• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Petrol panic buying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
The one good thing is that most modern cars are reasonably good at trying to stop you from actually becoming stranded from running out of fuel. Even the ones that don't give you electronic warnings will generally run for miles or tens of miles beyond the last point at which you they might have you expect to have hit zero.
Not sure how much petrol you get after the light comes on but I found there was a lot left AFTER the car shuddered to a halt. My first car developed a leaky fuel tank and I got a replacement tank. I then had to drive the car for many days to get the warning light on. Pressed it only a bit further and ran out !. Got a gallon in and that weekend swapped the tank. I planned to remove the remaining petrol from the old tank before dropping it. So I had the jerry can, an oil can and a mixing bowl as backup. I needed all three so presumably had about three gallons in there. So up to three gallons in the tank two gallons of which would have been in there when I "ran out".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MattRat

On Moderation
Until the power cuts, then ICE car owners can sneer back at them. In the dark.
I think it would descend into anarchy at that point, so it wouldn't really matter. You have to remember it would also mean people can't charge their smart phones....

Edit: And anyway, it's a demand problem, not a supply problem, so power stations don't actually have any problems.

Last edited:

DelayRepay

Established Member
Can I ask a question without looking a bit dim?

Where do diesel trains get their fuel?

I know they don't go to the petrol station (obviously) but are they dependent on tanker deliveries? Or is it delivered through pipelines, like aviation fuel?

Starmill

Veteran Member
And anyway, it's a demand problem, not a supply problem, so power stations don't actually have any problems.
Fortunately for all of us you can panic buy diesel much less than you can panic buy pasta, and you can panic buy electricity less still than that. However, electricity is more likely to be price-rationed e.g. if people on pre-payment metres run out more quickly they may struggle to buy a top up sooner. We might be getting a little element of that with fuel. Has anyone been driving their car noticeably more economically this week?

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Fortunately for all of us you can panic buy diesel much less than you can panic buy pasta, and you can panic buy electricity less still than that. However, electricity is more likely to be price-rationed e.g. if people on pre-payment metres run out more quickly they may struggle to buy a top up sooner. We might be getting a little element of that with fuel. Has anyone been driving their car noticeably more economically this week?
I have stopped the missus treating me like a taxi. She does not even realise that we will get stuck in the gridlock near our house. It will cost me dearly later - especially if I vetoe the trip to visit her sons in Cardiff !.

skyhigh

Established Member

I know they don't go to the petrol station (obviously) but are they dependent on tanker deliveries? Or is it delivered through pipelines, like aviation fuel?
Depends on the depot. The local depot to me gets a weekly delivery by rail.

Ediswan

Established Member
Not sure how much petrol you get after the light comes on but I found there was a lot left AFTER the car shuddered to a halt. My first car developed a leaky fuel tank and I got a replacement tank. I then had to drive the car for many days to get the warning light on. Pressed it only a bit further and ran out !. Got a gallon in and that weekend swapped the tank. I planned to remove the remaining petrol from the old tank before dropping it. So I had the jerry can, an oil can and a mixing bowl as backup. I needed all three so presumably had about three gallons in there. So up to three gallons in the tank two gallons of which would have been in there when I "ran out".
Water and other general crud settles to the bottom of the tank. You don't want that getting anywhere near the engine. The outflow of the tank is a pipe which sticks up a short distnace from the bottom, to reach clean fuel. You are "out" when the top of the pipe goes dry. The drain bung is at the bottom of the tank. Remove that and you find the fuel below the top of that pipe.

brad465

Established Member
Sounds like the crisis has got bad enough Surrey are considering declaring a major incident that would see fuel reserved for key workers and making electric vehicles available to those requiring essential use:

Public services in Surrey are considering declaring a major incident in response to the fuel supply crisis, it has emerged.

Surrey County Council's Conservative leader Tim Oliver said that the option will be considered by the local resilience forum, which includes the local NHS and police, on Monday evening.

"We have been experiencing the same problems as everyone else so we are deciding whether or not to declare a major incident which would give the forum powers to prioritise key workers," he said

"We have got access to fuel supplies which we can designate for priority workers so social workers can be given a card which enables them to access those supplies.

"We have also got our own electric vehicles so our role would be to coordinate that activity so those people who need to travel can," Mr Oliver added.

Earlier on Monday London's mayor said dwindling supplies of petrol and diesel should be reserved for 'key workers' until the fuel crisis is over.

The London mayor called on ministers to create a priority list of hospital staff, care workers and black cab drivers.

He told ITV News fuel shortages were affecting most of London's filling stations and the situation was getting worse. He said the government needed to 'get a grip'.

If this happens there are three cabinet ministers who will be very nervous as their constituencies are in Surrey.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If this happens there are three cabinet ministers who will be very nervous as their constituencies are in Surrey.

They won't be - hell will freeze over before Surrey votes anything other than Tory even with this Government's record.

Gloster

Established Member
They won't be - hell will freeze over before Surrey votes anything other than Tory even with this Government's record.
In the last hundred years, if you exclude the bits that are now part of London, the only exception is Guildford, which elected a Liberal Democrat in 2001. Before that you have to go back to 1909, when three Liberals were elected. (Source: Wikipedia.)

brad465

Established Member
Chesham and Amersham could have been described the same way until the by-election saw an extreme swing to Lib Dem and in turn take the seat. Much of Surrey is on the receiving end of controversial planning legislation that was believed to influence the former by-election result, and Raab's seat came very close to being snatched from him in 2019. The last thing many of the 11/11 Tory MPs there want is for the Tory-run council to do the above regarding petrol rationing, especially if other parts of the country manage to avoid doing the same.

A Challenge

Established Member

I remember that last time there was fuel crisis, certain Network Rail (well it would have been Railtrack I guess) vehicles were allowed to use red diesel with the extra tax paid. Could they do this again this time?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I remember that last time there was fuel crisis, certain Network Rail (well it would have been Railtrack I guess) vehicles were allowed to use red diesel with the extra tax paid. Could they do this again this time?

That’s an interesting one because once the dye in red diesel is in the fuel system it’s pretty hard to get rid of. I’d have thought that it would effect the resale value of the fleet somewhat once it came off lease.
Does anyone know a bit more than me about that?

nlogax

Established Member
Raab isn't going to make it beyond the next election. He barely scraped the last one and after the Afghanistan debacle he's gained some real negative press locally. Esher and Walton won't feel too uncomfortable about going LibDem considering their constituency neighbours have had a LD MP for years, brief Tory interlude aside.

I think it will ease off in the next few days there is only so much Fuel you can buy. a quick run around tonight tried the nearby Co-op moderate queue but no Diesel, no good for me, so went down to the Local Tesco moderate queue got Diesel within 10mins.

MattRat

On Moderation
I also just realised they likely burn a different hydrocarbon than diesel or petrol. Like how ships burn bunker seed oil.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I always try and drive the vehicles as economically as possible because I have a competition going with Mrs C to try and get the most mpg out of both the van and the car. To be fair she’s usually slightly better than me overall but that’s only because she’s got the nerve to drive the car at 60 on the M5 on a long journey and if I did that my head would probably explode…

A Challenge

Established Member
That’s an interesting one because once the dye in red diesel is in the fuel system it’s pretty hard to get rid of. I’d have thought that it would effect the resale value of the fleet somewhat once it came off lease.
Does anyone know a bit more than me about that?
The original post is here, it won't let me quote as the thread is locked (why can't multi quote still work in locked threads?)

PeterC

Established Member
Hopefully the delivery issues don't imply that any bus, railway or other service vehicle depots will be running dangerously low on diesel. Unfortunately of course lots of delivery vans etc have pretty much just got to sit in the queues with everyone else which isn't ideal.
Our local buses fill at a local petrol station. I don't know what the situation was today.

alxndr

Established Member
Has anyone been driving their car noticeably more economically this week?
I feel as though some people are, although perhaps I've just gotten unlucky with the people that I've been behind.

XAM2175

Established Member
I also just realised they likely burn a different hydrocarbon than diesel or petrol. Like how ships burn bunker seed oil.
Correct, although it's been many years since the GB grid actually used oil in generation.

As an aside, it's Bunker C that you're referring to ;)

Luckyflames

I think it will ease off in the next few days there is only so much Fuel you can buy. a quick run around tonight tried the nearby Co-op moderate queue but no Diesel, no good for me, so went down to the Local Tesco moderate queue got Diesel within 10mins.
London ?

Typhoon

Established Member
Thanks. If 'daytime' means 'not school', it all become consistent.
Their wording wasn't ideal. To be honest I was surprised at how many school journeys they operate. As Kent maintains grammar schools (both mixed and single gender), inckuding some which are described as 'super selective' an awful lot of pupils are bussed around. In particular Sevenoaks (GoCoach's hinterland) does not have a grammar school (it does have an annexe to a girls grammar school, though).

I've checked at BusTimes this morning, every bus recorded as being out is on a school route (there are two out on the 208, I guess that the first journey in each direction and the 'school days only' services will run).

Completely different note, the Isthmian (Football) League offered clubs the opportunity to postpone their midweek games, as a result 21 out of the 27 matches planned will not take place tonight, with more off tomorrow. Probably wise as the players will have other priorities for their fuel (Reported at Folkestone Invicta manager Neil Cugley accepts why Isthmian Premier League match against Hornchurch has been postponed (kentonline.co.uk), numbers from Isthmian League website)

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Sounds like the crisis has got bad enough Surrey are considering declaring a major incident that would see fuel reserved for key workers and making electric vehicles available to those requiring essential use:

Oh dear. This news will trigger even more panic buying. Now I am considering filling up (pancking) as I need petrol for the middle of October.
I always try and drive the vehicles as economically as possible because I have a competition going with Mrs C to try and get the most mpg out of both the van and the car. To be fair she’s usually slightly better than me overall but that’s only because she’s got the nerve to drive the car at 60 on the M5 on a long journey and if I did that my head would probably explode…
If you drive slower than the prevailing speed on the road then it is best not to look in the mirror <(.

Last edited:

High Dyke

Established Member
Passed my local Asda, on the way to work this morning. Normally it has two card only pumps on 24-hr use. Today a line of cones across the entrance with a sign saying "No Fuel", but there were still half a dozen cars queuing. I'd filled my car up on Friday at Sainsbury's across town. No queues, no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.