• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Photos of BR era train interiors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
These are extremely hard to find and nonexistent for some units. Does anyone have any to share?
Depends what you are looking for, the
Railcar website has interior shots for 1st gen DMU classes and there are plenty on Flickr of a variety of classes if you know where to look.

Trainfan2019

I was after photos last year of the original pacer interior and some sprinter class interiors. I just kept searching and searching online. Eventually, I think I found the ones I needed.

As hexagon789 suggests, I also recommend Flickr for the photos. I also recommend YouTube as although it's video and not pictures, there's a lot of interiors captured on film. This is how I saw the early sprinter interiors.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Yes, as the OP says this is a difficult thing to find - esp from periods like 60s/70s/80s and no doubt before - even those pics, for example, are from late (or maybe even) post NSE - with the strip lights and the compartments taken out for example - so late in the units life.
edit: I see 2 pics dated are as 2002/2004 so indeed late on. Still useful of course.

py_megapixel

Established Member
There's a reuploaded South Western Trains staff training video on YouTube which demonstrate how various faults on the 455s are diagnosed and resolved - because some of them require checking circuit breakers in the coaches, there are plenty of shots of the BR-era interiors. This isn't quite authentic as there's some SWT signage up, but it's enough to get the gist:
Shots of the passenger saloon are at 5:10, 6:30, 7:05, 7:10, 20:55, 24:35, 24:50, 25:15, 25:30, 25:35, 25:50, 27:35, 27:50, 28:25, 28:50,

Similarly, there's this video about diagnosing door faults on a class 155. Shots of the passenger saloon at 1:40, 4:40, 7:55:

Finally, there's this one about the deep cleaning of the old slam-door stock that used to work services out of Marylebone. Shots of passengers saloons start at 2:35 and are pretty much the entire video from then on up until about 8:30:

and the second part of this video, which focusses on the turn-around cleans in stations instead. Basically the entire video here is the passenger saloons:

WAO

The images show the blue NSE moquette seat covering. To get a feel of the original, you would need to see the carriage in Bournemouth Blue (green/blue check). The much lamented 4-CIG's with their comfortable 4 a side seating looked very good in this.
WAO

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The images show the blue NSE moquette seat covering. To get a feel of the original, you would need to see the carriage in Bournemouth Blue (green/blue check). The much lamented 4-CIG's with their comfortable 4 a side seating looked very good in this.
WAO

Although the most comfortable phase 1 (Brighton line replacement) CIG's had trojan. They also looked splendid in this.

WAO

True. We had phase 2's on the Windsor lines.

Trojan could look a bit dull and grey - but now fashionable!

WAO

yorksrob

Veteran Member
True. We had phase 2's on the Windsor lines.

Trojan could look a bit dull and grey - but now fashionable!

WAO

Admittedly when it was a bit worn !

I love Bournemouth Blue as well. We had that on our VEP's.

Richard5608

Im after a interior picture of the the mark 2 buffet open firsts which were converted around 1988.89 i think. For cross country

And a picture of the lounge cars when introduced on the sleeper routes before privatisation

And for qood measure the scotrail first class on the 158s when brand new not the 1994 red seats which looked nice thereafter

Bringback309s

The one I'd love to see is the 151 - any pics that anyone knows of?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.