• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Piccadilly to Warrington

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Snap

Established Member
Hi guys,
Does anyone know the exact stations that the 10.03am (Class 57) Arriva Trains Wales Manchester Piccadilly to Holyhead service stops at?

I'm a bit confussled about it's route...:???:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Snap

Established Member
Cheers for that matt!

timetable1cx.png

Do you think that number in the red circle is the Platform number...?

I hope it is, to be honest, as if it goes from Platform 14 at Piccadilly, I will be a little disappointed...:(

David

Established Member
No. that's the amount of time your suggested to leave if you are changing trains. In this case, the timetable recommends you leave 10 minutes.

The Snap

Established Member
60006 Scunthorpe Ironmaster said:
No. that's the amount of time your suggested to leave if you are changing trains. In this case, the timetable recommends you leave 10 minutes.

I see, so, would that suggest anything about the train arrival time, and therefore which platform. For example, if you are advised to leave then minutes, then that may be because the train is a through train (not a terminating train), so in Piccadilly's case, Platform 14, rather than platforms 1-12.

Do you understand what I'm getting at?

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well the 1003 starts at Man Picc but would go from one of the through platforms at Man Picc

The Snap

Established Member
matt said:
Well the 1003 starts at Man Picc but would go from one of the through platforms at Man Picc

Ah bugger, that means some difficult photo taking! :( But, never the less, if it starts at Piccadilly, it must come direct from Longsight sidings...?

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I presume so. It must go somewhere for the 57 to run round the coaches.

The Snap

Established Member
matt said:
I presume so. It must go somewhere for the 57 to run round the coaches.
Most probably Longsight sidings, as they are nearest, and also biggest. They used to house the old Virgin coaches, HST sets and 87s/86s etc. Don't see them anymore though, and Pendolinos and Voyagers are not there much either.

Guinness

Established Member
It waits outside Longsight on the through bi-directional line North of Longsight until a path into Picc becomes available then uses the Through line.

TicketMan

Rich said:
I see, so, would that suggest anything about the train arrival time, and therefore which platform. For example, if you are advised to leave then minutes, then that may be because the train is a through train (not a terminating train), so in Piccadilly's case, Platform 14, rather than platforms 1-12.

Nothing to do with platform numbers. Most large stations have a minimum connection time, which is built into journey planners etc. New st is 12 mins, Picadilly 10 mins, and time allowed to cross London is 60 mins (even if only going from St Pancras to Kings Cross for example)

All other stations without a specified time i think is either 2 or 5 minutes.

The Snap

Established Member
AlexS said:
1D64 is indeed booked off platform 14 and into platform 3 at Holyhead.

I see, OK. Chaz and I will be on it, no doubt with our heads out of the windows all the way! :p

devon_metro

Established Member
Rich said:
I see, OK. Chaz and I will be on it, no doubt with our heads out of the windows all the way! :p

Ah i did that from Plymouth to Exeter, I was frozen at the end!!

Table 52

Rich said:

As TicketMan explained, the those times apply to stations, hence, whatever trains you're changing to/from, it'll always recommend 10 minutes. at Manchester Piccadilly.
There are some minor exceptions to this rule such as extra time is recommended if the train is a eurostar etc.
I think the recommended time is 5 minutes where no time is shown. In some cases where a quick change is possible, the number shown may actually be less than 5 minutes. Not sure quite how but I think London bridge is 3 minutes!

It's nothing to do with whether trains are through or not, more with things like are there steps between platforms, can the station get busy with lots of people etc. I have a feeling some of the times are designed with 80 year olds in mind though as they tend to be rather generous.

As a final note, always obey the times when planning a journey. Because if your train runs say 5 minutes late and you miss a key connection, you probably won't have a leg to stand on when it comes to compensation if you didn't allow the recommended time.

Status
Not open for further replies.