• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Place name differences: the railway calls it by this name, but everyone else calls it by that name!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidGrain

Established Member
I have not been to Hell (Norway) but I do live in Birmingham and therefore know Birmingham New Street very well.

Let us be fair. Birmingham New Street is only Hell if:
a) You have not been there since the rebuild
or
b) You need to change trains there.

I used to tell people I was meeting that I would see them at the barrier. Now there are 7 barrier lines. Now I tell them to try to find the Ticket Office and I will meet them there. That is if they don't miss me on the other side of one of the pillars.

I think it took 3 weeks of operation before they realised that to get from the A ends of platforms 1-5 to the A ends of platforms 6-12 you either:
a) went through the barriers twice
or
b) walked to the B end to use the lift or escallator, walked through the 'Red Lounge', used a lift or escalator down to the platform, walked along the platform to the A end.

You have to remember that the purpose of the rebuild was not to increase capacity in number of trains but to increase the number of passenger that could be accommodated before they had to close the station on safety grounds.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

krus_aragon

Established Member
Tends to be referred to as just Mac by many on the railway.

I wonder why the railway chose Portmadoc rather than the parish name of Ynyscynhaiarn? 8-)

For the answer to that question you need to look at the history of William Maddocks, local landowner who enlarged the harbour, built the Cob embankment, and promoted a stagecoach route via his land to the harbour of Porthdinllaen for travel to Ireland. (The same route was surveyed for a railway, but Holyhead won out both times.

Remember also that the Ffestiniog Railway (supported through Parliament by Maddocks) was built long before the standard gauge Aberystwyth & Welsh Coast Railway was ever proposed.

quarella

Weston Milton Station is actually located in the Ashcombe Part of Weston-S-M, with Milton being a good mile walk away.

I would have to disagree with you there. Were you going off Google map labels? Saville Road from which the station is accessed is is most definitely in Milton albeit at the southern extremity. To walk to the main shopping part of lower Milton on Milton Road is only half a mile. To the shops of Upper Milton on Upper Bristol Road is 0.8 mile. I have known people living in area the area bounded by Chesham Road North and South (Split by the form WC&P trackbed), Ashcombe Road, Milton Road, and Locking Road and none of them have ever referred to living in Ashcombe, either in town or Milton.

Weston Milton should be on here though as it is still often referred to by its former name of Milton Halt by those old enough to remember it being called that or just Milton by those who are younger.

Dhassell

I would have to disagree with you there. Were you going off Google map labels? Saville Road from which the station is accessed is is most definitely in Milton albeit at the southern extremity. To walk to the main shopping part of lower Milton on Milton Road is only half a mile. To the shops of Upper Milton on Upper Bristol Road is 0.8 mile. I have known people living in area the area bounded by Chesham Road North and South (Split by the form WC&P trackbed), Ashcombe Road, Milton Road, and Locking Road and none of them have ever referred to living in Ashcombe, either in town or Milton.

Weston Milton should be on here though as it is still often referred to by its former name of Milton Halt by those old enough to remember it being called that or just Milton by those who are younger.
I still think its too south to be classed as in Milton, but I would personally say its probably the best station name. All to their own I guess.

Bevan Price

Established Member
In the 1980s St Helens Central was actually called Shaw St.

The original St. Helens Central was at the end of the branch line from Lowton St. Marys (GCR, then LNER). According to some experts, St. Helens was renamed St. Helens Shaw Street by BR in 1948. That may possibly be when "Shaw Street" was added to the platform signs, but the name Shaw Street had been used in timetables for many years prior to that. The name change from Shaw St. to Central is relatively recent, although many locals still think of it as Shaw St.

And whilst in the area, Lea Green station is not in Lea Green - it is in the Marshalls Cross area of Sutton, St. Helens. The name St. Helens Junction has been adopted for the area close to that station, but it is actually part of what was once Sutton Village.

And Tuebrook Sidings, Edge Hill (Liverpool) are about 2 miles from Tuebrook.

rs101

So much so that as far as I recall buses go to North Station not Colchester Station. [Has been a few years since I've been there though]

Well that station is on North Station Road...

It's also to avoid the confusion with the Hythe (Colchester) and Colchester Town/St Botolph's stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.