• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Photography on Belgium Railways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon Poole

Just a quick question, unlike France which are strict on Photographing trains, are Belgium Railways okay with rail enthusiasts taking photos and video of the trains

I heard that you can walk onto the station and start taking photo and film, I'm thinking about going over to Belgium

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Yes it's generally no problem, much as France is. You might get the odd power-crazy security guard or other bod, but very much in the minority and few and far between.

What problems did you have in France?

Be sensible where you go, don't draw too much attention and you'll have no problem 99.9% of the time in Europe.

Selection of photos here, largely around the Brussels ned stations, can't recall anyone really batting an eyelid http://87015aewn.wordpress.com/category/euro-nedding/belgium/

Last edited:

ryan125hst

Established Member
I'm thinking about going over to Belgium

You're going to need to change the name of your show then Simon! Simon Poole's European Railway Journeys perhaps? :D

Going back on topic, where do members think railway enthusiasts/photographers are better tolerated, the UK or Europe? Or maybe elsewhere in the world? I've found that there seems to be more videos, photographs and information online about railways in the UK than anywhere else in the world.

ac6000cw

Established Member
Be sensible where you go, don't draw too much attention and you'll have no problem 99.9% of the time in Europe.

Very good advice, and my philosophy too. Basically be aware of your surroundings and feel the 'vibes' - if you don't feel comfortable then move on somewhere else.

One problem is that there is no general fencing of railways in many countries, so it's sometimes hard to work out if you are standing on the 'platform', trespassing on the railway or just standing on public property next to it.

...and if a staff member/official does wander over to you (it's happened to me a couple of times on passenger stations in the USA), a friendly smile and saying 'Hello/Hi/Bonjour' etc. helps to break the ice - 9 times out of 10 they just want to make sure you're not on the wrong platform, about to throw yourself under a train, or hopelessly drunk etc. As for the other 10%, you might find they actually want to chat about trains or practise their English on you :)

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

As a complete aside, I sincerely hope no-one on this forum is ever as unaware and/or stupid as the idiot in the black jacket (with the hood up) in this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwO-IWorGv4 - even after being bodily moved out of the way of the train at the last second, they carry on filming like nothing had happened !! unbelievable !!

(and that whole crowd is almost certainly trespassing on the railway - it's Union Pacific railroad property in Cheyenne, Wyoming, and that's a 5000+ ton double-stack freight bearing down on them....)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.