• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Photo Sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluecont

I am interesting in looking into getting a free photo website some time soon.

Basically I am interested if there is one clear 'best site' from the point of view of the publisher, or the end user.

Any way the question is which photo sites are good, and which arent. And I would be grateful for any opinions before the 7th.

Thanks
Ian

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Met Driver

Established Member
I'd go for fotopic. It's relatively easy to use - I grasped pretty much everything within a few days of having started using it. You have 250mb of free space, but you have to pay for extra once that's used up. I'm not sure of the rates exactly, but IIRC they're not too bad.

If it's simply image hosting you're after, go for photobucket.

ChrisM

I use Fotopic and find it easy to use and pay for premium fotopic @ £45 per year but the free fotopic is just enough for most.

T

Tom

RailUK's photo gallery will be coming back up soon, but sometimes it is best to buy hosting and host your own gallery (that way you have no small limit on how much you can upload!)

Craig

Established Member
bluecont said:
Any way the question is which photo sites are good
Mine's great ;)

Seriously though, think about making your own webiste. That way you can have everything the way you want it. I'd avoid using Fotopic, IMO photos don't look as good as they could on there. I think it's due to the way they edit them once you've uploaded them.

Dennis

Established Member
I would certainly recommend fotopic - it is incredibly quick and easy to use although I would agree with the comment about the image quality being degraded. I don't think this is really a problem though, as most of the time I expect the images viewed are not studied in any great detail.

The only problem I seem to find with fotopic is that sometimes I cannot view images on other peoples sites, all I get is the description and file size.

See my site at dennis-lance.fotopic.net

David

Established Member
jdan said:
Everyone seems to use Fotopic...
Because it easy it use. I got the hang of it inside 5 minutes. If a novice (like me) can use it. anybody can. :P :D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I combo my workings between photobucket.com and Fotopic. Some stuff gets put on photobucket, more gets put on Fotopic.

The Fotopic one is crying out for new images and collections, plus a major revamp, which I will have to put into action soon. I've certainly got enough photos to upload!

Tom B

Established Member
Dennis said:
The only problem I seem to find with fotopic is that sometimes I cannot view images on other peoples sites, all I get is the description and file size.

Turn off banner ad blocking.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think the downgrading of quality on Fotopic is only when it reduces the size of images?

I just upload mine at 800x600, that way they display fine on most people's screens and don't need to be downsized by Fotopic, and I don't have to worry about taking up loads of space. It also means people can download my images easily.

I still have the full size originals of course.

I've done a bit of updating/tidying, http://yorkie.fotopic.net. I have disabled comments due to an individual (not on this forum) abusing that facility. I advise you all keep an eye out for nasty people leaving abusive comments. Their IP addresses are logged, however.

evil_hippo

One thing about fotopic...

Why does it show so few thumbnails?

You get entire collections that you can't access because there are no thumbnails.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Just click on 'More Collections', although you dont need to use that if the Gallery Owner has set the Front Page My Collections to about 100 or so.

T

Tom

evil_hippo said:
One thing about fotopic...

Why does it show so few thumbnails?

You get entire collections that you can't access because there are no thumbnails.

evil_hippo, found the solution, your adblocker is blocking the pics. :)

Dennis

Established Member
Excuse my ignorance but where can I change adblocker settings to prevent the missing thumbnail problem (am using IE 6) - seems odd to me that in most collections I can see some.

Status
Not open for further replies.