• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Photos by ScottMathew (including Class 91, 91114 at York)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottMathew

Photos were taken by me :D
Please say what you think (and be honest).

P.S. Class 91 is my favourite BR Class after the Class 43s !

Attachments

• YORKY.jpg
    YORKY.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 55
  • YORKY2.jpg
    YORKY2.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 46
  • YORKY3.jpg
    YORKY3.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 43
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ash39

Established Member
Honestly, all three have parts chopped off and the second two aren't straight (unless this was artistically intentional!)

If you're after a decent quality 3/4 shot - it pays to spend a couple of seconds thinking about the shot and making sure you've got everything in, no awkward reflections or bright light (your first photo is also looks to have blown highlights because the light is coming in through the roof). Also pay attention to keeping it straight as a slightly crooked photo doesn't look quite right.

Here's one I took at York at (I think) the same platform

91105 York by Flash_3939, on Flickr

Keep shooting and post them up here - the best way to improve is to get critique and constructive criticism.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Or if you cant keep it straight ( like me!) down load a decent image manipulation software system and cheat! - try GIMP as a starter as it is simple to use

ash39

Established Member
Oh yeah definitely - whilst it's good if you can get it right in camera I often have to straighten mine in post production. It's easy if you're photographing a seascape and have a horizon but with trains you don't always have a reference point so some will be out. I try and use OLE masts when photographing in places that have wires up - they're always vertical so you know if that's straight you'll be alright.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Actually the above photo isn't a great example as there's some distortion which makes the roof support lean out slightly.

If you look at this HST shot, which was taken with a telephoto lens at around 200mm, I used the mast nearest the camera as a reference. The mast nearest the bridge is also straight and the bridge is horizontal which tells me it's correct.

43239 & 43257 by Flash_3939, on Flickr

The confusing thing can be when shooting on curves (and even at some stations), the track can be slightly canted so the train won't look straight even when the horizon is!

Last edited:

ScottMathew

ash39 criticism accepted and taken on-board, I agree with the points you raised about lighting and chopping parts off; know where to improve :)

And thanks guys for advice on straightness. Will try better at this, but keeping camera straight in the cold can be difficult, hopefully as the weather is improving I don't have this problem.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And that HST shot is amazing !

ScottMathew

Perhaps the same points or different ones could be raised in these HST ones I took? (on the same day, also at York)

Attachments

• ECHSTYORK.jpg
    ECHSTYORK.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 21
  • ECPOWERCAR.jpg
    ECPOWERCAR.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 21
  • POWERCARYORK.jpg
    POWERCARYORK.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 24
  • HSTATYORK1.jpg
    HSTATYORK1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 23
  • HSTWITHSMOKEYORK.jpg
    HSTWITHSMOKEYORK.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 22
  • GRANDCENTRALPOWERCAR.jpg
    GRANDCENTRALPOWERCAR.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 19
  • GRANDCENT.jpg
    GRANDCENT.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 19
  • GRANDCENT2.jpg
    GRANDCENT2.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 19
  • POWERCAR.jpg
    POWERCAR.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 23

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Perhaps the same points or different ones could be raised in these HST ones I took? (on the same day, also at York)
Some of them suffer from poor lighting, and some are blurred, but they can be (mostly) fixed with a better camera. The biggest issue is the composition, and that will take time and experience to get right, but you will improve.

Station shots can be really boring... unless some thought goes into them. It's better to take a smaller number of considered photos, than to just take loads of photos randomly.

I am not a photographer (I've not taken any photos for years), but I have taken a few, as you can see from my album, I don't generally take station photos.

Consider the lighting, for example this photo benefited from the low glow from the sun (btw, I have no idea who the enthusiast at the other window is).

For station shots, consider night photos, perhaps a low down angle might work? (example) Keep the camera still to avoid blur.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
They are a bit out of place and the quality lacks a bit. (like mine). For example the GC powercar photo is too close and you have chopped off part of the buffers, although only minor, it still makes a huge difference. If you want a picture of a HST, something taken in the position as this would be better. (I'm no expert tbh and I'm still learning)

34fjma9.jpg

Try and take time to position the shot and make sure everything is in place and the whole object is in the shot but not too far out, then proceed to take it. You will get there and you could compose some real nice shots.

Temple Meads

Established Member
It could be argued that a three quarter view from a overbridge with full sun is boring as such shots are de rigueur with railway photographers, personally I think that as long as you are happy with the pictures you're taking then it doesn't matter.

With platform shots you can use passengers and (if it's "proper" station) the station architecture to add interest to the shot, as I believe I have with these:

8444579537_d30bd833c3_z.jpg
[/url] 150239 at Exeter St Davids by Transport Tim, on Flickr[/IMG]

8535576436_bd8f24fb4f_z.jpg
[/url] 43149 "University of Plymouth" at Exeter St Davids by Transport Tim, on Flickr[/IMG]

Established Member
The confusing thing can be when shooting on curves (and even at some stations), the track can be slightly canted so the train won't look straight even when the horizon is!

Exactly.
On this pic of 43059 approaching Market Harborough, the train is on the curve but the fence to the far left is straight, so you can use straight objects to assist with getting the camera (and thence the image) straight.

8626638181_591d88751c_c.jpg

On this image, I have used the catenary masts to serve the purpose of ensuring the pic is straight whilst the Pendolino is tilting:

8699992576_b86bdfe352_c.jpg

Condor7

Station shots can be really boring... unless some thought goes into them. It's better to take a smaller number of considered photos, than to just take loads of photos randomly.

I don't generally take station photos.

Consider the lighting, for example this photo benefited from the low glow from the sun (btw, I have no idea who the enthusiast at the other window is).

For station shots, consider night photos, perhaps a low down angle might work? (example) Keep the camera still to avoid blur.

I am not a photographer either, but from an enthusiasts point of view, I could not disagree more. I realise it is all personal preference, but station shots are my favourite. I love to see the trains in station settings, especially if they are in ones I have never visited.

ScottMathew

I am not a photographer either, but from an enthusiasts point of view, I could not disagree more. I realise it is all personal preference, but station shots are my favourite. I love to see the trains in station settings, especially if they are in ones I have never visited.

Agreed. Don't see how anyone who really, really loves trains could say that any shot of one is "boring" !!
Station shots, I think, are brilliant. So are videos of station arrivals/departures. As are passing shots and passing videos. So long as it's a train and the photo is good quality, then it's all good from an enthusiasts point of view, I'd have thought.

I've got some much better ones in the other Photography forum here, of HSTs at Nottingham. And I will be adding some of The Highland Chieftain at Inverness in a couple days time when I have the time to sit down and do it, as well as some of HSTs and 91s at King's Cross. :)

Oh, and 43074, the HST pic on the bend there is superb. The power car is beautiful, I love the EMT livery you know but if I'm honest much preferred the Midland Mainline livery (dark green and grey, as well as the earlier MML livery which was light green and orange with a jumping deer).

Status
Not open for further replies.