• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Photopic Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill EWS

Hi everyone,
Nothing much to chat about at the moment but I have been sending more photos up to my Photopic pages. Good, bad and indifferent but you may find something of interest. Many were taken while I was on duty so reflect places and angles that are different from the general train picture view point.

http://billreid678.fotopic.net

Regards.

BillEWS.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
You have some great photos there. I particuarly like the Park Royal DMU at Minehead pre-WSR!

Bill EWS

Thanks, guys,
The accident at Nuneaton was quite a nasty one. Caused when a driver who was acting as pilotman to another driver forgot the 20 mph temporary check and hit it at 80 mph. Reflective warning boards and headlights on loco's came about because of that incident.

It should make BVE drivers more aware of what can happen when you also miss a speed check, but of course, in BVE nothing really happens, but in reality this is what can and does happen. Temporary speed checks aren't put on just to annoy train crew and passengers, but are seriously calculated according to the track work involved at the time.

Still, have fun.

Regards.

BillEWS.

P.S. Now, how did I manage to get this chat into the wrong section!!!!

The Snap

Established Member
Bill EWS said:
Thanks, guys,
The accident at Nuneaton was quite a nasty one. Caused when a driver who was acting as pilotman to another driver forgot the 20 mph temporary check and hit it at 80 mph. Reflective warning boards and headlights on loco's came about because of that incident.

It should make BVE drivers more aware of what can happen when you also miss a speed check, but of course, in BVE nothing really happens, but in reality this is what can and does happen. Temporary speed checks aren't put on just to annoy train crew and passengers, but are seriously calculated according to the track work involved at the time.

Still, have fun.

Regards.

BillEWS.

P.S. Now, how did I manage to get this chat into the wrong section!!!!

So the driver forgot about the temporary speed restrictions, and instead of going into the restriction at 20mph like he should have, he went through at 80mph??? Whooooooooooooo...:o :o :(

Bill EWS

Hi Rich,
It is a debateable point as to whether the driver actually forgot about the check or if the warning board lamp had failed. The fact is that, for whatever reason, he missed the check and that was the result. You would have to read the original report to go into it fully. But the fact remains that this is the likely result when you miss a low speed check. The higher the restriction speed above 25 mph more chance that you may 'just' get away with it, but disregard them at your peril. Remember too, that a train driver never deliberately make these sort of errors, it is usually a build up of other related issues that lead up to it.

Regards.

BillEWS.

Tom B

Established Member
Did they ever establish whether the lamp on the speed restriction was lit? IIRC the gas bottle was found to be empty when inspected later and previous drivers had reported missing the lamp.

However, nice shots Bill :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.