• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Photographic Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonb

Established Member
After a request from Yorkie yesterday to provide a list of Photographic locations in the London area I thought I would get started straight away. I will endeavour to provide as much information as possible (E.G. Nearest Station) If anyone has any questions please feel free to PM Me.

Cromwell Road Bridge

- Nearest Tube Station - West Kensington.

- Nearest Mainline Station - Kensington Olympia

- Directions - From West Kensington Tube Station take a right until you reach a Main Road. Turn right once you are on the Main Road and you will reach Cromwell Road Bridge.

- Railway Type/Traffic - Silverlink - 313, Southern - 377, EWS - 60/66/67/92, Freightliner 47/57/66, DRS - 20/37, GBRf 66/73.

Harringay Park Junction

Nearest Tube Station - N/A

Nearest Mainline Station - Harringay

- Directions - From Harringay Station take a left when you come out of the station past the small shops. When you reach a crossroads take a left and continue downhill until you see a block of small flats and a Bridge Crossing the Railway. Take a left and you are here.

- Railway Type/Traffic - Harringay Park Junction (The line from the ECML) Freightliner 47. Gospel Oak Line - Silverlink 313, EWS 60/66/67, Freightliner 47/57/66, GBRf 66, DRS 66, MendipRail 59.

- Notes - The line from the ECML (Harringay Park Junction) Is only operational during Weekdays and only a handful of trains use it a day. The Freightliner operated Freme Park - Chart leacon Drag uses this small line about 11.00AM however you should arrive at 10.30 just in case it leaves early. Please note that this drag will not run for much longer so there is not many oppurtunites left. I will post about Drags in the Gen section when I recieve information.

Wandsworth Road

Nearest Mainline Station - Wansdworth Road

Directions - N/A

Railway Type/Traffic - Southern 377/455/456/Slammers, South Eastern 465/466/375/Slammers, EWS 60/66/67/92, Freightliner 47/57/66, GBRf 66/73, MedipRail 59, DRS 20/37

Notes - Wandsworth Road is definitely worth a visit. with Battersea Power Station in the background the shot is excellent. There is a good flow of freight through the station especially during the week. As well as Charters out of Victoria, etc. Wandsworth Road can be reached by taking a train from London Victoria or London Bridge. The service is every 30 mins. You should be careful as Wansdworth is not the greatest area in London. Going in a small group is a good idea and the station is well used by locals.

Shoeburyness MOD

Nearest Mainline Station - Shoeburyness

Directions - From Shoeburyness Station cross the road and head through the Park area until you rejoin the single MOD Branch line. Go through the small gate until you are at the MOD entrance. Continue down Peel Road to view stored locos/units inside the site.

Railway Type/Traffic - GBRf 66

Notes - The MoD at Shoeburyness is a massive site as some of you may know it stretches for Miles and even has its own islands. Movement of stock from the MoD Site is usually one day a week heading out of the site to Newport for Scrap. The timetabled departure time is 10.40 but this has known to run early/late. The movement of stock to the site has now ceased, there may be the odd movement but most traffic will be heading out of the site. When you are taking photos inside the MoD site you should not have a problem and if you have a small lens you can poke your camera through to obtain shots from inside the site.

South Croydon Footbridge

Nearest Mainline Station - South Croydon

Directions - From South Croydon Station take a right and head through the Car Park area and up onto the bridge. Turn right onto the bridge.

Railway Type/Traffic - Southern 455/456/377/Slammers, Gatwick Express 73/460, Thameslink 319, EWS 60/66/67

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Julian G

Established Member
jonb said:
After a request from Yorkie yesterday to provide a list of Photographic locations in the London area I thought I would get started straight away. I will endeavour to provide as much information as possible (E.G. Nearest Station) If anyone has any questions please feel free to PM Me.

Cromwell Road Bridge

- Directions - From West Kensington Tube Station take a right until you reach a Main Road. Turn right once you are on the Main Road and you will reach Cromwell Road Bridge.

- Railway Type/Traffic - Silverlink - 313, Southern - 377, EWS - 60/66/67/92, Freightliner 47/57/66, DRS - 20/37, GBRf 66/73.
do remember that you may get cl150s, and cl319s running from time to time on the WLL
you also missed out cl59 and Eurostars's cl37s

i will post the "Clapham Cutting" location quite soon :)

Julian G

Established Member
jonb said:
Cromwell Road Bridge

that main road is North End Road
IF You want to get to West Kensington from Kensington Olympia, You are advised to take the BUS Number 28

Julian G

Established Member
Jordy said:
Interesting, do you know any locations around Wimbledon area?

Jordy
i think there's the Wimbledon Depot which is quite near Wimbledon Park

Julian G

Established Member
Where 58's still operate in commercial service...
Yesterday I bought the book "Slam doors on the southern" by Michael Welch. (bought at the LTM shop).

The book is all-colour and shows you smoe surprising locations. Including one at Wimbledon. I would say.... Try the multi-store car park. (I dont know if it's still there)

By the way, I can recommand this book to everyone.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Jim said:
joea1 said:
What about Acton Wells and Acton Canal Wharf?

What about them? :?

I guess he's writing to ask why they aren't in the above list. Write descriptions similar to those above if you wish Joea.

Jim

Established Member
laverack222 said:
Jim said:
joea1 said:
What about Acton Wells and Acton Canal Wharf?

What about them? :?

I guess he's writing to ask why they aren't in the above list. Write descriptions similar to those above if you wish Joea.

I was thinking of saying that myself :lol:

May I suggest someone clears this thread?

AJP: Becuase it is where Jon lives (well near) so made a helpfull thread (or to show off his pics ;)

taw valley

from victoria to west ahm and new haw is around the hour

ive only been there onces for pictures of tangmere on a vsoe but saw a bit of frieght going past in the 30 mins i was there

Julian G

Established Member
taw valley said:
from victoria to west ahm and new haw is around the hour

ive only been there onces for pictures of tangmere on a vsoe but saw a bit of frieght going past in the 30 mins i was there
West Byfleet & New Haw?

LucaZone

Heres a few more

West Ealing Junction
  • Nearest Tube Station - Ealing Broadway (Central Line)
  • Nearest Mainline Station - West Ealing / Drayton Green
  • Directions - From West Ealing, turn left on the bridge out of the station, take the first left at the end of the bridge. Follow the road alongside the railway. Pass the industrial units and down the far side of them is access to the footbridge.
  • Railway Type/Traffic - First Great Western (HST's/180's), First Great Western Link (165's/166's), Heathrow Connect (350's), Heathrow Express (332's), Yomen/Hanson (59's), EWS (60's/66's/67's), Freightliner (57's/66's), GBRf (66's), Mendiprail (59's), Plasser Units (The bridge overlooks the GWML Plasser Site)
  • Additional - Be aware of other people. This footbridge is very near a large housing estate, with less than desireable individuals. Preferably dont be alone.
Didcot North Junction
  • Nearest Tube Station - N/A
  • Nearest Mainline Station - Didcot Parkway
  • Directions - Turn left out of the station and again onto Cow Lane (passes under the mainline). Straight after the bridge take another left, and follow the cycle path alongside the Didcot Avoiding Line. Footbridge is about 1/2 mile
  • Railway Type/Traffic - First Great Western (HST's/180's), First Great Western Link (165's/166's), EWS (60's/66's, Freightliner (57's/66's) Virgin (220's/221's)

jonb

Established Member
LucaZone said:
Heres a few more

West Ealing Junction
  • Nearest Tube Station - Ealing Broadway (Central Line)
  • Nearest Mainline Station - West Ealing / Drayton Green
  • Directions - From West Ealing, turn left on the bridge out of the station, take the first left at the end of the bridge. Follow the road alongside the railway. Pass the industrial units and down the far side of them is access to the footbridge.
  • Railway Type/Traffic - First Great Western (HST's/180's), First Great Western Link (165's/166's), Heathrow Connect (350's), Heathrow Express (332's), Yomen/Hanson (59's), EWS (60's/66's/67's), Freightliner (57's/66's), GBRf (66's), Mendiprail (59's), Plasser Units (The bridge overlooks the GWML Plasser Site)
  • Additional - Be aware of other people. This footbridge is very near a large housing estate, with less than desireable individuals. Preferably dont be alone.

Thanks for that been wondering how to get this for a long time. Have been discouraged though as you say due to the area where the bridge is situated. Not sure how true this is so don't take my word for it but supposedly 'Gangs' group up at each end of this bridge and prevent you from getting away. Again please do not be discouraged i'm just going on things I have heard.

LucaZone

Well thats more of a worst possible case, and would require pre-planned co-ordination because without using the bridge its a fair way round. As with anywhere in central London though, with a high-powered digital camera you need to be aware that its a rather attractive piece of equipment.

My point was mainly regarding other people using the bridge. Be conscious of them and dont offload your jacket, camera bag onto the floor. Dont be in the middle of a shot when they pass, and make sure they arent eying you up.

Id rather be overcausious than caught out on an off chance mugging.

Met Driver

Established Member
jonb said:
Thanks for that been wondering how to get this for a long time. Have been discouraged though as you say due to the area where the bridge is situated. Not sure how true this is so don't take my word for it but supposedly 'Gangs' group up at each end of this bridge and prevent you from getting away. Again please do not be discouraged i'm just going on things I have heard.

This bridge is fairly local to me. I'm not too sure about gangs congregating at each end of the bridge, but there's a council estate at both ends of it, both of which house some families with some serious social problems. Going there to take photos really isn't a risk worth taking IMO, unless you're in a largish group and you feel you have the ability to protect yourself & your equipment.

taw valley

jonb said:
but supposedly 'Gangs' group up at each end of this bridge and prevent you from getting away

nah cant be are chavs really that well orginaized??? if thats the case then will a chav get a "B" grade in the next test nahhh cant be lol

LucaZone

LucaZone

Any suggestions for good places to catch freight on the GWML?

Ive taken days off work (sssshhhh) yet I still seem only able to capture passenger stock (vast majority is anyway i know), but even with Freight Master I never seem to be in the right place at the right time, or am not seeing the freight listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.