• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Photo Documentary Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMcBW

Hi All,

My name is Alex and I'm a photojournalist/documentary photographer who is looking to make a photo story about the world of train spotting and the people involved in it.

The hobby is something that I have often wondered about and something which I have to say, I don't feel I fully understand. I imagine that the majority of people who have seen people stood on the end of a platform with a camera and a packed lunch box don't really get it either and that it can be rather a misunderstood activity as a result (only the other day I was sat on a train listening to a dad explain to his young son what trainspotters were and how 'sad' they were).

Because of this I feel that it would be an interesting and somewhat important project to shed some light on this pass time and show to a wider audience the passion, expertise and dedication that that no doubt comes with being a train spotter.

I'm posting here just to say hi and to see if any spotter might be interested in telling me a little about how they view train spotting, what it is to them, why they do it, how they might do it (I imagine there can be more to it than listing a photographing trains), why it's important to them etc.

I'm based in London and am going to head over to London Bridge where I have seen people spotting before, again to say hi and see if they might be interested in being involved in the project. However I'd also like to know if there are any spots/stations that spotters will regularly visit, either in London or further afield, where I could go and meet some people within the spotting community.

I also wonder whether there are ever any meet-ups or gatherings held by the community, and whether there are other online forums dedicated to train spotting?

If anyone can chime in, I'd be happy to hear your thoughts/opinions/insight/advice. Of course if anyone thinks that they might be interested in showing me the ropes a little on one of their own spotting ventures then please do let me know.

Finally just for a bit of background about myself, you can view my website on the link below (I highly recommend you view this website on a computer as opposed to a tablet or smart phone)

www.alexandermcbridewilson.com

Also just in case anyone's interested in what I'd be doing with the images, and how I'd be shooting, here's a piece I did recently that was published by BBC on The Knowledge.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-35667599

Looking forward to hearing from you all anyway.

Many thanks

Alex

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alistair G.

Hello Alex,

I've been a train spotter (enthusiast, call it what you will) since I was 7 when I got my first book in 1989.

I'd be happy to share some stories and chat about why I do it, why I enjoy it and the benefits of it that I take from the hobbie

I also have a job on the railways (signaller) so it combines my past time and provides a living.

I'd rather not just go pouring out all matter of takes and stories over from over nearly 30 years of doing it because I dare say to most people reading it will seem rather "average" and I don't wish to bore anyone but they are my memories and I like them!

So if you want to discuss more and ask anymore questions you can PM me and I'd be happy to discuss further

Thanks

TheNewNo2

I see you've been to the Lenton flats in Nottingham. I used to be a student at Nottingham, though not in those flats.

I'm not averse to a chat, feel free to message me or something.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Hi,

I read your post with some interest and, despite not living in London, I would be happy to help you out with your project as I have a number of pictures and some rather amusing stories about my "adventures" out on the network.

Please feel free to contact me should you want to talk

AMcBW

This may seem a little strange but I'm really struggling to find where I can send PM's to individuals on this forum.. I appreciate all your replies but have so far only managed to find where I can make public posts on a person's profile. Maybe someone could help me out here..?!

Cheers

Strat-tastic

Established Member
This may seem a little strange but I'm really struggling to find where I can send PM's to individuals on this forum.. I appreciate all your replies but have so far only managed to find where I can make public posts on a person's profile. Maybe someone could help me out here..?!

Cheers

If you click User CP at the top of the page, you can then find the PM part on the Control Panel down the left of the page. :)

DaleCooper

Established Member

Cheers

I don't think you can send a pm until you have 5 posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.