• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Places that don't have an Underground station that really should"

Status
Not open for further replies.

LUYMun

An article popped up on my feed, which was a list of places in and around London the journalist thinks might be useful.
27 places that don’t have a London Underground station that really should
The London Underground is a wonderful gift, even if the majority of us Londoners complain about it most of the time.
So why then are there some areas of London that just don't have Underground stations? There are huge swathes of the capital that just don't have the Tube at all.
We've decided to take matters into our own hands and list all the places we think should be on the London Underground.
Do you agree?
And here are the places they wanted LU to expand their lines to:
North London and beyond
1. Mill End

Sitting just before the M25, anyone living in Mill End would have to go either to Rickmansworth or Chorleywood. It would be way better to add just another stop in between.
2. Hemel Hempstead
After all the Metropolitan Line reaches Chesham which is about as far away from London as Hemel Hempstead. If the Met Line could just extend a bit further, everyone who lives in Hemel and works in London would have a much easier commute.
3. Brent Park
There's a huge gap in between the Jubilee Line and the Piccadilly Line where there's a distinct lack of London Underground stations. Brent Park and surrounding areas like Church End, Roundwood and Stonebridge would definitely benefit from a little branch off the Jubilee Line.
4. Ducks Island
Because there's nothing in between High Barnet and Edgware, so this is a great midway point.
5. Alexandra Palace
If only this existed. Currently it's such a ball ache to get to concerts and other events at Ally Pally. There's multiple ways to get there, which will usually involve at least one Tube, a train and a bus or a long walk (it takes 23 minutes to walk from Alexandra Palace station). If the Northern Line could just continue up and stop much closer to the Palace we'd all be very grateful.
6. Stansted Airport
I know this is way outside of London but Heathrow gets its own Tube stop.
7. Luton Airport
Same for Luton, everyone's lives would be so much easier and cheaper if the Tube went there. No more 2am buses because the trains have stopped.
South London and beyond
8. New Addington
There's a famous lack of London Underground stations in South London. And while the tram is useful if you are travelling between places in South London, it doesn't really help if you want to go elsewhere.
New Addington's a pretty big place and it would benefit from having at least one connection to a London Underground line. Maybe the Northern Line should just branch off and go east like it currently goes west.
9. Croydon
The same goes for the rest of Croydon. It's such a big place and loads of London workers live there. It could also sit on this life-changing Northern Line extension.
10. Bexley
Currently the closest TfL stop to Bexley is probably Woolwich, which is actually on the DLR so I'm not even sure if you can count it as "London Underground". It works in similar ways so you probably can.
11. Orpington
In the north of London, the Tube goes all the way to Amersham and Chesham so arguably places like Orpington should have an Underground connection into London too.
12. Bromley
Bromley is a huge place, I mean it's an entire London borough. And yet there are now London Underground stops to be seen. There are plans which aren't very far advanced to bring the Bakerloo line to Bromley. Make it happen we say!
13. Peckham
Peckham is becoming more and more of a popular place to both live and party so it would be useful if it were on a Tube line.
Currently it has Peckham Rye on the Overground, which is also catered for by Southern, Thameslink and Southeastern, and Queens Road Peckham on the Overground and Southern lines but there's no way of heading straight into central London on the Underground. It means getting to or from Peckham after a night out is a struggle.
14. Sutton
Sutton is also one of those places that just doesn't have a Tube in sight. But that's kind of frustrating since Morden, the end of the Northern Line, is only just a bit north of Sutton. Just add one more stop to that line and you're sorted.
15. Honor Oak Park
South East London is pretty devoid of Underground stations. Honor Oak Park is one example, but this could easily be applied to Forest Hill, Dulwich, and Brockley too. It must be a pain for people living there. They have the Overground and Southern Rail, but it still makes travelling into Central more complicated than if it was on the Underground.
16. Deptford
Same goes for Deptford! You've obviously got the train into London Bridge but what do you do if you've been on a night out and need to get to or from Deptford? Right now a slow bus or expensive taxi is your only option.
17. Blackheath
Blackheath is a pretty desirable place to live, With a lovely town centre, Blackheath Common and Greenwich Park right on your doorstep, there's a lot to love about the area.
It's downside is the transport connections. Your only option is Southeastern Railway, which runs into London Bridge and Victoria, and that's more expensive than getting the Underground.
18. Bluewater Shopping Centre
Yes OK it's not in London, it's in Kent, but it would definitely be used if there was a Tube connection to this popular shopping and entertainment district.
East London and beyond
19. Ilford
Ilford sits on TfL Rail but you still have to change at Liverpool Street and also it means it's not accessible via the Night Tube. Why not just add another branch to the Central Line?
20. Rainham
Rainham, in the borough of Havering, does have its own station, sitting on the C2C line. But it's not that far away from the District line in places like Elm Park and Dagenham East and it would be super useful to have that connection.
21. Southend-on-Sea
Also not in London, but Southend is the perfect place to go for a mini holiday, a beach visit or just some fish and chips. Why not help us out and just extend the district line (for ages).
West London and beyond
22. Hampton Court Palace

It's quite a pain to get to Hampton Court Palace now. You have to make your way to Kingston (which also isn't on an Underground line, and then get a bus.
That part of London should definitely be on the Tube. That way more of us could enjoy days out at the palace!
23. Kingston
Kingston is a lovely place to live but quite difficult to get to. You have to get a Southern or South Western Railway train from Victoria, and they aren't that regular.
24. Twickenham
Twickenham is one of those places that people often need to go to, whether for a big rugby match at the stadium or something like a conference. Yet you wouldn't think it. Once again you have to go to a national rail station, Waterloo or Victoria in this case, then get a train. Once again it's more expensive than if the District Line could just be extended a tiny bit from Richmond.
25. Southall
Southall is a busy West London area in the borough of Ealing but it doesn't have an Underground station. You'd have to go to somewhere like Paddington and get TfL Rail or Great Western Railway if you needed to go there.
26. Hanworth and Feltham
A fair amount of West London is on the Tube line thanks to the Central and Piccadilly Lines. Unfortunately neither Hanworth nor Feltham, which are neighbouring areas of Hounslow, are on the Underground network. Feltham has one station on South Western Railway while Hanworth has none at all.
27. Thorpe Park
This is just because I would so make use of an Underground line that went to Thorpe Park. And it's not that far from places like Feltham.
https://www.mylondon.news/news/news-opinion/27-places-dont-london-underground-16784843
I had mixed opinions on this, some of the examples were good, some bad, some already in proposal. But reading the article takes the fact these ideas were certainly not considered seriously. I can only agree with the first one, but all the others are completely unrealistic or possible to be completed as some sort of Crossrail route. What's your side of opinions, everyone?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's light-hearted and not to be taken remotely seriously. It's mildly amusing at first but then gets repetitive.

e.g. "If the Met Line could just extend a bit further, everyone who lives in Hemel and works in London would have a much easier commute"; if this was true everyone who lives in Watford and works in London would take the Met. It's just nonsense.

It's basically saying "anywhere that is a similar distance from London as Chesham should be part of London Underground"; it makes no sense at all. It's a quirk of history that the Metropolitan Railway became part of LU; it wouldn't have done if the line had just terminated at Baker Street. The argument holds no merit and there is no way this is intended to be taken seriously.

jumble

It's light-hearted and not to be taken remotely seriously. It's mildly amusing at first but then gets repetitive.

e.g. "If the Met Line could just extend a bit further, everyone who lives in Hemel and works in London would have a much easier commute"; if this was true everyone who lives in Watford and works in London would take the Met. It's just nonsense.

It's basically saying "anywhere that is a similar distance from London as Chesham should be part of London Underground"; it makes no sense at all. It's a quirk of history that the Metropolitan Railway became part of LU; it wouldn't have done if the line had just terminated at Baker Street. The argument holds no merit and there is no way this is intended to be taken seriously.

I agree total rubbish

The Fast NR trains from Hemel to Euston take 31 minutes
The Fastest Chesham to Euston Square takes 60 minutes never mind from Hemel

Ethano92

23. Kingston
Kingston is a lovely place to live but quite difficult to get to. You have to get a Southern or South Western Railway train from Victoria, and they aren't that regular.

Put together very lightheartedly and haphazardly too. Southern doesn't go anywhere near Kingston, trains from Kingston don't go to Victoria, and although it could do with more I don't see 4tph as too infrequent.

Same as Ilford, crazy that a journalist working for 'MyLondon' isn't aware of what crossrail is planning to do. They even completely forgot about the Bakerloo running between the Jubilee and the Piccadilly and that was only the 3rd suggestion

Definitely agree on fun at first but then it gets repetitive

sprunt

"Why can't there be a new tube line from just outside my front door to just outside my office?"

LUYMun

6. Stansted Airport
I know this is way outside of London but Heathrow gets its own Tube stop.
7. Luton Airport
Same for Luton, everyone's lives would be so much easier and cheaper if the Tube went there. No more 2am buses because the trains have stopped.
What's like a tube line, but runs on different electric power, goes twice as fast and skips many stops? National Rail! Use it!

BJames

Established Member
Obviously light hearted and agree with above. But one main thing...
5. Alexandra Palace
If only this existed. Currently it's such a ball ache to get to concerts and other events at Ally Pally. There's multiple ways to get there, which will usually involve at least one Tube, a train and a bus or a long walk (it takes 23 minutes to walk from Alexandra Palace station). If the Northern Line could just continue up and stop much closer to the Palace we'd all be very grateful.

This is a bit odd - there are two main ways to get there, Great Northern to Alexandra Palace station which is next to Ally Pally funnily enough, and the Piccadilly Line to Wood Green which is easily walkable. Not sure where those 23 minutes are, unless I've misunderstood this one.

Terry Tait

A branch coming off the Victoria line with a new station at Bounces Road, Edmonton would really help my dear old mum.

transmanche

Established Member
This is a bit odd - there are two main ways to get there, Great Northern to Alexandra Palace station which is next to Ally Pally funnily enough, and the Piccadilly Line to Wood Green which is easily walkable. Not sure where those 23 minutes are, unless I've misunderstood this one.
Have you actually ever walked from Alexandra Palace station or Wood Green tube station to Alexandra Palace itself? You've got to climb a very steep hill!

LUYMun

4. Ducks Island
Because there's nothing in between High Barnet and Edgware, so this is a great midway point.
5. Alexandra Palace
If the Northern Line could just continue up and stop much closer to the Palace we'd all be very grateful.
8. New Addington
Maybe the Northern Line should just branch off and go east like it currently goes west.
9. Croydon
It could also sit on this life-changing Northern Line extension.
14. Sutton
Just add one more stop to the Northern line and you're sorted.
Let's extend the Northern line everywhere, maybe Birmingham for starters, it's a lot better than HS2!

causton

Established Member
Have you actually ever walked from Alexandra Palace station or Wood Green tube station to Alexandra Palace itself? You've got to climb a very steep hill!

It does not take 23 minutes. You can be out of Alexandra Palace station and there in less than 10. Or, shock horror, take a bus one or two stops :D

The rest of it is just puzzling, don't get me started on Hampton Court Palace, ignoring the fact there is a station called... Hampton Court!!!

Just someone apparently allergic to taking big trains.

BJames

Established Member
Not Wood Green, have done Alexandra Palace station - I suppose it is steep but I always thought it was a fairly decent station to get to the venue.
It does not take 23 minutes. You can be out of Alexandra Palace station and there in less than 10. Or, shock horror, take a bus one or two stops :D
Definitely:D

Busaholic

Veteran Member
If I'd written that as an essay in primary school I'd have expected to have it rejected by the teacher on the basis of poor grammar, repetition, and,more importantly, no grasp of how or why these 'objectives' would be achieved. As a piece of lazy journalism I suppose it's hardly worse than some of the garbage that gets printed nowadays.

transmanche

Established Member
It does not take 23 minutes. You can be out of Alexandra Palace station and there in less than 10.
Well, that depends on your walking speed. 10 mins is doable for many people. However, I suspect (given the quality of the article) that the writer has mixed up the two stations. 23 mins sounds like a reasonable walking time from Wood Green tube station to Ally Pally.

Or, shock horror, take a bus one or two stops :D
It already said that in the article.

urbophile

Established Member
<<22. Hampton Court Palace
It's quite a pain to get to Hampton Court Palace now. You have to make your way to Kingston (which also isn't on an Underground line, and then get a bus.
That part of London should definitely be on the Tube. That way more of us could enjoy days out at the palace!'>>

The last time I went to Hampton Court I got a train to the delightful Jacobean-style station just across the river. What's all that about getting a bus?

<<23. Kingston
Kingston is a lovely place to live but quite difficult to get to. You have to get a Southern or South Western Railway train from Victoria, and they aren't that regular.'>>

I'm sure s/he means 'they aren't that frequent'. Maybe not, from Victoria (!) but they are every 15 minutes from Waterloo. That is both regular and reasonably frequent in my book. Why don't people learn the difference? One train a day is regular but not frequent; a service such as that from Clapham Junction is extremely frequent (every minute or so) but not particularly regular.

PR1Berske

Established Member
It reads like the kind of article parodied by Diamond Geezer. Editor needs 500 or so words, gets intern to knock something together, hashtag it to death, then move onto the next thing. It's fluff.

CatchTheTrain

I would extend the Victoria Line naming Whipps Cross for Hospital and locals over there and South Woodford to finish the line there for connecting Central Line for people heading Woodford for loop or continue to Epping plus ease the overcrowding for Central Line for Central London both Line will go Oxford Circus and Night tube will still continue for the Victoria Line

simple simon

re: No.21 - Southend On Sea - just bring back the Ealing Broadway - Southend Central Southend Corridor Express train. Simples!

A modern train would work with LU automation and all power supply systems.

re Nos. 22 and 23 (Southwest London) the issue is not the accessibility but the cost / fares, which are noticeably higher than on the Underground and some London Overground routes. For PrePay / PAYG users the zonal boundaries may be the same numbers but the amount extracted from the e-purse is of a very different magnitude.

Taunton

Established Member
I don't understand why the DLR and the Overground are not just portrayed as Underground, one system. The technical and contractural arrangements are irrelevant to the passengers, and all the ticketing is integrated.

telstarbox

Established Member
The frequencies aren't turn up and go on some LO lines for a start. Also you can use NR only tickets on LO routes whereas you can't on the Underground.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The TfL branding makes it one network in the eyes of the public.

PeterC

Established Member
The TfL branding makes it one network in the eyes of the public.
Reminds me of the passenger caught by an inspector on a British Rail (as it was then) train bound for Southend waving his Network Southeast map and insisting that it showed where he could use his new fangled (Underground only) Travelcard.

Tom B

Established Member
Will somebody please take the "journalist" 's crayons away?

Yes, obviously not serious, and with zero thought into how practical or otherwise any of these ideas would be. Also fails to take into account green belt restrictions in some of the areas mentioned.

In the case of Ally Pally there is of course the abandoned Northern Heights scheme.Shame the article didn't mention that!

Esker-pades

Established Member
Given that they just published an article with the headline "4 ways the London Underground's Jubilee line could be extended according to those who use it" which was only 4 post from a thread on this forum* (including one post who called their idea "pie in the sky"), I didn't need to read it to decide it wasn't going to be great.
(Source: https://www.mylondon.news/news/east-london-news/4-ways-london-undergrounds-jubilee-16893710 )

I now have read it. Oh dear.

*I can't actually find the thread in question here.

Status
Not open for further replies.