• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Petition for reopening the Hereford, Hay and Brecon line

Status
Not open for further replies.

caliwag

Apologies but I have mislaid the link to a parliament petition for above. Can anyone help please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Robin1966

Okay, where can I find out more about that? I can't see much with a cursory look on Google...

steevp

Ah in a similar vein to DelW's post - I fear that what you think are a squadron of large whites lined up in the car par primed and ready for flight are in fact just a convincing set of snow drifts...

Robin1966

If that's directed to me steevp, I just asked a question, that's all. I know nothing about the Hereford, Hay and Brecon, hence my question...

Robin1966

Okay, so basically, all there is in this is a petition and that's it, I am assuming from your answer? Nothing more solid than that? Fine. Move on to something else then...

caliwag

Well there was a thread back in 2014 on the subject...it's on here somewhere. It was based on a speculative article about the prospect of the return of the line. It seems to have disappeared. Perhaps someone from the campaign will respond. Kidderminstershuttle.co.uk

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Okay, so just a campaign, nothing concrete as yet...

This appears to be very similar to the proposal for the reopening of the Aberystwyth Carmarthen line, other than that has a little support from Plaid. However it has even less chance of getting any honest support.
Originally this line was a tramway that was converted to a small wandering single track rural backwater that never made any money, and only linked Hereford to Brecon with no large towns in between.

Robin1966

This appears to be very similar to the proposal for the reopening of the Aberystwyth Carmarthen line, other than that has a little support from Plaid. However it has even less chance of getting any honest support.
Originally this line was a tramway that was converted to a small wandering single track rural backwater that never made any money, and only linked Hereford to Brecon with no large towns in between.

Aha, thanks :D

PeterC

Established Member
If you were even pretending to be serious you should be starting with the Brecon and Merthyr to link to Cardiff (Not that I regard that as realistic either). Stopping the line at Brecon really just makes a stupid plan even worse.

MarkyT

Established Member
An article in a Hereford local paper about this:
http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/16054251.Call_for_return_of_rail_route/
Call for return of rail route

COULD rail travel become a reality once more for passengers wanting to head from Hereford to the Welsh hills? That’s the proposition put forward in a petition currently gathering support to reinstate the old line to Brecon and beyond. Apart from the environmental advantages of taking traffic off the roads and on to the rails, the campaign foresees an enthusiastic take-up for those en route to HayFestival and Brecon Jazz.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
That article contains this beauty:

Still early days for the petition, his call to ‘Rebuild the “Hereford, Hay and Brecon” and “Mid Wales” Railways has so far gathered 12 names.

Even for a local rag 12 signatures on an online petition is a non-story.

iantherev

Much as I’d love to see trains return to Brecon, it’s a non-starter due to redevelopment (not to mention the bats in Talyllyn Tunnel). In any case, two weekends a year does not a development case make.

iantherev

That article contains this beauty:

Even for a local rag 12 signatures on an online petition is a non-story.
I don’t know. The Brecon & Radnorshire Times got half a page over a Stagecoach bus breaking down in the centre of Brecon one recent Sunday because the recovery company sent an incompatible tow truck.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Brecon population just over 8,000
Hay On Wye 1,500.

No chance of them supporting a viable railway.

daodao

Established Member

It was taken over by the Midland Railway and used to access coal mines and industry in the Swansea Valley via the Neath and Brecon line, but was never seriously developed as a through passenger route, unlike the LNW Central Wales line. It closed to passengers, as with all other passenger services to Brecon, in 1962. It joined the Brecon and Merthyr line at Talyllyn junction, which has now been converted into attractive garden, with a display of interesting railway artefacts related to the junction, and is occasionally open to the public.

While this is a beautiful area, the population density is low, and the train frequency was always poor (about 4/day). There are still a handful of buses a day (Stagecoach route 39) between Hereford and Brecon, but there would be minimal demand for a re-opened line, except during the Hay Festival.

It would be preferable if campaigners focussed on reopening lines that might be viable/useful, e.g. Abertillery to Newport to complement the existing Ebbw Vale to Cardiff service.

Last edited:

Western Lord

If you are going to re-open anything out of Hereford, it should be to Ross-on-Wye and Gloucester..........

Status
Not open for further replies.