• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Photography/Videography at foot crossings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

james60059

Hi Folks,

Bit of a confusing subject for some people but what's the general stance against enthusiasts who like to video or photograph at foot crossing locations?. I'm assuming the enthusiast is sensible and stays a good distance away from the running lines and not someone who goes where it suits them.

Just to point out I go to a couple of foot crossings and normally stay right side of the fence (although one has a stile over the fence so I stand on that).

Reason I ask is there was a good debate on social media during the week on one of the photography groups.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hi Folks,

Bit of a confusing subject for some people but what's the general stance against enthusiasts who like to video or photograph at foot crossing locations?. I'm assuming the enthusiast is sensible and stays a good distance away from the running lines and not someone who goes where it suits them.

Just to point out I go to a couple of foot crossings and normally stay right side of the fence (although one has a stile over the fence so I stand on that).

Reason I ask is there was a good debate on social media during the week on one of the photography groups.

Foot crossings are for crossing only. You should never ever be stationary on one. Network Rail are slowly removing them all because they know how dangerous they are, even when used properly.

A foot crossing should not be used as an excuse to stand closer to the line when a train passes, even when it is on the opposite rail. If you're not crossing (and obviously only do this when there are no trains in sight either way), stay behind the fence always. Some people seem to think that a foot crossing is an invitation to stand on the line at their discretion when really a foot crossing is a grudging concession by Network Rail to let people cross the line in remote places.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.