• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Photography on the Tyne & Wear metro

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexdodds

I have decided to restart this topic again. but this time i will be a bit more careful about what i say ok.

Its strange how nexus doesnt allow it on the system without writing to them and worse you can even get prosocuted for taking a photo or video without asking them.

have a look at this.

http://www.nexus.org.uk/wps/wcm/connect/Nexus/Metro/Other+information/Photography

I am currently enquiring about this so i will keep you up to date and see what happerns.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Old Timer

Established Member
Alex, "filming" is intended to apply to professional film companies.

These companies need to use lots of equipment, lighting sound systems etc, that are generally complex and bulky and have an awful lot of trailing wires. They also need to set up small tracks along which the film cameras run.

The wording is there to ensure that these people do not just turn up and start, as they can elsewhere.

Again it would be VERY unusual for TWM to go down the prosecution route, but this is there for legal purposes, in order that there is no defence of didn't know, type thing.

I would be very surprised if TWM applied such stringent conditions to a normal enthusiast taking a video.

If you speak with TWM I am certain they will clarify this.

alexdodds

I sent an e-mail a few weeks ago and this was the reply i got.

Dear Mr Dodds,

Thanks for your correspondence regarding photography on the Tyne and Wear Metro system.

Metro is private property and our customers have a right to privacy and safe travel while using it. Our policy regarding filming and photography on Metro is necessary so that we know exactly who is taking photos and ensure they are safely managed while doing so, and is consistent with Metro Bye-laws

We are not seeking to discourage tourists or rail enthusiasts who want to take a larger number of pictures, often at several locations. All requests are assessed on their individual merits and the vast majority get approved. Neither should this policy be seen as a means to prevent someone taking a 'one off' family snap on the spur of the moment.

In the case of still photography if you were to ring us up this could normally be arranged well within the two weeks period of notice stipulated on the website. It would just be a case of assessing the request, filling in an indemnity form , giving you a safety briefing and informing the Metro Control Room.

Anyone taking photos on Metro property without prior permission may be challenged by our staff, who are trained to be vigilant when it comes to security.

andylloyd

I sent an e-mail a few weeks ago and this was the reply i got.

Dear Mr Dodds,

Thanks for your correspondence regarding photography on the Tyne and Wear Metro system.

Metro is private property and our customers have a right to privacy and safe travel while using it. Our policy regarding filming and photography on Metro is necessary so that we know exactly who is taking photos and ensure they are safely managed while doing so, and is consistent with Metro Bye-laws

We are not seeking to discourage tourists or rail enthusiasts who want to take a larger number of pictures, often at several locations. All requests are assessed on their individual merits and the vast majority get approved. Neither should this policy be seen as a means to prevent someone taking a 'one off' family snap on the spur of the moment.

In the case of still photography if you were to ring us up this could normally be arranged well within the two weeks period of notice stipulated on the website. It would just be a case of assessing the request, filling in an indemnity form , giving you a safety briefing and informing the Metro Control Room.

Anyone taking photos on Metro property without prior permission may be challenged by our staff, who are trained to be vigilant when it comes to security.
Hi Alex,
did you have any joy then with this?

alexdodds

I so far havent done any but i did find out that anyone that wants to take videos on metro stations or trains needs to be with a member of staff at all times and worse its £9 per hour for a staff member to be with you.

I also suggested a permit system like on the London Underground but free insted of £35 for 3 months they said it is something they would consider.

I told them to put on hold the film request i sent them till i save some money.

Wether is personal or not you still require permission from nexus.

alexdodds

I videoed on the metro on Friday and Saturday at Newcastle city centre stations also at ones in Gateshead and Sunderland and I had not a single problem even videoed on the metro train itself. I treat it like the London Underground take a video while passing through the station.

Although there are cctv cameras the chances of getting caught photographing/videoing on metro are quite slim because of the lack of staff also these cameras are linked to the control centre and they are not monitored all at once.

At stations which are staff there is usully just one staff member 2 at Monument well a customer advisor that stands in once place and has no radio walke talke. Some underground stations are unstaffed St James for example.

Only staff to look out for are the travel support officers but other than that you should have no problems.

So if you want to video/photo on Metro just do it insted of waiting one or 2 weeks for permission.:)

Now uploading my metro vids to youtube.

Established Member
I've never had a problem before, but stumbled on the wording on the website one day, so will probably write in next time just to be sure. Bit of a pain if it means you can't just go on the spur of the moment, plus staffing levels are poor, even if there were "tickies" on the system they can't be everywhere at the same time. Even the dedicated PCs from Northumbria will be hard to see as there are only a couple.

alexdodds

Did more videoing on the metro and once again i didnt get caught. I also did some on new years eve and didnt get caught.

I would advise anyone taking photos/videos to be extremely careful when there is people around. Most people in Tyne and Wear are not used to been filmed on metro stations and trains unlike London with the Tube.

If you get any strange looks especialy from teenagers then bail out and wait a bit.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I am there a week on Mon 08 FBY - 1st trip Sunderland to Newcaste Central Stn. with no proof of doing it!

Shame on Nexus.

:(

Last edited:

Established Member
I am there a week on Mon - 1st trip Sunderland to Newcaste Central Stn. with no proof of doing it!

Shame on Nexus.

What do you mean by this?

As for the Metro, it would be advisable to give them some notice if you do intent to film as it does say on the website that you have to have permission. Of course it is alright if you are on public property, so you shouldn't have a problem there.

As for security, some stations in the rougher areas you have to keep your guard up, and I wouldn't advise going anywhere at late evening/night unless you have someone with you.

alexdodds

What do you mean by this?

As for the Metro, it would be advisable to give them some notice if you do intent to film as it does say on the website that you have to have permission. Of course it is alright if you are on public property, so you shouldn't have a problem there.

As for security, some stations in the rougher areas you have to keep your guard up, and I wouldn't advise going anywhere at late evening/night unless you have someone with you.

Well i have done shots on metro trains and stations 3 times in the last few months in full view of the CCTV cameras and i havent getting any bother off anyone so why bother going through all the hassle of writting a letter afterall there are no signs on the stations and trains saying no photography. If you write to them saying you want to film you have to be with a staff member and it costs £9 per hour.

My tips are keep calm, dont let Nexus bite you and watch out for anyone in an orange hi viz jacket and the police.

I do agree never go alone at night on the Metro its not like the Tube where there is more security. Some areas of Tyne and Wear are rough i wont mention them here incase i get any stick off anyone. Also best to avoid weekends.

Established Member
Always better to be safe than sorry, although you're right - there aren't any notices so how are you supposed to know if you don't have a PC?

Stations I'd say to avoid at night include:

Manors - North Shields and everywhere in between

Pelaw - Brockley Whins

Most after Sunderland.

These seem to be the rouger areas, although depends on what you're used to. I have lived in Byker and live near Manors now so I wouldn't be afraid to go to those places at night but others might be.

stuartmoss

Filmed on the Metro last Wedensday, had no problems whatsoever, I have put the footage in the Photography Sites & Videos section of this website.

alexdodds

I did more on Friday in Gateshead and Newcastle and once again didnt get caught.

At Central Station Metro I saw a few people get bitten by the revenue protection lot because they didnt have the right ticket. There names and address will be on a named and shamed poster at that station soon.

Established Member
Was at Central at the back end of last year going up the escalator. Some eejit deicided to race up the wrong way, luckily no-one was coming down at the time. However he didn't realise that there were inspectors at the top. Not sure what happened to him as I was catching a train, but I hope he was dealt with accordingly. I also hope he didn't have a valid ticket either and got done for this as well.

Last edited:

Dolive22

Always better to be safe than sorry, although you're right - there aren't any notices so how are you supposed to know if you don't have a PC?

I wouldn't try that argument on the cops or security while holding a digital camera.

Established Member
Not going to go over old ground regarding whether or not it is legal to take pictures of trains. However I bet there are many people who do not access to the internet or PC, who wouldn't know about the "rules". I certainly would challenge anyone who told me it "was against the law" or something similar, and especially if they were in plain clothes.

Established Member
Going back to this thread, I've commented on a post on Question Time, a new service from Nexus which allows passengers to ask questions etc - just waiting for a response

alexdodds

you made a mistake mentioning merseyrail. Merseyrail is part of the national rail network and so uses the guidelines infact they regard us as friends of the railway. What you should of mentioned to Nexus is the photography rules on the tube

Established Member
I suppose I could have, but I wonder what the reply will be. I've never been stopped yet, so I'll wait until I am to see what they say the situation is. I might email them and see how long it takes to get a reply so I have permission, but if it takes ages then I'll not do it again.

alexdodds

The photography policy on the Metro is the most extreme and strict policy in the UK.

It is strange why Nexus does not operate the same photography policy as the tube and DLR which you would expect in the UK. I wonder if there is a policy on the Glasgow Subway.

Not been up for afew years, but the couple of times ive been riding the network, never had a problem. Took photos around the network, aswell as filmed from the front window. Drivers never said aword.

Established Member
Don't think the drivers will care, as long as you don't use flash or obstruct the door. The only people I can think of having a problem will be the ticket inspectors, who should be dealing with the anti-social behaviour at night instead of looking out for trainspotters.

Established Member
Still no word back from Huw Lewis, although he comments that people taking pictures will only be talked to (most likely to explain about safety etc), and no mention of being thrown off the system. Still I'll be on it all day on the 31st before they hand over to DB, so if I have any problems I'll let you know.

Established Member
Probably not, as Nexus will still own the stations and make the byelaws. I don't really see anything changing a great deal, unless DB manage to cock everything up.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Did once round the loop last night instead of changing at Monument. Noticed that there were about 4 groups of ticket inspectors going round, which is far more than I've ever seen at night. However when it terminated at Manors, no-one to be seen apart from some stupid arse asking people for cigarettes.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
No problems today taking photos, was at Haymarket for an hour taking pictures of the morning peak services that terminate at Regent Centre, South Gosforth, Monkseaton and Benton. Only saw one group of inspectors as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.