• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Philip Higgs and his various bus companies

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
I can't find a relevant thread still open but Philips Higgs of Classic Bus North West and Catch 22 - the operators which keep getting bans with Higgs constantly appealing and finding loopholes to get around the bans - has registered a Birmingham Sightseeing Tour Bus Route on his operating licence for Manchester Bus Tours Ltd.

https://www.vehicle-operator-licens...registered-local-bus-services/details/515302/

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

enrag2000

I can't find a relevant thread still open but Philips Higgs of Classic Bus North West and Catch 22 - the operators which keep getting bans with Higgs constantly appealing and finding loopholes to get around the bans - has registered a Birmingham Sightseeing Tour Bus Route on his operating licence for Manchester Bus Tours Ltd.

https://www.vehicle-operator-licens...registered-local-bus-services/details/515302/

How can he operate anything in Birmingham on this licence when it is a North-Western licence with the operating centre: CRANBERRY MILL, CRANBERRY LANE, DARWEN, BB3 2HF

pemma

Veteran Member
How can he operate anything in Birmingham on this licence when it is a North-Western licence with the operating centre: CRANBERRY MILL, CRANBERRY LANE, DARWEN, BB3 2HF

It's allowed as long as the TC's office for the area where the licence is held accepts the registration. Arriva Buses Wales have North West routes registered with the Welsh TC.

enrag2000

It's allowed as long as the TC's office for the area where the licence is held accepts the registration. Arriva Buses Wales have North West routes registered with the Welsh TC.
My point is that it is a little difficult to operate a service in Birmingham from an operating centre in Darwen (and I doubt if he is using that OC anyway!)

Dart1

The operator is using a coach & lorry park near to Lancaster circus which is a few mins from Birmingham city centre

Mwanesh

National Express have closed Sipson Road the operating centre is listed as West Midlands Travel so it can be done

KendalKing

Established Member
Why do people, keep having ago about Philips Higgs and his companies, for running bus services that other companies, have either refuse to operate or abandoned.

6Gman

Established Member
Why do people, keep having ago about Philips Higgs and his companies, for running bus services that other companies, have either refuse to operate or abandoned.

Nobody seems to be "having a go" on this thread; just enquiring what's going on. Previous attempts to run tourist services in Birmingham have been pretty short-lived I think.

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
perhaps he hasn't got the best reputation? obviously the TC's think he's dodgy if they keep calling him to enquiries...

Statto

Established Member
perhaps he hasn't got the best reputation? obviously the TC's think he's dodgy if they keep calling him to enquiries...

Indeed, this is one of the reasons why. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-42392558
A bus operator who hired a private detective to spy on a government inspector has lost his appeal to have his firm's licence reinstated.

Philip Higgs developed "animosity" towards the official because she would not say who complained about his firm Catch 22 Ltd, a tribunal heard.

He posted footage on YouTube of the inspector driving her own car poorly, in an attempt to discredit her.

A tribunal judge said the conduct was a "serious invasion of privacy".

Judge Howard Levenson also said it was an "attack" on the adjudicatory process. Mr Higgs is to challenge the decision.

The Lancashire company's licence for routes between Cleveleys and St Annes and another between Fleetwood and Thornton will be revoked from 18 February.

Bit more detail of the same offence here, comes across as a thoroughly unpleasant individual.

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/...boss-banned-for-harassing-inspector-1-8914821

...last week the Upper Tribunal Administrative Appeals Chamber, led by Judge H Levenson, upheld the operating ban both on the company and managing director Mr Higgs.

The ban will lead to two routes being scrapped – between Cleveleys and St Annes and between Fleetwood and Thornton.

It is not known whether Lancashire County Council will be able to find operators to continue the services.

The tribunal was told Mr Higgs had hired a private detective to follow Senior Traffic Commissioner (STC) Beverley Bell in 2015 , posting footage of her on YouTube. As a result he was issued with an harassment notice by Lancashire Police.

A report to the tribunal revealed: “Mr Higgs had developed a degree of personal animosity towards the STC.

“Mr Higgs had instructed a private investigator who, for three days, had followed the STC and filmed her driving her personal vehicle....

Last edited by a moderator:

Eyersey468

Established Member
I agree he comes across as a very unpleasant person who clearly can't be trusted.

Typhoon

Established Member
Previous attempts to run tourist services in Birmingham have been pretty short-lived I think.
I think you are right. I think the problem is that the most obvious stops on an ideal route are too far apart or too difficult to see from a bus. So you get 'look at this' then quarter hour later 'look at this'.

If anyone wants to get a flavour of Birmingham (not the same as a tourist service) you can do a lot worse than take a journey on the top deck of the number 11. WMPTE produced a leaflet describing places to see on the 11 and, no, it wasn't one side of A6!

Statto

Established Member
I think you are right. I think the problem is that the most obvious stops on an ideal route are too far apart or too difficult to see from a bus. So you get 'look at this' then quarter hour later 'look at this'.

If anyone wants to get a flavour of Birmingham (not the same as a tourist service) you can do a lot worse than take a journey on the top deck of the number 11. WMPTE produced a leaflet describing places to see on the 11 and, no, it wasn't one side of A6!

The famous Outer Circle, takes over 2 hours, was on it last autumn, but could do with newer vehicles, the regular fleet on that route are on 03 to 05 reg plate

Typhoon

Established Member
The famous Outer Circle, takes over 2 hours, was on it last autumn, but could do with newer vehicles, the regular fleet on that route are on 03 to 05 reg plate
Value for money!
(When I was strapped for cash I used to use it to get to/ from work - an hours trip but cheaper than two journeys through the city centre)

bussnapperwm

Established Member

I've done it by Metrobus, whole circle from AG. I've also done part of it by B10L

Happy days

AndyW33

Even better on a CVG6 or Arab IV, though a bit cold in the winter. (Birmingham didn't go in for cissy luxuries like proper heating on their open rear platform buses).

Status
Not open for further replies.