• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Photography and the law?

Status
Not open for further replies.

james60059

Hi Folks,

I'd like to ask advice please, I do a lot of road haulage photography as well as railways and over the last 12 months I've had a couple of e-mails from hauliers asking me to remove images of their vehicles as I don't have "authority" to put them on.

Can anyone assist as to where I stand LEGALLY if I refuse to remove these images. If it helps ALL images are taken on the public highway.

Cheers in Advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
They have no right whatsoever as far as I am aware. You're entirely within your rights to publish your own artwork as you wish whether it contains photos of other people / their property or not.

TP

gazthomas

Established Member
There's lots of good advice on the web, such as this taken from http://www.lfph.org/photographers-rights-in-the-uk

"There is NO law preventing you from taking photographs of whoever you want and whatever you want so long as you are standing on public land and not on private property. This includes photographing police officers. There are a few exceptions to this rule including sensitive government buildings such as the MI6 building and MoD properties."

james60059

james60059

Neither are legally valid reasons that are in any way enforecable.

The one in particular who said they didn't like their vehicles photo distributed actually have photo's of vehicles on their own website, made me chortle.

Apparently I am led to believe that they can request the images be removed but likewise I can refuse to do so.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
The one in particular who said they didn't like their vehicles photo distributed actually have photo's of vehicles on their own website, made me chortle.

Apparently I am led to believe that they can request the images be removed but likewise I can refuse to do so.

Out of interest and near pure curiosity, who are the hauliers? PM me if you wish to share it privately.

TP

anthony263

Established Member
Well It wont be eddie stobart or Owens road services since these two haulage firms seem to love trying to get their vehicles photographed.

Even Tesco and my own employers Iceland try and get some photos. In fact my boses may actually let me take one of the vehicles to the Swansea festival of Transport.

I have had a complaint before when I had my fotopic gallery where a certain bus operator wanted photos of his buses taken down. Mind you they were wrecks

Last edited:

james60059

Out of interest and near pure curiosity, who are the hauliers? PM me if you wish to share it privately.

TP

Hi mate,

It was Denann UK Ltd in Stockton and PRS Distribution in Colnbrook, although here is the funny thing, I had another e-mail from someone affiliated with PRS asking if they could have a copy :roll:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well It wont be eddie stobart or Owens road services since these two haulage firms seem to love trying to get their vehicles photographed.

Jack Richards of Fakenham and Turner's of Soham do as well it seems, as do quite a few Irish hauliers <D8-)

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I think the best advice would be to ignore all such requests and go about your life as you wish to! (Whilst complying with the law of course!)

TP

Established Member
Just A question. If For whatever reason A Police Officer stops you and asks for details What Details are you REQUIRED to give? Also If they ask to see photos Do you have the right to decline?

starrymarkb

Established Member
I believe you are not obliged to though personally if the policeman was polite and made a reasonable request I'd be OK with showing them. They can not request deletion without a court order.

Bevan Price

Established Member
My first reaction is "have they something to hide ? are they doing something unsafe or illegal ? " Maybe not, but drawing attention to themselves tends to arouse suspicions.

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member
My first reaction is "have they something to hide ? are they doing something unsafe or illegal ? " Maybe not, but drawing attention to themselves tends to arouse suspicions.

Who has something to hide? Are we talking about an innocent person taking a few photos of wagons, or someone being stopped and asked by a police officer in general?

causton

Established Member
Who has something to hide? Are we talking about an innocent person taking a few photos of wagons, or someone being stopped and asked by a police officer in general?

I think they meant the hauliers.

As in... why don't they want you taking photos of their trucks? Is there something wrong with them?

Very odd!

455driver

Veteran Member
I was at Plymouth taking some pictures of the sleeper train (which I had travelled down from London on) and a platform bloke asked what I was doing (well it was 5 oclock in the mornin) and could he look at the photos, so I let him have a quick look at them all (I remained calm and polite at all times ;)) and we then spent 15 minutes discussing the merits of Canon cameras verses Nikon cameras before we both decided my Canon was better than his Nikon. ;)

Okay I lied about the last bit, he didnt agree with me :lol:

But if you have nothing to hide why not let someone in authority have a quick look at the photos, it can lead to quite pleasant conversations at times but then its all about "rights" these days isnt it, what happened to being polite simply because its nice to be nice.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
But if you have nothing to hide why not let someone in authority have a quick look at the photos, it can lead to quite pleasant conversations at times but then its all about "rights" these days isnt it, what happened to being polite simply because its nice to be nice.

Quite right! You may have the "right" to refuse to allow someone to look at the photos you've taken, but what's the harm in allowing them a quick peek if they ask politely?

Tim R-T-C

Established Member

Legally you can request anything you want of anyone - whether they choose to comply is another matter entirely! ;)

How daft that firms would want pictures of their trucks removed - unless they are doing something illegal.

anthony263

Established Member
Legally you can request anything you want of anyone - whether they choose to comply is another matter entirely! ;)

How daft that firms would want pictures of their trucks removed - unless they are doing something illegal.

Well they had better hope nobody from VOSA or any of the traffic commisioners are reading this thread then :D

ReverendFozz

I have had similar problems with bus photography, I have been asked to remove photos from Facebook, not by the company, but an employee who was none too amused, I have also been collared in Sunderland by Nexus for snapping in Park Lane Interchange, but it was a case of me not knowing I am not supposedly allowed to take pics on the Interchange...

With me if someone asks me to remove a photo, I generally will do it, although I don't have to I will remove them as a gesture of good will and wanting to keep the peace...

455driver

Veteran Member
With me if someone asks me to remove a photo, I generally will do it, although I don't have to I will remove them as a gesture of good will and wanting to keep the peace...

Then when you get home run recuva* through the memory card and the pictures reappear as if by magic. :lol:

* other free downloads available.

Bevan Price

Established Member
I think they meant the hauliers.

As in... why don't they want you taking photos of their trucks? Is there something wrong with them?

Very odd!
Yes, that's what I meant. Could the truck be overloaded or unsafe ? Is driver or company ignoring driving hours regulations ? Is driver working at same time as claiming sickness or social security benefit, etc., etc.

ReverendFozz

Then when you get home run recuva* through the memory card and the pictures reappear as if by magic. :lol:

* other free downloads available.

Pictures I removed were already up on Facebook, someone tagged the picture of the bus driver in question and said driver promptly messaged me asking for it to be removed :)

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.