• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Phil Sayer RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Just announced on FB that Phil passed away yesturday. It shows the amazing personalitty of his Wife the post featured the words "we are sorry to announce this service terminates here"

They've both always shown tremendous wit, I'm pleased she's able to show it even now.

Thoughts with all the family. Genuinely sad.

R Trevithick

Had the great pleasure of meeting Phil many years ago as well as entering a few if his radio competitions.

Great guy and will be sorely missed.

My condolences to his family and Rest in Peace

Established Member
Sad news, RIP. Am I right in saying that the Class 333 on-board announcements were also voiced by him?

sn1975

Just heard the sad news that Phil Sayer has passed away.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-36052363

London Underground's 'mind the gap' man Phil Sayer dies

A former BBC presenter who became the voice of the 'Mind the Gap' announcements on the London Underground has died of cancer.

Phil Sayer, 62, whose voice was heard on most of the automated PA systems on railway stations across the UK, died on Thursday.

Mr Sayer presented a daily show on BBC GMR (now Radio Manchester) in the 1980s and also read the regional TV news.

He and his wife Elinor Hamilton later set up a company as voice-over artists.

Writing on their Facebook page, she said: "Phil Sayer - voice of reason, radio, and railways. A dearly loved husband, father, grandfather, brother, uncle and friend.

"We are sorry to announce that this service terminates here."

My thoughts are with Mr. Sayer's family and friends.

Steve.

backontrack

Established Member
Terrible news. I rushed on here as soon as I saw.

RIP Phil Sayer. You oversaw the mornings and evenings of many, many millions of people, and dedicated yourself to your cause.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
7-5-5 indeed... Local radio announced as his death by saying he had "Minded the gap for the final time"

Sad news, RIP. Am I right in saying that the Class 333 on-board announcements were also voiced by him?

333's are voiced by a woman
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Extra... Noted this on twitter:

ddceue.jpg

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I've always felt that Phil's voice manages to sound both authoritative and kindly at the same time - exactly what is needed.
Hearing the same voice in many different places reading out many different destinations allowed one to enjoy travelling to new and exciting places (they do exist in the UK!) and yet feel a reassuring sense of familiarity at the same time.
He is truly the voice of the railways. I wish him and his family some quality time together.

I quite agree with this, exactly the kind of voice you need on the railway PA.
For me he was always the voice of Birmingham New Street.
The only places his voice grated (not his fault) were on the Southern, which delights in running opposing announcements on adjacent platforms (East Croydon, Clapham Jn etc).

I saw him on a TV chat show once, in full train announcer flow. You wouldn't want to disagree with his instructions!
Much missed, and thanks, Phil.

hassaanhc

Established Member
I always enjoy listening to his recorded announcements at London Waterloo. Loud, clear, and can be heard over idling DMU engines.

The media seem to be concentrating on his LUL announcements, when personally I think he's more well known for the mainline station announcements :idea:. I know he does "mind the gap" in the S Stock, but right now I can't recall where else on the LUL network his announcements exist.

RIP Phil Sayer :(

Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member
R.I.P. Phil :(

I note that the report is just from Facebook, has there been any other source?

I am somewhat saddened, his announcements are well-known and very well liked indeed, including by me.

It has been picked up by a large number of news outlets now.

They've both always shown tremendous wit, I'm pleased she's able to show it even now.

Thoughts with all the family. Genuinely sad.

It's very sad news but I loved the wording used. It conveys such love and humour.

Agreed

I always enjoy listening to his recorded announcements at London Waterloo. Loud, clear, and can be heard over idling DMU engines.

Still the best announcer there is on the railways at the moment, in my opinion. Pretty sure I have come across his voice in some lifts and the like too

Ibex

The media seem to be concentrating on his LUL announcements, when personally I think he's more well known for the mainline station announcements :idea:. I know he does "mind the gap" in the S Stock, but right now I can't recall where else on the LUL network his announcements exist.

RIP Phil Sayer :(

Phil & Elinor both voiced packages for the Northern, Piccadilly & Jubilee lines. In terms of "mind the gap" he is certainly at Goodge Street which sounds absolutely brilliant with the station acoustics. He also does a long security spiel at Euston, and I believe I've heard it at some Morden branch stations, although I would agree that he's probably better known for the mainline work - particularly Birmingham New Street, Waterloo, Victoria & Leeds etc.

It is very sad news and my thoughts are with Phil's family.

abn444

Very sad news indeed, the best announcer I've heard on the railways. Rest in peace Phil.

backontrack

Established Member
Phil & Elinor both voiced packages for the Northern, Piccadilly & Jubilee lines. In terms of "mind the gap" he is certainly at Goodge Street which sounds absolutely brilliant with the station acoustics. He also does a long security spiel at Euston, and I believe I've heard it at some Morden branch stations, although I would agree that he's probably better known for the mainline work - particularly Birmingham New Street, Waterloo, Victoria & Leeds etc.

I've never heard him at Leeds, that's Anne territory.

applepie2100

RIP Phil :(

I'll always remember hearing his announcements for the first time at Birmingham New Street around 1999/2000 when I made my first long distance railway journeys on my own.

hassaanhc

Established Member

It is very sad news and my thoughts are with Phil's family.

Oh yeah the "Ladies and Gentlemen. This is a security announcement..." :oops:. First heard it at Canning Town and recognised him instantly. But the S Stock ones I didn't realise it was him until I saw it mentioned elsewhere once, and I suspect the same applies to many of his other announcements on LUL.

TH172341

Very sad to hear this news - my wishes and prayers go out to Phil's family, and may he rest in peace.

:sad:

Loud and clear, he has many a times informed me of a platform alteration at New Street! His voice is also used on the Midland Metro CAF trams; hopefully his voice remains a constant presence on our rail system for many years to come. The video on the Guardian article made me smile at the end.

Last edited:

louis97

Established Member
RIP Phil Sayer. :(

Oh yeah the "Ladies and Gentlemen. This is a security announcement..." :oops:. First heard it at Canning Town and recognised him instantly. But the S Stock ones I didn't realise it was him until I saw it mentioned elsewhere once, and I suspect the same applies to many of his other announcements on LUL.

It is unfortunate Phil is no longer on the S-stock, he was replaced by Matt who is the Thameslink male auto announcer late last year I think it was. Not sure why.

Andyh82

Established Member
Sad news.

Slightly annoying that all news outlets are leading on him being the "Mind the gap" man, something I don't associate with him at all.

You used to get a booming "Mind the Gap" back in the day done by an old school wartime style voice, but that phase is much likely to be part of a longer announcement these days, along with various 'good service' announcements by station controllers.

The voice of Waterloo and Birmingham New Street would presumably been a big enough headline to get clicks.

traji00

RIP Phil. My condolences to his family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GatwickDepress

Established Member
RIP Phil It's very sad to hear this. My condolences to his family and friends.

It must be curious, knowing you'll live on through audio clips, and hundreds of thousands of passengers a day don't even know it.

Railops

I had never heard of him and didn't realise he had done so many recordings.

Status
Not open for further replies.