• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Photography in Paris Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexdodds

Whats the situation regarding photography in Paris stations including the metro these days. I was hoping to go this year as part of my 10th year of videos but im really not sure now after what happened last year.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Security levels are still very high; discretion would be the order of the day.

Legal lineside locations might be better at the moment?

D6700

I spent 24 hours in Paris on the 17th and 18th of January.

In the late afternoon/early evening of the Sunday, I spent a little time at Gare du Nord and had no bother. I then spent well over an hour at Paris Est, using the tripod at both the buffers and country ends of the station and wasn't hassled at all. That said, I was careful not to get in the way of anyone. I also saw a couple French lads taking pictures with a tripod.

On the Monday, I spent a little time at Gare de Lyon in the morning peak and had no bother - using my tripod for a shot at the country end of the station. Later, I spent a little time at Austerlitz and took a couple of photo's without any problems. At Montparnasse, I didn't bother taking any pictures, as the place is pretty rubbish in that regard. St Lazare was the same as Austerlitz and I had no bother at Gare du Nord (again). Likewise, I had no problems at any smaller stations outside the centre/city.

I didn't attempt any photography on the Metro, so can't help there.

I think it is worth being sensible and considering your surroundings, but the only hassle I got on this trip was at Kings Cross, where a self proclaimed jobsworth told me I couldn't use my little tripod, despite not being anywhere near other people! Welcome home, I thought...

87electric

I spent 24 hours in Paris on the 17th and 18th of January.

In the late afternoon/early evening of the Sunday, I spent a little time at Gare du Nord and had no bother. I then spent well over an hour at Paris Est, using the tripod at both the buffers and country ends of the station and wasn't hassled at all. That said, I was careful not to get in the way of anyone. I also saw a couple French lads taking pictures with a tripod.

On the Monday, I spent a little time at Gare de Lyon in the morning peak and had no bother - using my tripod for a shot at the country end of the station. Later, I spent a little time at Austerlitz and took a couple of photo's without any problems. At Montparnasse, I didn't bother taking any pictures, as the place is pretty rubbish in that regard. St Lazare was the same as Austerlitz and I had no bother at Gare du Nord (again). Likewise, I had no problems at any smaller stations outside the centre/city.

I didn't attempt any photography on the Metro, so can't help there.

I think it is worth being sensible and considering your surroundings, but the only hassle I got on this trip was at Kings Cross, where a self proclaimed jobsworth told me I couldn't use my little tripod, despite not being anywhere near other people! Welcome home, I thought...

Yeah, good old Kings Cross. One person will be hassled like this but get a platform full of railtour people or kettle fanatics nothing is said.
These employees with their job of walking up and down platforms must "enjoy" their moment of power to offset their boredom. What a life.

AlexNL

Established Member
Photography on RATP controlled terrain is forbidden, as far as I am aware. Not only does this include all metro stations, RER line A is included as well as this line is also operated by RATP. On the other RER lines and the Transilien network, the SNCF rules apply which are more liberal.

In any case, if you have any doubts just ask a member of staff. If you are denied permission or if you are asked to leave, all I can advise you is to smile, nod, and walk away. The French have been in a heightened state of alert for years and this has gotten only worse since the Paris attacks.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I was there for a couple of days over a weekend last month. Did a bit of photography and videoing with my camera phone on both RER Line A and Métro Line 14, always in a very 'visible' location. Got no hassle whatsoever, and I doubt many people even noticed me.

TRAX

Established Member
Being a Parisian, I would suggest that you just do your own thing, and if you do run into problems, it will usually be a little word from a member of staff, no big deal.

Shinkansenfan

Was in Paris recently for several days. Took many photographs from the metro and RER platforms (i.e. St Denis, Massy, CDG, etc) and also took photos from many of the tram platforms. No hassle by RATP or by police while in the station and standing very obviously in plain sight.

The one instance of annoyance was when I was standing on a city street sidewalk (pavement) photographing Tram T5 (Trans Lohr technology). An RATP "road operations" staff car with 4 people inside pulled up alongside me and asked why I was taking photos. They claimed it was prohibited to photograph the drivers of the Trans Lohr trams.

I explained that I was not photographing the drivers, that I was on a public area and that I was not doing anything illegal. The encounter was fairly cordial (I find it best to keep it that way) and they drove off. It also helps that I don't speak French and their English was limited--too much hassle to try and communicate further.

NY Yankee

I would assume that since a lot of tourists use the Paris Metro then they would be ok with people taking pictures. The Paris Metro also has performers in the station, as well as impressive tile work. I don't think that a casual tourist would have problems taking pictures.

Welly

Security levels are still very high; discretion would be the order of the day.

Legal lineside locations might be better at the moment?

I remember those security heavies in black bomber jackets (no fluorescent jackets then!) talking with us on a Metro station way back in 1994!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I remember those security heavies in black bomber jackets (no fluorescent jackets then!) talking with us on a Metro station way back in 1994!

Those were just ticket inspectors weren't they? As I recall one of them was quite understanding and readily provided the details of how to contact RATP's HQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.