• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PF The Class 20 Farewell 18/1/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskra

Established Member
Just posting this here as it seems quite a special tour, so it may be of interest.

It should involve 6 DRS loco's in one day including classes 68, 2x57 and 3x class 20's on the mainline in their twilight. It also takes in some fairly pleasant lines including Sheffield-York (I assume via Pontefract), the Harrogate Loop, the Penistone line and Derby-Crewe.

https://www.pathfindertours.co.uk/events/the-drs-class-20-farewell/

I've booked on.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

randyrippley

Established Member
freight locos in January?
have they got a generator van? going to be cold otherwise.............

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I see, are the diesels sometimes attached at rear simply for shunting/insurance purposes then?

Tours using Riviera stock with an engine on the back tend to be those with many reversals or shunting needed. They have a number of generator vans available.

Iskra

Established Member
freight locos in January?
have they got a generator van? going to be cold otherwise.............

As said, I believe the MK1 set includes a generator van. It's possible that the 68 will be on the back from York anyway too which could provide heating.

Iskra

Established Member
Is it 2×20 and a 20 on rear?

I reckon 3 20’s upfront and a 68 on the back from York. The picture on the Pathfinder tours shows 3x20 on the front of another tour.

Impossible for anyone to know though really at this stage.

theblackwatch

Established Member
I wouldn't expect it to be Top and tail from York - that would require a double run-round at Leeds/Neville Hill. There's no real reason to send a 68 across from Crewe (or wherever) just to sit on the back.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Better be a winner 68 tho :lol: Mini spin and win tour

Unless they are going to build some more 68s, they are going to struggle to provide a 'winner 68'. The purpose of the 68 is just to get people home before the engineering blocks are taken.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Will you be on this tour Kite? It's not too far for you to travel?

The timings mean it would be a couple overnight stays in the Birmingham area (so add on ~ £50), plus I tend to do long tours involving dreadful Mk1 coaches in 1st class due to the rubbish bench seating found in standard class (give me a seat on a 376 or 700!). So that ramps the cost up, no interesting required track being covered plus as it will be January it will be dark around half four so a lot of the trip will be spent in darkness (assuming it departs Leeds around 3pm, probably be dark by the time it reaches Sheffield.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The timings mean it would be a couple overnight stays in the Birmingham area (so add on ~ £50), plus I tend to do long tours involving dreadful Mk1 coaches in 1st class due to the rubbish bench seating found in standard class (give me a seat on a 376 or 700!). So that ramps the cost up, no interesting required track being covered plus as it will be January it will be dark around half four so a lot of the trip will be spent in darkness (assuming it departs Leeds around 3pm, probably be dark by the time it reaches Sheffield.
You’ll probably note @Iskra that that wasn’t exactly a no... :lol:

Iskra

Established Member

A very logical assessment, it’s going to be a long, costly day for me too. The stops aren’t well located for Sheffield so I’ll be driving to Bromsgrove and back on the day. I agree about the bench seats, so I’ve gone 1st class for the same reason. But, as a part-time enthusiast I’m very likely to get winning locomotives as well as a little winning track Derby-Crewe. Then the thought of a trio of ever-dwindling choppers over the Harrogate loop, Morley Tunnel and the Penistone Line sold it to me. Daylight is nice, but less important to me when it’s something thrashy and interesting up front. Not many tours have interested me recently, so I’ve jumped on the first semi-decent one.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Hopefully it will be a nice drive to Bromsgrove early January morning, not too cold or wet. Hopefully first class will be located behind the 20s and not at the back in front of a noisy Genny Van!

I will most likely get the winning locos, I've not had a 57/0 so chances are both of those would be needed, as long with the 20s. 68 would be a maybe as I still need some of them.

Iskra

Established Member
Hopefully it will be a nice drive to Bromsgrove early January morning, not too cold or wet. Hopefully first class will be located behind the 20s and not at the back in front of a noisy Genny Van!

I will most likely get the winning locos, I've not had a 57/0 so chances are both of those would be needed, as long with the 20s. 68 would be a maybe as I still need some of them.

Yeah, it’s only a couple of hours, easy roads and it should be quiet enough. Just as long as it doesn’t snow!

I’m the same with the loco’s only the 68 could disappoint but in this day and age I’ll happily take the other 4/5 winning loco’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.