• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Photo of the Month :: December 2018 - Voting

December 2018

Votes: 10 17.9%

Votes: 12 21.4%

Votes: 22 39.3%

Votes: 12 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
To my mind 1 & 3 are let down by having too much falling snow evident, and 2 has the loco too close to the lineside tree. Which leaves 4, in which the desolation of cold weather travel is nicely heightened by the lack of people in the shot despite the train being at a normally busy station.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well done to deepgreen

01 - Fishquinn
02 - keithboddey
03 - deepgreen
04 - CC 72100

Deepgreen

Established Member
To my mind 1 & 3 are let down by having too much falling snow evident, and 2 has the loco too close to the lineside tree. Which leaves 4, in which the desolation of cold weather travel is nicely heightened by the lack of people in the shot despite the train being at a normally busy station.
Quite an odd view regarding falling snow, given that the subject was "trains in extreme weather" - should the snow have been lighter and...less extreme...perhaps? Hey ho.

Harbornite

Established Member
Quite an odd view regarding falling snow, given that the subject was "trains in extreme weather" - should the snow have been lighter and...less extreme...perhaps? Hey ho.

Indeed! Some people.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member

I suppose it's a matter of balance. For my taste the weather was just a little too dominant in the picture meaning the train was almost incidental. If the light had allowed then a slightly faster exposure could have reduced the extent of the blurring and made the train more visible. Ultimately it's about taste and opinion. But definitely hats off to anyone who gets out in such weather to even attempt such photography.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I suppose it's a matter of balance. For my taste the weather was just a little too dominant in the picture meaning the train was almost incidental. If the light had allowed then a slightly faster exposure could have reduced the extent of the blurring and made the train more visible. Ultimately it's about taste and opinion. But definitely hats off to anyone who gets out in such weather to even attempt such photography.
Fair enough - I'd defend anyone's right to state their opinion - however wrong (only joking!).