• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Photography at National Express stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK Tom

Established Member
I had a little run-in with a staff member at Milton Keynes Coachway on Thursday who said I couldn't photograph there, saying it was ''like an airport'' (I always take photos when I fly!) and that all the staff had been told it wasn't allowed. I wrote to NatEx about it, saying they should change their policy, and they've come back telling me they're fine with photography and will tell all their staff to allow it. So whilst I'm very impressed with that, I wanted to know if anyone else has had difficulty with NatEx staff whilst trying to take photos, and what people think the likelihood is of the message I've been told filtering all the way down to the front-line staff.

Also a clarification about airports would be appreciated; I'm currently putting this down to the lady's ignorance as I've never had any trouble from staff when photographing at airports.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anti-pacer

Established Member
I had a little run-in with a staff member at Milton Keynes Coachway on Thursday who said I couldn't photograph there, saying it was ''like an airport'' (I always take photos when I fly!) and that all the staff had been told it wasn't allowed. I wrote to NatEx about it, saying they should change their policy, and they've come back telling me they're fine with photography and will tell all their staff to allow it. So whilst I'm very impressed with that, I wanted to know if anyone else has had difficulty with NatEx staff whilst trying to take photos, and what people think the likelihood is of the message I've been told filtering all the way down to the front-line staff.

Also a clarification about airports would be appreciated; I'm currently putting this down to the lady's ignorance as I've never had any trouble from staff when photographing at airports.

I worked for National Express in 2006-7 and believe me you can photo coaches.

Tell the woman at MK Coachway to **** off!

fowler9

Established Member

Mate I've taken photos at bus stations in Bolivia and never had a problem despite some of the security presence there. These guys are just being a pain.

richw

Veteran Member
A search on Flickr and there is hundreds of thousands of results. I therefore suggest she is making the rule herself, which coincides with the response OP has received from NatEx

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor

I've also never had any problems taking photographs at airports in the UK - even when walking out over the tarmac to board an aircraft. I'm aware that certain places in the world are more jumpy about this sort of thing or even prohibit airport photography completely.

richw

Veteran Member
I've also never had any problems taking photographs at airports in the UK - even when walking out over the tarmac to board an aircraft. I'm aware that certain places in the world are more jumpy about this sort of thing or even prohibit airport photography completely.

I understand that only military airports it is an issue to take photographs. Before the RAF withdrew from Newquay there was signs up stating no photography, these were removed when the military moved out.

Newquay airport (civilian) airport shared a runway and taxiways with an RAF base.

Nippy

I'd be surprised at military airports these days in this country, most have spots where you can park and view, even the ones the yanks use.

richw

Veteran Member
I'd be surprised at military airports these days in this country, most have spots where you can park and view, even the ones the yanks use.

My above post is going back 10 years or so since I flew when I recall the no photography signs.
Cameras were perfectly acceptable to take to the air days etc this year that I have been to.

Nippy

Yeah fair enough, the military seem more relaxed about it than some civil airports!

455driver

Veteran Member
When somebody tells me I cant take photographs I ask them what legislation they are quoting!

Usually works, except once at Woking when he asked me to leave the station which I did without question and promptly rang the Train Crew Supervisor (on platform 1) and told them I wouldnt be at work that evening and why, he was soon put right on the rules! :lol:

christopher

Usually works, except once at Woking when he asked me to leave the station which I did without question and promptly rang the Train Crew Supervisor (on platform 1) and told them I wouldnt be at work that evening and why, he was soon put right on the rules! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Never want to annoy you! :p

(We so need a like button on here!)

fowler9

Established Member
They were a bit twitchy with me at the Garden Island naval base in Sydney but the fella with the big gun just told me not to worry and to take pictures away from the main gate. Got myself a big pie at Harrys Cafe De Wheels and wandered off with my camera. No one was bothered in New Zealand and in South America we just walked in to Bolivias naval base which wasn't exactly state of the art given that they have a few patrol boats on Lake Titicaca and that is it.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Well, first of all, you do get the old "barrack room" lawyers who quote what they think the law actually is. Usually get the "privacy" argument.

In short (and sounding like a barrack room lawyer), you're fine to take a photo in a public place as long as you're not obstructing the public highway, or doing something repeatedly as this can constitute harassment. However, at MK Coachway, this is private property and NX could (if they so wished) ban photographers.

I would always recommend a common sense approach. When a staff member comes across, be polite and explain that you're only interested in the bus/train/aardvark. If you're in a public place, say you understand but that you're not breaking any laws. If they continue, walk away.

Similarly, photographers must also use common sense. I'm sick of seeing people running across in front of traffic to get "that shot". Also, take your flash off! In some cases, you will encounter jobsworths or morons (as in any walk of life) but the reason why some drivers/staff get narky is because of the stupid, selfish and irresponsible behaviour of some photographers.

starrymarkb

Established Member

Some of the Florida airports have a total ban, they've been known to send security after spotters outside the airport perimeter. (I can't remember which airport it was now)

fowler9

Established Member
Some of the Florida airports have a total ban, they've been known to send security after spotters outside the airport perimeter. (I can't remember which airport it was now)

America doesn't count since they are so paranoid it makes North Korea look laid back. They are terrified that someone will sell the secrets of an outdated Boeing 737 or a locomotive without the corporations doing it first.

Last edited:

Nym

Established Member
In short (and sounding like a barrack room lawyer), you're fine to take a photo in a public place as long as you're not obstructing the public highway, or doing something repeatedly as this can constitute harassment. However, at MK Coachway, this is private property and NX could (if they so wished) ban photographers.

Harassment is defined to be actions against the groups as defined in the Equality Act, any true backroom lawer would know that ;)...

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

Nym

Established Member

Matt Taylor

Established Member
I've never had a problem with photography at any US airport, LAX even has the Imperial Hill spotters lookout! However, I have only photographed in California, Arizona and Nevada, east coast airports are far more twitchy.

I've had a few issues at Heathrow but nothing I wouldn't expect, despite having taken pictures of all forms of transport all over the world I have had more problems on the UK railway network (generally from people ignorant of both the law and the ATOC guidelines) than anywhere else.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Mate I've taken photos at bus stations in Bolivia and never had a problem despite some of the security presence there. These guys are just being a pain.

I took photos of soldiers in Beijing, so I always chuckle when someone decides to lay down the (non-existent) law to try and look powerful.

Who had the most power, the Chinese army or a bus station manager/supervisor? :D

fowler9

Established Member
I took photos of soldiers in Beijing, so I always chuckle when someone decides to lay down the (non-existent) law to try and look powerful.

Who had the most power, the Chinese army or a bus station manager/supervisor? :D

Ha ha. One of my favourite photos that I have taken was of a Bolivian lady soldier having her boots shined on the street in La Paz during the celebrations of the second anniversary of the new constitution. I never noticed when I took it but her and her mates were actually posing. Got another one of the top guys of their armed services in front of a tank with their sunglasses on. We just walked in to the Navy base at Copacabana on Lake Titicaca and took photos. The paintings on the wall were brilliant, graffiti of a sailor with the virgin Mary behind him and another one of a bloke looking like a Viking carrying an AK 47.

Status
Not open for further replies.