• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Photographic Locations in the North West

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sankey Wire

Over the last couple of months, I have been trying to get back into rail photography. Having never been one for platform ends, I have been going to either Winwick Junction or Moore; however, I’m keen to broaden my horizons and take pictures in a few new spots.

As such, I thought it might be an idea to set up this thread, to share information on the best spots?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Trainspots certainly looks like a good place to start as it lists many of the popular NW locations but it doesn't appear to have been updated for about 15 years so some are now unusuable due to new OHLE or rampant vegetation growth.

Sankey Wire

I had a look at Trainspots last night, but was conscious that it seemed relatively untouched for some time.

I went down to Moore on Saturday, which was a good location.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Everyone has their own idea about what constitutes a "good" photo location, and it depends what you want to photograph. Plenty of good locations in the Hope Valley, especially near Edale. Also some good spots on the Calder Valley line near Rochdale / Smithy Bridge / Littleborough / Todmorden. Try travelling around the area by train using day ranger / rover tickets and look out of the train for potentially interesting locations (but beware, when you visit the locations, you may find some have inconveniently located bushes or trees.)

Status
Not open for further replies.