• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Picture New Janpanese Bullet Train E5 Design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
looks ok bit outlandish but ok i supose it dont apeal to me as im a UK only railfan

bluemeansgo

Not a fan of the colors they chose and I prefer the Shark-nosed one... which looked like a figher plane cockpit... but I like it.

Does look like a Dolphin. I wanna see one in real life.

If it's an improvement over existing Shinkansen services, I can't wait... they're already super quiet, comfortable and fast.

You can guarantee that their attention to detail for this train will be second to none.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I reckon no-one here would mind something with those looks running in the UK, if we had the lines to go with it... at the end of the day, on the railways, function should ALWAYS overule form, though if form can be good too, all the better.

FusionRail

I reckon no-one here would mind something with those looks running in the UK, if we had the lines to go with it... at the end of the day, on the railways, function should ALWAYS overule form, though if form can be good too, all the better.

Your wrong there on both points.

It think most people would complain if we had something as stupid as that running around the UK. Keep it off our tracks, it should be sensible looking UK built/designed trains running on our track.

Established Member

It think most people would complain if we had something as stupid as that running around the UK. Keep it off our tracks, it should be sensible looking UK built/designed trains running on our track.

So, you're saying british people would be happier with a slower service because it looks better?
To be honest, I somewhat doubt that.

And if british people want UK built trains, why do we have the 185, 350, 360, 444, 450 (and soon the 380) as such common sights on the railways? Last time I checked people didn't dislike them becuse they're not built in the UK.

FusionRail

Oh shut up you didnt get my point.

I didnt say a nice looking train had to be slower? Obviously your putting words into my mouth.

UK built trains are better for this country and its economy, we need to be able to look after ourselves.

I pointed out it should be sensible looking UK built trains: this does not say people would only want that, nor does it say it will be a slow train.

jopsuk

Veteran Member

So... if a UK designer had come up with this for a UK desgined and built High Speed line, what would your opinion be? Is it only ugly because it's forign? People might comment at first if we had something like that, but I reckon they stop soon enough if Brum-London was around 45 minutes...

The main reason for the looks of that train is for aerodynamic effieciancy, the result of computer design and real life testing.

Established Member
Oh shut up you didnt get my point.

I didnt say a nice looking train had to be slower? Obviously your putting words into my mouth.

The bullet trains are designed for speed and aerodynamics, not looks, which is why they look so odd.

It's simple physics, you make it less aerodynamic, it's maximum velocity is reduced.

Pumbaa

Established Member
How ugly is that!!! Every type of UK train looks better.
Suppose looks arn't everything though. :lol:

I'll discount the 14x thanks - they look like buses, and therefore not better!

Daimler

Established Member
I've got to admit it looks disgusting. I'd take a TGV over it anyday - which looks many times better and is just as fast (faster, in fact, in high-speed tests). I love the bar car in the double deck TGVs - it has a speedometer over the bar counter - went up to 330km/h when I was on it between Lyon & Marseille!

Daimler

Established Member
That was done with a modified TGV though, with larger wheels and a much shortened rake of only 3 coaches, so i wouldn't really count it, tbh.

Well, no, I'm not doing - but in normal service, it still equals the speed of this new Japanese train - faster, if their bar-car-speedo-thingy is to be believed!

But an unmodified TGV did do 380km/h back in 1981 :D.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
That was done with a modified TGV though, with larger wheels and a much shortened rake of only 3 coaches, so i wouldn't really count it, tbh.

I don't think they fitted larger wheels on the last record run, though they had fitted one coach with an AGV power bogie IIRC. The larger wheels/spoilers etc were when they were setting records on the Atlantique line.

Regardless, the Duplexs DO run at 330km/h, whilst that thing (which, as I think may be clear, I rather like the design of) is intended for 310km/h running. They'll be interested in the Aerodynmaics more for the efficiancy at that speed and for accleration. For all the development with the TGV, the power cars used on the Duplex sets are, in shape, really an evolution of the original TGV001 shape, and are in design constrained by the need to run along "Classic" lines as well as the LGVs. I bet there are French designers looking in envy at that nose design, wondering what they'd be able to do with a fully segregated high-speed network.

Established Member
Well, no, I'm not doing - but in normal service, it still equals the speed of this new Japanese train - faster, if their bar-car-speedo-thingy is to be believed!

I don't believe in France (it's just a myth made up to scare children) so no, I don't think the speedo is to be believed, because it doesn't actually exist. :p

Daimler

Established Member
I don't think they fitted larger wheels on the last record run, though they had fitted one coach with an AGV power bogie IIRC. The larger wheels/spoilers etc were when they were setting records on the Atlantique line.

Regardless, the Duplexs DO run at 330km/h, whilst that thing (which, as I think may be clear, I rather like the design of) is intended for 310km/h running. They'll be interested in the Aerodynmaics more for the efficiancy at that speed and for accleration. For all the development with the TGV, the power cars used on the Duplex sets are, in shape, really an evolution of the original TGV001 shape, and are in design constrained by the need to run along "Classic" lines as well as the LGVs. I bet there are French designers looking in envy at that nose design, wondering what they'd be able to do with a fully segregated high-speed network.

A classic design!

Do TGV duplex-es not have powered bogies on the bar car then?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I wasn't saying there was anything wrong looks-wise with the TGV001! I think you'd agree that Series 0 Bullet Train is a classic, even iconic design too.

I'm not saying the E5 is the best looking Sinkansen either (i'd go with the 500 series for that) but it's nowhere near as ugly as the various duckbilled models (especially the E4).

Also, no, the standard Duplex carriage rakes are unpowered- however, I have seen reference to a plan to replace the bogie at one end of the rake with an AGV bogie, remove the power car from that end and run semi-permanent double formations.

Daimler

Established Member
I wasn't saying there was anything wrong looks-wise with the TGV001! I think you'd agree that Series 0 Bullet Train is a classic, even iconic design too.

I'm not saying the E5 is the best looking Sinkansen either (i'd go with the 500 series for that) but it's nowhere near as ugly as the various duckbilled models (especially the E4).

Also, no, the standard Duplex carriage rakes are unpowered- however, I have seen reference to a plan to replace the bogie at one end of the rake with an AGV bogie, remove the power car from that end and run semi-permanent double formations.

Yes, I seem to remember seeing that as well. Am I right in thinking that on standard TGV rakes the first bogie in each end carriage is also powered?

Established Member
Yes, I seem to remember seeing that as well. Am I right in thinking that on standard TGV rakes the first bogie in each end carriage is also powered?

I'm not too sure about the TGV, but that's the case on the Eurostar.

Also, I always think that TGV 001 looks like a big Renault :lol:

bluemeansgo

"Ugly" is subjective.

Some who hated this car ended up liking it:
40-fiat-multipla.jpg

Here's the basic model:
fastech360-5.jpg

The long nose is primarily because of extensive tunnels, to reduce noise.

It's not just about speed, Japan has some of the strictest noise pollution rules in the world.

They also tend to have a 25% margin in operational speed, so they can be guaranteed to always run on time.

Japanese are also more open to new things and change.

It's kind of interesting that some of the newer TGV models look similar to some of the older Shinkansen ones.

TGV
MEHA03939_Tgv_Duplex_Modeliste_Dc_T688.jpg

Newest AGV
xinsrc_e45238e6732f412fafd023c79e330fae_New-AGV-high-speed-cars-dev.jpg

And Japan's Tsubame:
Tsubame%20exterior.jpg

TGV Old and New (new one's more "Japanized" and curvy)
TGV_S103_512.jpg

Interestingly, I've never heard a dolphin called ugly.
dolphin-photos_4786.jpg

Some may prefer this, though... as it looks more "powerful"
P5070207_a.jpg

28419185.fish014lo.jpg

If you see these trains in real life, you likely won't have the same opinion.

Teaboy1

Its a technological statement of intent by a very successful and progressive country! We were once like that....80 years ago....but we appear to have fallen slightly behind.
Yes the green thing does look odd but it probably wont get off the drawing board looking like that. This is the way forwards for the wealthy countries, we shall slowly pass from the home produced stuff from Derby, Doncaster? and Birmingham and eventually buy Hitachi or MHI.
Personally this is what I consider a proper train to look like.

Attachments

• 500.shinkansen.jpg
    500.shinkansen.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 13
Status
Not open for further replies.