• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pilning Station Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

AverageTD

I've noticed that over the past few weeks, the 1500 Cardiff to Taunton has been skipping Pilning although I thought it was one of the two Saturday services scheduled to stop. The latest GWR timetable says it still stops at the station at 15:32. Has this stop only just been reintroduced in the latest timetable change?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I've noticed that over the past few weeks, the 1500 Cardiff to Taunton has been skipping Pilning although I thought it was one of the two Saturday services scheduled to stop. The latest GWR timetable says it still stops at the station at 15:32. Has this stop only just been reintroduced in the latest timetable change?

This is because there is only access to the one platform since Network Rail removed the footbridge

Sean Emmett

It's the down (westbound) platform that is no longer accessible, so no reason why Sat 15.00 Cardiff to Taunton train shouldn't call?

RTT showing it calling stopping on Saturday 22 May.

AverageTD

Whoops, just realised that it was a different service that served Pilning! the previous timetable had the 15:00 not stopping at Pilning but the new change means that it now does. I seem to remember the train was even earlier in the first few timetables after the footbridge closure.

Dai Corner

Established Member
On 15 May, for example, the 1500 Cardiff-Taunton was booked to be an IET. I think this had been the case for while. I'd imagine these aren't cleared to call at Pilning.

With the shortage of IETs at the moment it will probably be a DMU or Castle class HST so will be able to stop.

387star

On Moderation
The line is bi-di from Patchway through Severn Tunnel so the platform can in theory be used in either direction still

pdeaves

Established Member
On 15 May, for example, the 1500 Cardiff-Taunton was booked to be an IET. I think this had been the case for while. I'd imagine these aren't cleared to call at Pilning.

With the shortage of IETs at the moment it will probably be a DMU or Castle class HST so will be able to stop.

Just to point out that RTT does not show booked traction type, it shows the type used to calculate timings. This is not necessarily the same thing (but clearly could be).

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
The 1500 Cardiff-Taunton is no longer diagrammed to be an IET (not related to the fleet crisis) so the Pilning stop has been restored to the latest train that can call in hours of daylight (based on mid-winter worst case.) Previously it was the train an hour earlier by operational necessity.

AverageTD

The 1500 Cardiff-Taunton is no longer diagrammed to be an IET (not related to the fleet crisis) so the Pilning stop has been restored to the latest train that can call in hours of daylight (based on mid-winter worst case.) Previously it was the train an hour earlier by operational necessity.
Any idea what it is? Guessing a 158 or a 255

Status
Not open for further replies.