• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Phone signal on London Underground updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rebmcr

Established Member
The article is very focused on the data opportunities that 4G offers. The lack of any mention of voice calls means either:
  1. they don't want to enable it because phone calls would be unpleasant to listen to; or
  2. they don't want to mention it because phone calls will be unpleasant to listen to.
I really hope it's 1.

mrmartin

Phone calls will definitely work. Even if they didn't 'enable' them (which definitely won't be happening), Skype/Whatsapp etc all afford voice calls over data.

I very much doubt many people will make calls considering how noisy the tube is. You can barely have a conversation with someone a lot of the time sitting right next to you. I've been to many cities which have full coverage on the subway/underground and it's very rare to see people on the phone.

Desperately need to get data working though - it's such a pain if you're doing a long long tube journey not being able to read the news, get through emails, know if plans have changed wile you are en route, etc.

Nick66

Yes it does work I’ve been in enough underground systems in Europe and the US where there is good coverage for voice and data. Whether it would be a good idea to give people in London yet another reason to be totally oblivious to what is going on around them is another question...

trainmania100

Established Member
I like to access real time trains on the tube when signal is available.
Guess it's not going to be easy given how far underground the train is at most parts. You'd need signal boosters all along the lines

rebmcr

Established Member
I very much doubt many people will make calls considering how noisy the tube is. You can barely have a conversation with someone a lot of the time sitting right next to you.

At least once a week I currently get the satisfaction of hearing a chatterbox get cut off at the tunnel portal. :(

DavyCrocket

True.

As someone that can use a phone on a train in a tunnel, when the train is moving, it’s pointless! Can’t hear them, they can’t hear me!
Phone calls will definitely work. Even if they didn't 'enable' them (which definitely won't be happening), Skype/Whatsapp etc all afford voice calls over data.

I very much doubt many people will make calls considering how noisy the tube is. You can barely have a conversation with someone a lot of the time sitting right next to you. I've been to many cities which have full coverage on the subway/underground and it's very rare to see people on the phone.

Desperately need to get data working though - it's such a pain if you're doing a long long tube journey not being able to read the news, get through emails, know if plans have changed wile you are en route, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.