• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Piccadilly line control room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Barry

I have been told that the new control room now controls from Cockfosters to Chiswick Park with the rest of the line being done later this year. Can someone tell me does the new control room also control the District line at Hammersmith as well or is it shared with Earls Court.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dstock7080

Established Member
The desk for Hammersmith and Turnham Green are now in the new Piccadilly control room at South Kensington, so the signalling from Barons Court-Chiswick Park is controlled from there.
The Acton Town desk, incorporating signalling from Chiswick Park-South Ealing/North Ealing/Ealing Broadway is due to transfer from Earl’s Court to South Kensington 23/24 February. District Line Controllers remain at Hammersmith.

Once CBTC is commissioned in these areas control of the District Line will pass to Hammersmith and Piccadilly trains will be unable to use the local tracks.

Last edited:

Jack Barry

The desk for Hammersmith and Turnham Green are now in the new Piccadilly control room at South Kensington, so the signalling from Barons Court-Chiswick Park is controlled from there.
The Acton Town desk, incorporating signalling from Chiswick Park-South Ealing/North Ealing/Ealing Broadway is due to transfer from Earl’s Court to South Kensington 23/24 February. District Line Controllers remain at Hammersmith.

Once CBTC is commissioned in these areas control of the District Line will pass to Hammersmith and Piccadilly trains will be unable to use the local tracks.
Thanks for that but that is strange that Turnham Green is controlled by South Kensington as there is no connection with the Picc there. I suppose the remains of the desk which controlled those sites is still doing the Wimbledon branch. Do you have the dates when it came in and when it took control of the sections?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks again but what happened to Cockfosters-Barons Court?
This has been controlled by the Picu system for a while now, initially temporarily in a separate room at Earls Court.

londonboi198o5

On Moderation
Thanks for that but that is strange that Turnham Green is controlled by South Kensington as there is no connection with the Picc there. I suppose the remains of the desk which controlled those sites is still doing the Wimbledon branch. Do you have the dates when it came in and when it took control of the sections?

The picc does run along turnham green it runs alongside the district. Also picc line trains can run down the "local" and do so when there is distruption or special workings.
LUL do not control the whole of the wimbledon branch. LUL control it as far as Putney Bridge and just beyond the actual bridge itself going West/Down line it switches over to NR control.

Jack Barry

This has been controlled by the Picu system for a while now, initially temporarily in a separate room at Earls Court.
Thanks I had a feeling it was still in the old room at Earls Court, any idea when it moved to the temporary room?

Jack Barry

The picc does run along turnham green it runs alongside the district. Also picc line trains can run down the "local" and do so when there is distruption or special workings.
LUL do not control the whole of the wimbledon branch. LUL control it as far as Putney Bridge and just beyond the actual bridge itself going West/Down line it switches over to NR control.
I know the Picc can run down the local lines but Turnham Green I thought was a District controlled site but as someone has said it is a temporay arrangement until the new SSR signalling comes in and then the Picc won't be able to run down the local lines unless someone does something about it.

I thought LU controlled the Wimbledon branch until almost reaching Wimbledon although I suspect that the equipment remains with NR, did they not pay a £1 or something in the 1990's.

londonboi198o5

On Moderation
No idea on payments etc however the district only control it as far as Pitney bridge. Once the train has gone past the signal just after the bridge it is under NR control

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I thought LU controlled the Wimbledon branch until almost reaching Wimbledon although I suspect that the equipment remains with NR, did they not pay a £1 or something in the 1990's.
LU owns the branch up until Wimbledon platforms however signaling and power control is controlled by Network Rail between Wimbledon and locations to the west of Putney Bridge station. Consequently trains on the line are operated under Network Rail’s rules and procedures.

Jack Barry

LU owns the branch up until Wimbledon platforms however signaling and power control is controlled by Network Rail between Wimbledon and locations to the west of Putney Bridge station. Consequently trains on the line are operated under Network Rail’s rules and procedures.
My mistake I should have said own the branch not control as they paid £1 in 1994. The signalling is I know NR's being controlled from Wimbledon box. I was some years ago that District line track staff cover down to approx Wimbledon Park as the track in the Wimbledon area and the connections to the main line, the track in the other platform areas at East Putney also come under LU as far as I understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.