• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Picture New Janpanese Bullet Train E5 Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teaboy1

A few more facts I have trawled up....

In service 1997 - Present
Manufacturer Hitachi, Kawasaki HI
Refurbishment 2008
Number built 144 (9 sets)
Formation 8/16 cars per trainset
Operator JR West
Depots Hakata
Lines served Tokaido Shinkansen, Sanyo Shinkansen
Specifications
Car length 25,000 mm (intermediate cars), 27,000 mm (end cars)
Width 3,380 mm
Height 3,690 mm
Maximum speed 270 km/h (Tokaido), 300 km/h (Sanyo)
Acceleration 1.6 km/h/s (Tokaido), 2.0 km/h/s (Sanyo)
Deceleration 2.7 km/h/s
Traction system (AC) WMT204 64 x 285 kW
Power output 18.24 MW(W1 set), 17.60 MW(from W2 set)
Gauge 1,435 mm
Voltage 25 kV AC, 60 Hz overhead

500 series standard-class interior, August 2005The 500 Series Shinkansen are the fastest, most powerful and most expensive trainsets yet to run on Japan's Shinkansen high-speed rail network. They are designed to be capable of 320 km/h (200 mph) although they operate at a maximum of 300 km/h (186 mph) in service. The running gear utilises computer-controlled active suspension for a smoother, safer ride. All sixteen cars in each train are powered, giving a maximum of 18.24 MW of power (25,000 hp). Each train costs an estimated ¥5 billion. Because of that pricetag, only nine were built.

Visually they are quite striking, with a long, pointed nose more like that of a supersonic plane than a conventional high speed train. In 1990, Hitachi commissioned Neumeister Design of Germany to create an exterior and interior design for a new Shinkansen. It became the basis for the development of the 500 Series.

The first set was delivered for testing in 1995, entering passenger service in March 1997. The entire fleet of nine sets was delivered by 1998. They are normally used only on the premium Nozomi services, but are also used on Hikari Rail Star services during the busy holiday periods.

Just to point out the main fact..........18.25 MW total power, now if you are an electrical engineer or work with gas turbines, then you will understand just how much power that is. Oh and the price tag....JY5b each !!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shinkansen09

Firstly, Fusionrail....to be honest I can`t see you have anything to say on this subject when you have an avatar of that AWFUL!!! class 37 which are noisy, dirty, cold and gutless...not to mention ugly.<D
Blue......A very objective view....beauty being in the eye of the beholder....
Japanese Dolphin?:lol:
English Conga eel?:roll:
Teaboy.....over the past 80 years we have fallen "slighly" behind is an UNDERSTATEMENT I think, but I agree with the sentiment.:|
In general....The nose design of bullet trains are for energy efficiency and noise as stated in another post. The 700T Shinkansen in Taiwan is the same basic design as the one found in Japan, but without the duckbil nose....it is said someone in Taiwan High Speed Rail Corp thought the train would look better without it!!!! this unfortunately does cause the driving cab to have more wind noise than it`s Japanese counterpart :cry:

Teaboy1

The reason why we have fallen behind '' a bit'' I put down to UK companies being bought out by bigger foreign companies, they are then closing us down after a few years and hay-presto.....the UK competition has gone!! So the bigger companies get bigger at our expense.
Just wish we had some really financially strong robust home companies like.............RBS...........LandRover.........Parsons...........GEC-Alstom..........no they were all swallowed by foreigners!!
:(

shinkansen09

The reason why we have fallen behind '' a bit'' I put down to UK companies being bought out by bigger foreign companies, they are then closing us down after a few years and hay-presto.....the UK competition has gone!! So the bigger companies get bigger at our expense.
Just wish we had some really financially strong robust home companies like.............RBS...........LandRover.........Parsons...........GEC-Alstom..........no they were all swallowed by foreigners!!
:(

Maybe Teaboy, if the british train building industry had not been put in decline in the eighties along with the rest of the industry...with a bit of investment, then we would not have started buying foreign trains in the first place. Mind you we did build some awful trains in the late 70`s and 80`s....all those hideous busses on rails.....the Leyland bus was an awful design when it was on the road:roll:.....the Cl 56......a freight engine that can pull a heavy freight train easily when it is on a dry rail or it just wants to wheel slip.....the saviour of loco design...Cl 58 which was advertised as easy to maintain...and a "world class design we can sell round the world"....was how it was billed if my memory serves me correctly......cant say we ever sold any abroad did we?
Of course they are good enough "on the cheap" to constuct LGV`s.
Only good thing about a 58 was the ability to sleep well on one !
Cheap brown plastic dashboard like something from a 70`s Datsun !
By the time we started building good trains.....and there aren`t many....it was too late...all funding had stopped.
I remember travelling from Euston to Willesden on an empty stock APT which had been running a relief service and thought along with the driver why had this project been cancelled when it was finally good enough to run as required, although i don`t know if it was used with tilt switched off !
1980...we had a fleet of HST`s running...( good train in my opinion )
1980....The french had their first TGV.....
The major difference........building new railways to run these trains on....
We built motorways.....
The French built......railways
Do you see a theme here....
Oh yes......RBS is not fincially sound .....try looking at the news today !!!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The French built motorways as well, though. Damn good ones too. They contine to build LGVs AND motorways.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
TGV Old and New (new one's more "Japanized" and curvy)
TGV_S103_512.jpg
Actually, the one of the left is a TGV Réseau, and the one on the right is an AVE Class 103, which is a Siemens product, which is essentially a modified version of the DB Class 403 and 406, otherwise known as the "ICE3", it is most certainly not a TGV product.

Teaboy1

Yes I do believe the French build motorways and the Millau viaduct, etc etc.
The French government is always supportive of its industries, unlike ours. My point is that a British company could not buy a French industry with an objective of shutting down after a few years! They (the government) would not allow it, the workers would be out en-mass and they would blockade the channel ports etc.
They however can, see for example Staveley Iron Spun Pipes ??, its next to the M1 just north of East Midlands Airport...bought by St Gabain Glass (French !) and although its just about open, its a shadow of its former self and most of the technology has hived off back to France.
Dont get me wrong, I like and admire the French but I do wish we had a government like those Frenchies. The EU more-or-less revolves around France. Our politicians are total scum when compared to their politicians. I would just like to see British assets in British ownership!!
Q. Will any foreign companies try to take over RBS??? Not in my life....! They only focus on whats good for their business.

End:cry:

bluemeansgo

Just a point regarding design.

The closer we get to natural designs the better. Human creations don't even come close to biological ones.

If you look at the field of bio-mimicry... you'll find that scientists are finding reasons why things were made the way they were.

Most designs are stuck in the past, when we were limited by the physical processes that bound what we could realistically design.

Look at the Aptera:
aptera1.jpg

Sure, it's weird looking, but it has an extremely low drag... very functional.

In time, we will start to see the beauty of natural, organic designs as we are (hopefully) less limited by the process.

Some say, that form follows function, but isn't form more about appreciation and accustomization?

PS. Can a moderator fix the title of this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.