• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Photography at Doncaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys (and gals)
I'm thinking of having a morning or afternoon testing my new camera out at Doncaster Station. What do I need to do to get permission? Is there a charge or paperwork to fill in to do it?

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
None of that - although officially you have to tell station staff, Doncaster is so popular that no-one bothers (or at least I never have).

dave87016

Established Member
AFAIK there is no paper work and no need to sign in avoid "flash" photography though as rail staff dont take to kindly to it for obvious reasons but other than that you will be fine. south end of platform 4 is a popular place amongst spotters, however if you want a less crowded part then the north end of Platform 4 is your best bet

Established Member
East Coast-operated stations are normally OK with spotters, and indeed I've never had a problem or had to sign in at Newcastle, Durham, Darlington, York or Doncaster. Of course it is different at other stations run by different TOCs.

96tommy

I go to Doncaster all the time and have never hap a problem there. As said, there is no need to sign in and Tuesdays and Thursdays always seem the busiest days for the amount of freight what comes through if that is what your interested in.

I would say the best places for photos are the south ends of Platforms 3 & 4. Platform 4 is your best bet as their will always be somebody near by and if anything goes around the back, you will have enough time to get a photo.

Cheers, platforms 3 and 4 are close to the Lincoln platform aren't they? That's why I had the idea, having to transport yourself through the crowd of spotters and expensive camera equipment many times, either going into Donny itself or walking to the next platform for a connection!

Litfan

Ah, Doncaster. I had some good spotting days here. When the Deltics still ruled. In fact, I gave up railways, when the Deltics were withdrawn. Saw some photos of Doncaster plant. Very sad indeed. I have some pictures, of when I was on a visit. The class 50s were being refurbished.

Last edited by a moderator:

deltic1989

Established Member
I echo what has been said above. I have photted at Donny, Newark NG and York and never had to sign in or do any paperwork. I do always speak to a member of staff though out of manners, just to let them know im there and what im up to.
As above avoid using a flash, and avoid tripods as well if the platform is crowded as they can get in the way and cause injury.
NRE has published a set of guidelines for rail enthusiasts here that may help you.

Litfan

The railway`s, are like a foreign country to me these day`s. I know, i sound like an old record, but, while still in BR ownership, the railway`s were fun. No problems with photo taking, you could go, virtually, anywhere on a station.

Harbon 1

Peterborough, Grantham, Newark NG, Doncaster, York and Newcastle are all fine from what I've experienced :) for Donny, south of platform 3/2 is good, some great shots of trains from a distance through the centre roads and it is usually quite empty, although you will probably at some point get bowled by a stopping EC service :lol:

Last edited:

Litfan

Anyone here, remember the pinball machine, that used to be in the buffet? I mean, on doncaster station.

Status
Not open for further replies.