaper and likely easier.

Drsatan

Established Member
If you want to travel across London, I'd recommend using the 59 bus from Kings Cross to Waterloo, which runs every 6-10 minutes. The bus stop is across Euston Road. If you or your child don't have an Oyster card, a cash single each is £2.30 which you purchase from the ticket machine next to the bus stop. The bus also travels across Waterloo bridge to get to Waterloo meaning if you're on the top deck you'll be able to enjoy the view.

Aictos

Established Member
Just a update needed on prices please guys....

I have my own TOCNE Priv and discounted Oyster card, the child I'm travelling with does not have any discounted stuff at all.

I know much it will cost me £39.00 for a Anytime Return but £78.00 for a Anytime Child Return?

Surely it can't be that expensive for a child? We need to be at Chandlers Ford by no later then 10:30 and the event is timed to finish at 15:00 hence Off Peak tickets may not be suitable.

How long does it take for a bus to get from Kings Cross to Waterloo anyway, last few times I've done that journey I've always used the Tube.

wintonian

Established Member
I know much it will cost me £39.00 for a Anytime Return but £78.00 for a Anytime Child Return?.

Nope a Peterborough to Chandlers Ford SOR for a child is £82.50, £165 for an adult.

You could buy a F&F railcard as Peterborough is outside the network area.

sonic2009

Established Member
If you restrict yourself to FCC between Peterborough and London Kings Cross you could purchase :

Peterborough - London Zone 1 -6 Anytime Day Travelcard FCC only £29.00
Boundary Zone 6 - Chandlers Ford Anytime Day Return Any Permitted £12.75

£41.75 for the Child.

Aictos

Established Member
Nope a Peterborough to Chandlers Ford SOR for a child is £82.50, £165 for an adult.

You could buy a F&F railcard as Peterborough is outside the network area.

Thanks for the help so far, however I'm getting confused and it's not because of you guys but rather due to B & Q :(

We have to attend a event at their head office which according to their PR is based in Chandlers Ford yet the included map on how to get there suggests using Eastleigh station for some reason.

Is there anyone local to the area who can suggest which is the better station to use and would it viable for a taxi to be used or if it's walking distance between B & Q's head office and these two stations.

It's just I'm of the firm impression I have to use Chandlers Ford station but according to the info I've looked at, Eastleigh station seems to be easier to use.

sonic2009

Established Member
I would suggest a taxi between Eastleigh and the B & Q head office.

It appears to be :

1.3 miles, 25 minute walk from Chandlers Ford
2.3 miles, 45 minute walk from Eastleigh
2.4 miles, 48 minute walk from Southampton Airport Parkway

But it may appear, well easier to me to catch a taxi from Southampton Airport Parkway rather than :

1. wait for the connecting service to Chandlers Ford
2. wait for the taxi from the station at the other end

wintonian

Established Member
Thanks for the help so far, however I'm getting confused and it's not because of you guys but rather due to B & Q :(

We have to attend a event at their head office which according to their PR is based in Chandlers Ford yet the included map on how to get there suggests using Eastleigh station for some reason.

Is there anyone local to the area who can suggest which is the better station to use and would it viable for a taxi to be used or if it's walking distance between B & Q's head office and these two stations.

It's just I'm of the firm impression I have to use Chandlers Ford station but according to the info I've looked at, Eastleigh station seems to be easier to use.

It's 8 min on the no. 1 bus from Chandlers Ford station opposite Asda, bus runs every 20minj during the day and there is no direct transport from Eastleigh.

Map

Bus info
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I would suggest a taxi between Eastleigh and the B & Q head office.

It appears to be :

1.3 miles, 25 minute walk from Chandlers Ford
2.3 miles, 45 minute walk from Eastleigh
2.4 miles, 48 minute walk from Southampton Airport Parkway

But it may appear, well easier to me to catch a taxi from Southampton Airport Parkway rather than :

1. wait for the connecting service to Chandlers Ford
2. wait for the taxi from the station at the other end

No the bus also runs from Southampton and Winchester a taxi IMO would be a waste of money

Aictos

Established Member
It's 8 min on the no. 1 bus from Chandlers Ford station opposite Asda, bus runs every 20minj during the day and there is no direct transport from Eastleigh.

Map

Bus info

No the bus also runs from Southampton and Winchester a taxi IMO would be a waste of money

So it looks like the bus will win but would it be easier to board the bus at Southampton (I don't know the area at all, does it stop outside the station?) or change at Southampton Parkway for the hourly service round to Chandlers Ford and board the bus there?

I really do appreciate the help, guys :)

sonic2009

Established Member
Please may i ask something, do you have any correspondence from B&Q?

The official address for the head office seems to be B&Q House, Chestnut Avenue, Chandler's Ford, Eastleigh.

But there seems to be three different B&Q properties within 1 mile of each other.

Maybe you have a letter/email saying where you need to meet?

If it says the above address, then Bluestar 5 runs direct from Eastleigh to Chestnut Avenue every hour.
Here's my journey plan for you using the above option, and tickets i suggested in an earlier post :

Outward

Peterborough dep 0540 - London Kings Cross arr 0650 - Transfer to London Waterloo via Underground & Depart at 0735 - Eastleigh arr 0847 - Transfer to Eastleigh Bus Station dep 0910 - Chestnut Avenue, Asda arr 0920.

The 0540 is a First Capital Connect service :)

I know much it will cost me £39.00 for a Anytime Return

I can further reduce this fare for you, if you travel FCC only between Peterborough and London.

Anytime Return Peterborough - London Kings Cross FCC only £12.65
Anytime Day Return Zone U1 * London - Eastleigh Any Permitted £10.10

Total cost : £22.75, the Zone U1 fare will allow you to use LU between KGX and WAT on the outward, and reverse on the way back.

(Fares shown above are with PRIV discount)

Key :

KGX - London Kings Cross
WAT - London Waterloo

Last edited:

wintonian

Established Member
Ok I forgot about Chestnut Avenue (opposite Homebase ;)) and the No. at that time of day after a Jubilee drink. :)

So as log as the times are right then the bus station at Eastleigh is only a couple of minutes from the station outside Sainsburys.

Where did the £10.10 come from? brfares.com says a child anytime day return is £20.15.

Last edited:

noblergt

I think you have two main choices. One is to somehow get the 8:09 out of Waterloo, arriving at Eastleigh at 9:27. Then wait until 9:51 for the connecting service to Chandler's Ford arriving at 9:56, ready for the number 1 bus near the station at 10:08, stopping outside the ASDA opposite the B&Q HQ at 10:12.

Alternatively get off at Winchester (9:18), to catch the number 1 from Jewry Street (see here). It leaves the bus station at the bottom of the hill at 9:40, which is the exact same bus you would catch at Chandler's Ford. You could also probably make this with 8:15 out of Paddington and changing at Reading.

Another number 1 service leaves at 9:20 if you want to arrive earlier, which you could probably make with the 8:05 out of Waterloo, it being a faster train, arriving at Winchester at 9:04. This will get you at B&Q for 9:52.

This post was made before I read about the Chestnut Avenue buildings though.

Last edited:

John @ home

Established Member
If I had to travel with a child from Peterborough to the Eastleigh area for a Friday event from 1030 to 1530, I would travel the previous evening on cheaper tickets and book a local hotel. I would feel much more relaxed that way. For example,

Peterborough - Southampton Central route + Any Permitted PRIV Anytime Return £42.25
Peterborough - Southampton Central route + Any Permitted CHILD Off-Peak Return (SVR) £60.50 1D or Super Off-Peak Return (SSR) 1L £34.65
Hilton Southampton Hotel £47.40 at LateRooms.

Total £150.15 or £137.40

The difference depends on whether you need to leave Kings X on the return leg during the Friday evening peak. The SVR allows return travel at any time. The SSR prohibits northbound travel from Kings X 1500 - 1814 on Fridays. Click on the 1D and 1L links for full details.

wintonian

Established Member
Just add there is now a Travelodge outside Eastleigh station (the new ones are quite nice) which would be very handy for what you wish to do, if you did want to explore stopping overnight.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Aictos

Established Member
Have doubled check the address guys and it is indeed:

B&Q House, Chestnut Avenue, Chandler's Ford, Eastleigh.

Between Peterborough and Kings Cross I rather travel with FCC however on the way back I'm open to using Cross Country from Southampton Airport Parkway to Reading then use First Great Western into Paddington if need be.

It looks like the best option for me to do is to travel Waterloo to Chandlers Ford via Southampton Airport Parkway then I can use the bus to get to B & Q's head office.

The only tickets I need to know is what to buy to enable me to travel from Waterloo to Chandlers Ford via Southampton Airport Parkway using my priv discount and what child tickets I need from Peterborough to Chandlers Ford via London and Southampton Airport Parkway.

sadly a overnight stay isn't possible this time.

sonic2009

Established Member
If you see my previous posts. I suggested for child a :

Anytime Day Travelcard Peterborough - London Z1-6
Anytime Day Return Boundary Zone 6 - Chandlers Ford

I suggest for the PRIV option :

Anytime Return FCC only Peterborough - London KGX
Anytime Day Return London U1 - Chandlers Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.