• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Photo/memory request

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
On November the 21st 1981 I did the "Deltic Scotsman" railtour - not to be confused with the "Deltic Scotsman Farewell" a few weeks later.
This had 55002 running York - Leeds - Carlisle - Newcastle - Inverkeithing - Edinburgh and 55013 Edinburgh - Leeds - Bradford Exchange - Leeds - York.
My mate and I boarded at Leeds and left there on the return before it's trip to Bradford as it was running late and my parents were waiting to pick us up.

My main memories of that day are the youthful excitement as 55002 came into sight at Leeds, doing the S & C for the first time, a bloke with a full size "ALYCIDON" nameplate at Carlisle, the stagger along the Tyne Valley due, I believe, to greasy rails and a storming run from 55013.

I've seen a few photos of 55002 that day, but only one of 55013, my machine.
As it worked entirely in the dark I imagine there aren't many kicking about, but was wandering if anyone on here had or knew of any on-line that I could use to added to my nostalgia wallowing :)
Similarly, is there anyone who was also on it and has any good memories to share?

Many thanks,
Phil

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

delt1c

Established Member
55.013 was my favorite Deltic, had many great runs behind it and 1 notable failure at Morpeth

Status
Not open for further replies.