• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Peterborough to Whitehaven

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultrabox

Im trying to book a one way journey for four adults on a Sunday in May. National rail suggest 10.15 from Peterborough with two changes at Newcastle and Carlisle, arriving into Whitehaven at 16.10. I've tried East Coast, Northern,Virgin and Red Spotted Hanky booking engines. All seem to suggest that there is no service and are suggesting an overnight journey. I cannot understand why I cannot book 10.15 service. Can anyone help please

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sheff1

Established Member
Which Sunday ? I can book the tickets via East Coast for the 20th OK, which is week I tried at random

MarkyMarkD

Because it needs two tickets per National Rail - Advance Peterborough to Carlisle and Anytime Day Single Carlisle to Whitehaven.

And the booking sites won't let you book two tickets in one through transaction, so you need to buy them separately. Instead it attempts to find valid through tickets, but there aren't any, presumably because the Newcastle/Carlisle route is not permitted. Which is quite surprising because there seem to be endless choices of permitted routes (or at least many map combinations) in the Routeing Guide.

sheff1 - I can't on 20th or 27th, certainly not at 1015. Are you sure?

sheff1

Established Member
sheff1 - I can't on 20th or 27th, certainly not at 1015. Are you sure?

Yes.

As you say, Advance tickets to Carlisle (with the EC on line discount) and then from Carlisle to Whitehaven. Put them in the basket with no problem - obviously didn't actually buy them ;)

MarkyMarkD

OICWYM. I think ultrabox didn't get the two transactions in one basket thing, but I may be wrong.

It's one of the (many) flaws of the National Rail site that whilst it will suggest splits where they are necessary, it can't then refer you to purchase the splits on a booking site because it only passes through details of one leg.

John @ home

Established Member
I think this is due to a perverse interpretation of the National Routeing Guide, where the computer seems to decide that the only appropriate Routeing Point for Whitehaven for this journey is one from which there is no service to Whitehaven on Sundays.

That shouldn't happen and I will raise the issue with ATOC. Meanwhile, I suggest the following work-round. Some, but not all, train companies' web sites will sell Advance Single tickets for Peterborough - Workington via Carlisle on Sundays.

Taking Sunday 20 May as an example, at the time of writing some Standard Advance tickets are available on the 1015 Peterborough - Workington at £30.70 each (or £45.75 First Class) by booking with East Coast, but there are fewer than 4 Adult tickets available in each class at these prices.

You may save money by clicking on 1/3 off Group Travel on the Special Offers part of the East Coast home page. Then click on Book now through this link. This reduces the price for 4 Standard Advance tickets on the 1015 on Sunday 20 May from a total of £147 to £104.20.

You may also need to experiment with the East Coast site for the particular Sunday in May when you wish to travel. If you find that tickets are available, but that there are fewer than 4 Adult tickets at the lowest price in both classes, you may find that the cheapest way for your party to travel together is in First Class, with some buying the cheapest First Advance tickets and the others the cheapest Standard Advance tickets and paying the £15 Weekend First supplement on the Peterborough - Newcastle train.

Buying these Peterborough - Workington tickets, together with 4 Anytime Day Singles Workington - Whitehaven at £2.30 each, will allow you travel:
  • 1015 Peterborough - Newcastle 1236
  • 1310 Newcastle - Carlisle 1438
  • 1500 Carlisle - 1547 Workington 1549 - Whitehaven 1610.

Status
Not open for further replies.