• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Phil Sayer RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossover

Established Member
All of TPE's managed stations use an in house system provided by Siemens

Now I listen to the clip (I was in the office before and couldn't) I take your point. I'm sure Phil Sayer used to voice the likes of Dewsbury before that awful system took over. Huddersfield is the epitomy of rubbishness for announcements - as mentioned elsewhere, the continuation is atrocious!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
When introduced the voyagers were voiced by Joanna Lumley, however Virgin decided not to use the on board automated announcements. Pity as some of us had fun poking around the TMS seeing what Joanna had to say....

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Perhaps they might do well to employ proper voice artists - I find both of them sound a bit rude and clipped, particularly the on-board one (no doubt they are both nice people, they just aren't voice-recording professionals). This did to me sum up the corporate attitude of the old TPE - but that isn't what the new TPE is trying to be, so perhaps something friendlier like the VT double-bill would work better?

There's loads of voice artists out there, I think TPE should get someone from community radio with a confident clear voice to pre-rec the announcements.

Put it this way, I'd love to be the voice to do them.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I forget who does the VT(WC) ones (the new ones, not the seductive sounding "Welcome to this Virgin Train" one) but the combination of a male and female voice almost gives a bit of "banter" like you get on a real radio show. It works really well and adds a friendly element to what is otherwise just disseminating tedious and repetitive (but mostly useful) information.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It seems I'm the only one that doesn't mind the TPE announcers! Certainly having in-house staff seems to give them a great deal of flexibility. I was on a diverted TPE at Retford (low level) when they were going that way between Sheffield and Cleethorpes whilst Mount Hatfield was being dealt with and the on board announcement had Retford in it which, considering they otherwise don't call there at all, was quite impressive!

I hope Phil recovers soon he was the voice at my local station for a very long time.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Goodness no, have you heard the state of the announcements on Go North East voiced by Metro Radio DJs?

Steve and Karen from breakfast. Fortunately they are silenced on the N21! Personally would have preferred Gary Phillipson and Lisa Shaw from Real Radio. Justin and Kelly just dont have the "Heart....."

(Gary is at BBC Newcastle now, Lisa is on Maternity)

Off topic, but notice how Metro are trying to be like what Galaxy was while Star are trying to be Century recycling their former presenters, shows and even jingles...

Last edited:

HowardGWR

Established Member
Steve and Karen from breakfast. Fortunately they are silenced on the N21! Personally would have preferred Gary Phillipson and Lisa Shaw from Real Radio. Justin and Kelly just dont have the "Heart....."

(Gary is at BBC Newcastle now, Lisa is on Maternity)

Off topic, but notice how Metro are trying to be like what Galaxy was while Star are trying to be Century recycling their former presenters, shows and even jingles...

I can't explain this but I derived pleasure from not knowing about what or to whom you are referring. Clearly though, I am living in a bubble.:D

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Now how about this young lady to some announcements?

Catherine_Tate_Nan.jpeg

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Star Radio did host the 3 legends for a while but they never regained the popularity they had on century/real radio. Think they still however do one offs and specials on star and sun FM

For the benefit of those of you who haven't a clue, North East Radio Stations

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
No need, slight sidetrack as using radio voices on train announcements was mentioned....

Using in house staff has its advantages, but then if people leave and the system needs updating someone else has to do it. Fortunately with the case of Retford, the on boars voice is still employed by TPE

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Goodness no, have you heard the state of the announcements on Go North East voiced by Metro Radio DJs?

Yes, on the Angel of the North route. I kept wondering when Ant and Dec would pop up and say "howay man youse now arriving in Gateshead Intachange".

Worth remembering that Metro Radio is owned by Bauer, back to the voice overs...

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Just announced on FB that Phil passed away yesturday. It shows the amazing personalitty of his Wife the post featured the words "we are sorry to announce this service terminates here"
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Given the masive contribution he made and Im sure his wife will continue to make to the railways and TFL UI strongly feel that after an appropriate period we should have some kind of forum fundraiser in aid of a charitty of his fammilies chosing

Blindtraveler

Established Member
As iv just said in the other thread I strongly think we should, later this year have some kind of forum fundraiser for a charity of his familys choosing, given what a huge contribution he and his Wife have made and will continue to make to the rail industry and TFL

bicbasher

Established Member
Tragic news. Was the station voice at Forest Hill for many years and my favourite announcer.

Thoughts with Phil's family.

HST43277

I hope that they keep his announcements on as long as they can.
which stations still have his ones?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I note that the report is just from Facebook, has there been any other source?

I am somewhat saddened, his announcements are well-known and very well liked indeed, including by me.

greaterwest

Established Member
Very sad news :(

I hope that they keep his announcements on as long as they can.
which stations still have his ones?

Chiltern, South West Trains and Southern stations still use him.

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Not as far as I know but its on his and his wifes official company page so doubt its a pranky
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
He was still at some chilton ones last Dec when I was last that way

tsr

Established Member
Very sad news. Phil's voice probably announced most of the trains I went on, at one station or another at any rate, until I was in my late-teens. The clarity of his announcements is still something that really has to be aspired to by myself and many others in the industry. My understanding is that he was also a great character aside from his work. Thoughts with his family.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.