• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Photographing in London Terminii

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom

If you contact the LUL Film Office for Tube Photography, most station staff don't mind if you book in or not.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
LucaZone said:
well this was a complete joke. decided to try it out and follow suggestions from here about getting a 'Station Pass'.

Went to the ticket office at Paddington. They sent me to the Customer Reception Desk opposite the London Underground stair case. They then directed me to the Network Rail reception off of Platform 1. The Network rail desk pointed me to the Ticket Office!

They all recognised what I was asking for, and new the Duty Manager was needed, so I didnt need to explain much. In the end I gave up and just went around the station taking pics as usual! Noone seemed bothered about me taking pics anywhere, even when Platforms 2/3/4/5 were off limits from the concourse end.

Takes 5 minutes?...more like waste of 15! Sorry but it would appear its not as straight forward as everyone makes out.

Careful I got searched there on suspicion of a reconaissance act for taking a pic of a HST.

Coxster

Established Member
I just take photos. If they want to search me then fine - I have nothing to hide.

Dad, however, has a habit of arguing with the security blokes. They end up calling their superior as they say he scares them, their superiors being BTP officers who really couldn't give a sh*t!

RJ

Established Member
That was my attitude at first. But it's really embarrasing when a train load of people walk past and watch you as the police search you. And I could have sworn that they were taking pictures of me as well.

Jonno2055

joea1 said:
London Bridge - Always spotters there, staff never hassle.

BY coincidence that was the station where I was told to stop taking photos of the trains. Luckily the train I was taking a pic of was the train I needed to get. By the way, Clapham Junction is fine to go to.

Although I was near a security camera, may have thought that that was what I was taking a photos of. When I was at victoria, this japanese woman was filming on her camera phone and two station staff literally sprinted down the platform shouting at her to stop!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Jonno2055 said:
Although I was near a security camera, may have thought that that was what I was taking a photos of. When I was at victoria, this japanese woman was filming on her camera phone and two station staff literally sprinted down the platform shouting at her to stop!
Might be worth videoing their behaviour, and sending a copy to their superiors.
--- edited ---
joea1 said:
That was my attitude at first. But it's really embarrasing when a train load of people walk past and watch you as the police search you. And I could have sworn that they were taking pictures of me as well.
I think they have to give you the reasons why you were searched in writing, do you have that?
--- edited ---
LucaZone said:
Takes 5 minutes?...more like waste of 15! Sorry but it would appear its not as straight forward as everyone makes out.
Sounds about right! There is no legal requirement for you to get permission anyway. There aren't even notices saying that (and there won't be because the people in charge don't have any wish to restrict photography!), so the only way of 'knowing' you are 'supposed' (dubious!) to get permission is through the internet, but it's wrong of anyone to assume you have internet access let alone have visited some obscure page on ATOC's site.

BTW, I know one of the people who claimed it's straightforward to get a pass and that you should do so, was refused 'permission' to take photos at King's Cross, but he did so anyway! lol.

RJ

Established Member
yorkie said:
I think they have to give you the reasons why you were searched in writing, do you have that?

Yep - under some Terrorist act :roll:

Sprog

Established Member
LucaZone said:
well this was a complete joke. decided to try it out and follow suggestions from here about getting a 'Station Pass'.

Went to the ticket office at Paddington. They sent me to the Customer Reception Desk opposite the London Underground stair case. They then directed me to the Network Rail reception off of Platform 1. The Network rail desk pointed me to the Ticket Office!

They all recognised what I was asking for, and new the Duty Manager was needed, so I didnt need to explain much. In the end I gave up and just went around the station taking pics as usual! Noone seemed bothered about me taking pics anywhere, even when Platforms 2/3/4/5 were off limits from the concourse end.

Mate. I never bother at Paddington.

As you say, the staff dont care. Its other stations where you get problems.

KX, Waterloo and Liverpool Street seem to be the main problem areas.

What you should do IMO is:

When you go onto a terminus, approach either a BPT copper/Commity Support Offcier and just politley ask them if photogrpahy is allowed and wether u need 2 sign in etc. Failing a copper, just ask a member of Dispatch or a member of staff on the platform (TOC or NR). (NOT A CLEANER) :roll: They are meerly contractors and most have a law of there own. They talk crap and they ARE NOT the prople you need to speak 2.

If they say your ok to phot., then fine! :D, just carry on. Remebering to stay back from platfrom edges and Crowds. And NO flash ;)

If you do need a pass, then they should direct you to the right place.

But hounestly, Paddington is an exception. You houneslty should get no hassle unless you start crossing into those ares on the platform ends that are offically 'off limits'. The platform arrangments at PAad. are slighly odd.

Hope this helps..........

TicketMan

yorkie said:
visited some obscure page on ATOC's site.
Hardly obscure - it's highlighted on the National Rail Enquiries site...

BTW, I know one of the people who claimed it's straightforward to get a pass and that you should do so, was refused 'permission' to take photos at King's Cross, but he did so anyway! lol.

That's his chjoice. However I have never had difficulty in obtaining a pass... Simply ask any member of staff where to find the duty manager's office - Easy.

TM

class 313

Established Member
Although this is about termini stations in london i never ask for permission, The last time i was at watford, Someone from Virgin trains just came up to me and said "Its ok for you to be here just dont go anywere on the track and keep behind the yello line when a fast train is coming as they come through here over 100MPH" i have never had problems taking pictures.

Tom B

Established Member
joea1 said:
Yep - under some Terrorist act :roll:

...and they claim these Acts would not be misused.

They're nothing to do with Terrorism, they just give the Government power to do what it wants to someone - call them a "Terrorist" (sans evidence) and you can do what the hell you like to them.

Read 1984, it's an eyebrow raiser...

TicketMan

Given the terrible events that unfolded in London less than a year ago, would you rather our elected government sat back and did nothing? Yes, I agree that the anti terrorism years that have been passed since 9/11 have been knee jerk reactions, but it is in my opinion to go too far than not far enough.

On the issue of railway security staff, the industry takes security very seriously - in order to ensure the safety of it's customers and staff. Even at a small station like the one I work at, I am expected to do several security checks per shift.

As for the arguement 'do I look like a terrorist'... let me just point out one thing. Most people who engage in our hobby in any form are white males. (note I said most) Only a few years ago we were battling terrorists who were also white males - the Irish. If anyone here can describe a terrorist, please report them to the police - i'm sure they'd appreciate the description...

TM

LucaZone

joea1 said:

You make it sound like a strip search! Complete OTT I think. All they do is ask you what your taking pictures of; why your taking them; if you work for a company who want them; etc... General questions to judge whether you should be doing what your doing. I doubt they'd even frisk you, as what would they be expecting to find? a hidden AK47 in your sleave?

Ive been searched under the Terrosim Act 200, and that was for accidentally spying on the Prime Minister himself! (I honestly didnt know it was him!), So I know what to expect.

All you have to do is be honest - "Im here taking pics of trains for personal reasons" If your worried about a train load of people staring at you while you're talking with the police, why are you taking pics of trains at all? :P People point, laugh and stare at us anyway! hehe

Craig

Established Member
TicketMan said:
Given the terrible events that unfolded in London less than a year ago, would you rather our elected government sat back and did nothing?
No, but surely stop and searching people for no real reason other than they might be a terrorist is a bit extreme? Perhaps an informal chat with the person would be better, then if they had any real suspisions they could do a search?

class 313

Established Member
LucaZone said:
why are you taking pics of trains at all? :P People point, laugh and stare at us anyway! hehe

So so true, i was at watford on plat 6 when two people came from my year up to the plat opposite plat 10 and started shout my name and shouting " haha he likes trains... etc"

devon_metro

Established Member
class 313 said:
So so true, i was at watford on plat 6 when two people came from my year up to the plat opposite plat 10 and started shout my name and shouting " haha he likes trains... etc"

Thank god i have never seen anybody i know! Despite Paignton being in the town centre! I try and stay away :p

RJ

Established Member
LucaZone said:
You make it sound like a strip search! Complete OTT I think. All they do is ask you what your taking pictures of; why your taking them; if you work for a company who want them; etc... General questions to judge whether you should be doing what your doing. I doubt they'd even frisk you, as what would they be expecting to find? a hidden AK47 in your sleave?

IIf your worried about a train load of people staring at you while you're talking with the police, why are you taking pics of trains at all? :P People point, laugh and stare at us anyway! hehe

Don't think you read what I posted - talking with the police and being searched by them are different things. They told me they were going to search me before they started asking questions. I don't mind talking to the police, it happens all the time when you're with your mates in town-in fact, wherever I am, I get asked what I'm doing by the BTP. Even when I was with a crowd of people photting the last 86 at Liv St, they asked me why I was there. I don't think it's OTT - it was the first time I got searched and all I was doing was taking pics on an HST. It is embarassing to have dozens of people watching you while the police search you like some bomber. Especially because of my appearance, I could probably guess what they were thinking.

As for the arguement 'do I look like a terrorist'... let me just point out one thing. Most people who engage in our hobby in any form are white males. (note I said most)

Yeah, most. It's a shame that they can't draw the line at kids though.
--- edited ---
class 313 said:

To be honest, I couldn't give two ***** what people I know say. They soon shut up when I showed them my cheque from Rail. Heck, I even bring my digital prints into school and show them. They even say that my pics are good.

Tom B

Established Member
TicketMan said:
Given the terrible events that unfolded in London less than a year ago, would you rather our elected government sat back and did nothing? Yes, I agree that the anti terrorism years that have been passed since 9/11 have been knee jerk reactions, but it is in my opinion to go too far than not far enough.

On the issue of railway security staff, the industry takes security very seriously - in order to ensure the safety of it's customers and staff. Even at a small station like the one I work at, I am expected to do several security checks per shift.

As for the arguement 'do I look like a terrorist'... let me just point out one thing. Most people who engage in our hobby in any form are white males. (note I said most) Only a few years ago we were battling terrorists who were also white males - the Irish. If anyone here can describe a terrorist, please report them to the police - i'm sure they'd appreciate the description...

TM

But then you end up doing the terrorist's job for them.

They wish to impose their vision of the world on us - all powerful state etc.

On one hand they could do a traditional "military" attack - drop bombs from aircraft, invade with tamks etc and seize control of a country.

Or they could do it the easy way. Plant a few bombs, cause lots of casualties - yes. Then the Government introduces laws which end up doing the terrorist's job for them.

And what do you know, the terrorists have managed to impose their way of thinking onto the country!

As Craig said they don't even need to have a proper reason - just PC Plod in a bad mood says "He looks like a terrorist" and the guy can be arrested for god knows how long and detained for a stupid emount of time sans proper evidence.

What happened to a free country?

As for having the urine extracted from you, ignore them. They'll get bored soon. Some people decided to try and search for my name last year at school for such purposes... dunno *what* happened to their folders on the fileserver... </BOFH>

Julian G

Established Member
class 313 said:
just ignore them, trust me it works
if they said that to me,
i would say
"So what"

class 313

Established Member
joea1 said:
To be honest, I couldn't give two ***** what people I know say. They soon shut up when I showed them my cheque from Rail. Heck, I even bring my digital prints into school and show them. They even say that my pics are good.
Yes to right but the people who saw me well, hate me. But my mates who dont really like trains we do said my shots were good.

Yorkie and swt/458 will remember the people taking the **** out of us people who like trains, pretty funny really when yorkie came in =D, Aso they were all chavs ;)

devon_metro

Established Member
I don't see whats wrong with liking them...

People don't seem to give a s*** about people who like cars. etc,

What's so bad about trains
:thefinge: That's what i think of them :p

Sturdjos

How easy is it to get a LUL Filming / Photographing permit, so it's over the whole network?(Or whatever they're now called ) How much d'ya have to pay?

Julian G said:
just ignore them, trust me it works
if they said that to me,
i would say
"So what"

its kind of hard to ignore peaple like that when they start aiming stuff at your head :violent3: try finding pc plod or a security guard when you actulley want one:(

Craig

Established Member
117305 said:
its kind of hard to ignore peaple like that when they start aiming stuff at your head
That's one of the dangers of looking like a FAF in public...

Craig said:
That's one of the dangers of looking like a *** in public...

craig for the last time grow up your joke is no longer funny get a life get over it please.
Oh yes and those lads wernt laughing when i returned the objects to them a lot faster then they throw them at me:D ,they soon ran bullys are cowards at the end of the day who always get they faced covered when the joke backfires:evil2:

Craig

Established Member
117305 said:
craig for the last time grow up your joke is no longer funny get a life get over it please.
Oh yes and those lads wernt laughing when i returned the objects to them a lot faster then they throw them at me:D ,they soon ran bullys are cowards at the end of the day who always get they faced covered when the joke backfires:evil2:
Perhaps if you didn't look like a stoat people wouldn't throw things at you?

I have a life thanks, luckily for me it doesn't involve wearing shorts and baseball caps...

Sprog

Established Member
LOL :lol: :lol:

Will the fun ever end................!!??

everything ends in time i guess even my life although it might end sooner then expected as someone has emailed me and hoped i will die.:happy9:.
And before the mods or boss asks no its on one from here :color: its one person from somewhere else:sleepy3:

Status
Not open for further replies.