• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Photographing in London Terminii

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisM

117305 said:
everything ends in time i guess even my life although it might end sooner then expected as someone has emailed me and hoped i will die.:happy9:.
Just take no notice the holidays are over soon. :rolleyes:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LucaZone

is it worth cullying this thread back to a station list again:
  • Staff insistant that your require a pass
  • Staff prefer if you have a pass
  • Staff not worried about photographers

Can add Hayes & Harlington to the 'Require a pass', and West Drayton to the 'Staff not worried' list.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Personally, I've never found it's that simple. Some stations I've heard a lot of bad things about, yet have never had problems even though I've taken photos in full view of staff (liverpool st and victoria), wheras other stations I've heard people say are fine, yet I've had problems or know others who have. It's possible to get trouble on a quiet rural station if someone sees you and for whatever reason doesn't think you should be photographing. It tends to be individual staff that are the problem, rarther than station policy. Oviously, if it is policy, then a list would be good, but we need to be careful not to mix one badly informed or just plain anti-enthusiast staff member with it being station policy. Really, I'd say all London stations, in particular those operated by NR, are in the "Staff prefer if you have a pass" list, but it depends on individual staff if they will turn a blind eye or if they will give you trouble.

Craig

Established Member
LucaZone said:
Can add Hayes & Harlington to the 'Require a pass' list.
I've taken photos at Hayes & Harlington without being bothered by staff. IIRC I was there for an hour or so.

The only place I can think of where I've had trouble is at Paddington (HEX platforms). However, once I'd explained what I was doing and that I was travelling on the train too the staff were ok.

RJ

Established Member
Hmm, the police stopped me at Paddington again - except this time I was walking out of the underground station and wasn't bothering anybody - I went through the ticket barriers then they picked me out of all the people who passed at the same time and start asking me questions, checking my tickets and insinuating that I had something to hide from them :roll:

The HeX staff are alright. On weekend when the Picadilly Line was part out of action, Travelcards were accepted on the HeX. However it was a Friday and was off school and I forgot that it was a Friday! So I went on the HeX without a valid ticket :( I explained everything to the RPI - she didn't fine me, but I suffered a worse punishment - having to take the Picadilly all the way back to Central London!

LucaZone

Craig said:
I've taken photos at Hayes & Harlington without being bothered by staff. IIRC I was there for an hour or so.

The only place I can think of where I've had trouble is at Paddington (HEX platforms). However, once I'd explained what I was doing and that I was travelling on the train too the staff were ok.

hehe ive never been stopped at paddington for any reason what so ever, and i even had trouble trying to get hold of pass to make them happy!

Regarding Hayes, were you on Platform 1....the locked platform.....
Edited (by doublepost prevention system):
joea1 said:
Hmm, the police stopped me at Paddington again - except this time I was walking out of the underground station and wasn't bothering anybody - I went through the ticket barriers then they picked me out of all the people who passed at the same time and start asking me questions, checking my tickets and insinuating that I had something to hide from them :roll:

In this instance I would say there is some other reason why you were stopped, rather than it being for trying to take pictures. As it would appear you were singled out from a crowd, and that is normally a rather rare occurance.....

What are you normally dressed in? anything that could border on that of the 'anti-social' crowds?

ChrisM said:
Just take no notice the holidays are over soon. :rolleyes:

It aint over yet as ive had another death threat from someone in glasgow.:study:
Back on subject wonder how many "Incidents" have been prevented over the years bye rail fans with cameras :tongue5:

RJ

Established Member
LucaZone said:
In this instance I would say there is some other reason why you were stopped, rather than it being for trying to take pictures. As it would appear you were singled out from a crowd, and that is normally a rather rare occurance.....

What are you normally dressed in? anything that could border on that of the 'anti-social' crowds?

I was wearing an overcoat and dark blue tracksuit bottoms.They need to stop stopping me, there are far more dodgy characters around.

Julian G

Established Member
joea1 said:
I was wearing an overcoat and dark blue tracksuit bottoms.They need to stop stopping me, there are far more dodgy characters around.
interesting point
You could tell the police that you are a Train Enthusiast

RJ

Established Member
Julian G said:
interesting point
You could tell the police that you are a Train Enthusiast

I did before they searched me!!! I don't think they should approach me because my appearance isn't that of a 'conventional' enthusiast!

I sincerely hope that Waterloo isn't on the hit list for the next attack :( I think they should have extra security monitoring the station.

TicketMan

joea1 said:
I sincerely hope that Waterloo isn't on the hit list for the next attack :( I think they should have extra security monitoring the station.

So you want more security, but you don't want them to stop you?

Can't have it both ways...

Tom B

Established Member
What they fail to realise is security checks will not deter any potential suicide bombers, they will just set off their explosived if they're challenged. Look at how many Iraqi bombs are detonated at check points.

Tom B

Established Member
I don't mean we shouldn't attempt to stop them, of course treat unattended articles as dangerous etc. but at the end of the day randomly searching people because they've got a camera will not stop terrorists. It will give the politicans good ratings because people see it and it looks good. The manpower could be put to use in other places for a much higher gain.

TicketMan

Sorry to be blunt my dear Cockfosters, but you are talking thru *EDIT THROUGH* your backside.

Believe it or not, the public like to see things being done. Security guards on stations reassure the little darlings.

Fine, it might not acheive much in the way of dissuading terrorists from their quest, but the public FEEL safer, and I'm sure that the staff at the stations concerned feel safer too.

Sprog

Established Member
TicketMan said:
Sorry to be blunt my dear Cockfosters, but you are talking thru *EDIT THROUGH* your backside.

Believe it or not, the public like to see things being done. Security guards on stations reassure the little darlings.

Fine, it might not acheive much in the way of dissuading terrorists from their quest, but the public FEEL safer, and I'm sure that the staff at the stations concerned feel safer too.

Also has the added bonus that if any non-terrorist little Scrotes/drunks/thugs/chav kick off, it can be delt with by spcially employed people, as opposed to Staff, who to often tolerate an unbeleiveable amount of BullSh*t from this 'scum' element of society, and can often end up getting assulted or worse.

TicketMan

Don't even get me started on scumbags. I was spat at at 06.25 this morning because a train was delayed. The reason the train was delayed was due to a bridge bash - i.e. some arsehole lorry driver doesn't know the height of his own vehicle.

Luckily there was a window between myself and this scrote, but it is just one incident, the like of which happen daily, not just to me, but to staff across the network. Idiots like those who decide to argue wit staff over the 'right' to photograph trains/stations/whatever don't make the job any easier, or any less stressful.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my job, most of the time, however, for £15k a year (ish) I don't need that sort of ****, from ANYBODY.

/rant

Tom B

Established Member
So it's better spending money on something with little effect but it looks good, rather than something which will stop the problem but perhaps won't look so good to the punters?

TicketMan

Sometimes, yes. People want to SEE action. They don't want to hear about what is being done they want to see a positive form of action. Security guards are pointless if they don't challenge people hanging about. And lets be honest, 'trainspotters' hang about on stations - the same stations that are seen as targets by some.

What do you propose if not visible security?

RJ

Established Member
TicketMan said:
So you want more security, but you don't want them to stop you?

Can't have it both ways...

Maybe not but all the same, I'm just a kid, they do have better things to do with their time. From my view I was being watched for about 10 minutes before they came up to me, I remember this flash CCTV camera which kept going off - and it was pointed right towards me. If I was a real terror threat then why would they hang about taking pictures of me???

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
TicketMan said:
Don't even get me started on scumbags. I was spat at at 06.25 this morning because a train was delayed. The reason the train was delayed was due to a bridge bash - i.e. some arsehole lorry driver doesn't know the height of his own vehicle.

Luckily there was a window between myself and this scrote, but it is just one incident, the like of which happen daily, not just to me, but to staff across the network. Idiots like those who decide to argue wit staff over the 'right' to photograph trains/stations/whatever don't make the job any easier, or any less stressful.
The person who spat at you was a photter?! :o

LucaZone

joea1 said:
I remember this flash CCTV camera which kept going off - and it was pointed right towards me. If I was a real terror threat then why would they hang about taking pictures of me???
CCTV cameras dont flash.........

Julian G

Established Member
LucaZone said:
CCTV cameras dont flash.........
Actually they do, there is one flashing close to Baron's Court, taking photos of the cars passing on the M4 (near to Hammersmith & West London College)

T

Tom

LMAO. That is the best thing I've heard ever on RUK. LMAO!!!!

Julian, that is a speed camera. :)

S Lowes

Julian G said:
Actually they do, there is one flashing close to Baron's Court, taking photos of the cars passing on the M4 (near to Hammersmith & West London College)

PMSL :lol: :lol: :lol:

TicketMan

yorkie said:
The person who spat at you was a photter?! :o

I don't recall saying that Yorkie - read the post again - my point is that the job is difficult enough WITHOUT dickhead photters/spotters/neds/****s giving myself and my colleagues greif.

RJ

Established Member
Julian G said:

The M4 starts west of Chiswick ;)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
TicketMan said:
I don't recall saying that Yorkie - read the post again - my point is that the job is difficult enough WITHOUT dickhead photters/spotters/neds/****s giving myself and my colleagues greif.
I did read the post, which was about a spitting incident, and then went on to mention photters in the same paragraph. I am not sure what the link is though.

Status
Not open for further replies.