• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Places that have potential to be major hubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
I spelt Mr Roarke's name wrong earlier. Hope he accepts my apologies and it won't affect my time there when I visit the island.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
You'll never get the paths to work since the passing loop at Alderaan Junction mysteriously disappeared.

Have they plain lined it or has it been totaly blown away?

It's still there, but there's a very strong chance of obstructions on the line which is why it is considered out of use - half the time it isn't visible; the other half of the time it is dangerous. I think the route beyond the junction towards Corellia is clear though; why not use it as a hub (it's still got more potential than Tatooine, given that (a) it is more accessible from other locations and(b) for freight usage from smugglers and the like) and have services from there to Coruscant (avoiding Alderaan), with a possible stop at Chandrila en route?

...maybe it's time to call it a day.

tsr

Established Member
Since we're getting very silly now... I may as well finish with a few other developments - perhaps not from the worlds you describe, but nonetheless those able to be defined by the use of planning based on existing folklore and semi-fictional strategy documents...

The planned demolition of the earth for the Intergalactic Superhighway will not go ahead, but the earth's core will be tunnelled through by Vogons for the purposes of HS42 (high speed trains are the government's answer to life, the universe and everything, although the conditions of the use of "Anytime" tickets in quantum multi-dimensional orbits of Betelgeuse are currently not clear).

Plans to rename the "Heart of Wales" to the "Heart of Gold" have been ruled out on economic grounds; tickets routed "DON'T PANIC" are not currently accepted.

transmanche

Established Member
It's still there, but there's a very strong chance of obstructions on the line which is why it is considered out of use - half the time it isn't visible; the other half of the time it is dangerous. I think the route beyond the junction towards Corellia is clear though; why not use it as a hub (it's still got more potential than Tatooine, given that (a) it is more accessible from other locations and(b) for freight usage from smugglers and the like) and have services from there to Coruscant (avoiding Alderaan), with a possible stop at Chandrila en route?
If you want totally ridiculous ideas which will never come to fruition... how about re-opening Gobowen to Oswestry and running Parry People Movers along it? It'll never happen, but I'd love to see a PPM crossing the A5!

STKKK46

Something ought to be done - surely there's a market for a faster Stratford - Birmingham service, rather than (just) the current slow service?

Apparently Chiltern are starting a new Dorridge - Stratford service in December. Not sure on connections, frequency etc, but that's what has been said locally.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Apparently Chiltern are starting a new Dorridge - Stratford service in December. Not sure on connections, frequency etc, but that's what has been said locally.

Where did you hear that?
jggpS.gif

I work for Chiltern and I live in the area and I have heard no such rumour. I have no idea how Chiltern would have the resources or the incentive to run it either.

STKKK46

Where did you hear that?
jggpS.gif

I work for Chiltern and I live in the area and I have heard no such rumour. I have no idea how Chiltern would have the resources or the incentive to run it either.

Fair enough. I agree in some respects, but I have heard it from a pretty reliable source. I think it was advertised/mentioned at Dorridge Station and also Stratford College students are aware of it.

AndyLandy

Established Member
OK, if we're allowing patently ridiculous suggestions, how about London? That could really benefit from a unified London Grand Central station. Imagine being able to connect between an SWT or Southern service and change to a Virgin or East Coast one at the same station without all that tedious pratting around on the tube. Cross-city connection times could be reduced and intercity travel becomes much more convenient! :D

Badger

I always thought the stations were split up to disallow a massive terrorist attack or points failure affecting the entire network. (I was wrong, as it's just down to the days of private companies) but hey, it can still work for that.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
OK, if we're allowing patently ridiculous suggestions, how about London?
Yes, London has the highest density of interchanges in the UK but a highly fragmented structure of terminal stations.
How about a 'London Central Station' along the west side of Park Lane, or under the Farringdon / Barbican area?
I think we can be confident that nothing even remotely like that will happen in current lifetimes - more interconnection between existing termini, perhaps, but no centralisation.
Similar fragmentation exists in Manchester and Glasgow, both of which serve as high volume interchanges, and while "The Northern Hub" goes some way towards integrating the Manchester stations, I see no prospect of the Glasgow terminals becoming integrated.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The most annoying point, with regard to London termini, is that there is no direct connection, via the underground, between each station. In an ideal world you would have each station connected by the circle line. Mind you a central super station would be great!

I imagine the lack of such things is a legacy of the fragmented and unstructured way in which the railways were developed in this country.

AndyLandy

Established Member
That's an interesting question then - what's the largest city in the world with a single main station? In the UK it would appear to be Leeds.

I certainly recall reading that Newcastle was a rare example of a city with only one main station. I don't know how it compares to Leeds though.

I imagine the lack of such things is a legacy of the fragmented and unstructured way in which the railways were developed in this country.

And a parliamentary decree in the 19th Century that no railways were allowed to cross the centre of London. I think that's probably most at fault here. Even with separate stations for each company, they could perhaps have been built closer together.

I also like the point about the Circle line. Being able to treat each mainline station in London in a similar way to different terminals of an airport is a perfectly reasonable compromise. Having a tube line which actually goes to all of them would be incredibly handy. Or even better, a dedicated shuttle service between them, provided as part of the National Rail network. It's ridiculous that London is the largest interchange and also the least efficient.

Oh, and that neatly brings me to HS2. It's fine that it runs from London to Birmingham, but I think it would be better viewed as running the other way. Additional HS lines out of Birmingham to major destinations in the UK would provide a worthwhile cross-country service that could easily rival domestic air travel.

Hmm, I should probably step down from CloudCuckooLand at this point...

D6975

Established Member
Washwood Heath.

Anyone else remember the plans for Heartlands Interchange???

Overtaken by HS2 and all that now of course.

As for London - those Victorian NIMBYS who wouldn't let trains into the middle of London are now costing us a fortune through Crossrail.

PS Sheffield has only one main station now. Sheffield used to have a bigger population than Leeds, but it's reversed now I think.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
I certainly recall reading that Newcastle was a rare example of a city with only one main station. I don't know how it compares to Leeds though.

Leeds and Newcastle both only have one football team too! Leeds is bigger than Newcastle if you use the "city proper" boundaries, but for all intents and purposes Newcastle and Gateshead are one place and they still only have the one station.

I doubt very much whether the biggest place in the world with only one station is in the UK though, I would imagine it is somewhere overseas which has a rail network but relies on it much less. Los Angeles or somewhere like that.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I certainly recall reading that Newcastle was a rare example of a city with only one main station. I don't know how it compares to Leeds though

Leeds and Newcastle both only have one football team too! Leeds is bigger than Newcastle if you use the "city proper" boundaries, but for all intents and purposes Newcastle and Gateshead are one place and they still only have the one station

I may be pedantic, but isn't Manors essentially in Newcastle city centre?

(not a "main" station, true)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Perhaps a new inner circle line could run Kings Cross/St Pancras, Euston, Marylebone,Paddington, Victoria, Waterloo, London Bridge, Bank, Liverpool Street, Old Street, Kings Cross!

Perhaps a more likely first step would be to create a link between Euston and Euston Square.

I know none of this will ever happen but it would be nice. I would like a way to get the line out into the Clpaham Junction area but you cant do Victoria, Waterloo and Clapham Junction with any sensible route <D

Last edited:

Eagle

Established Member
That's an interesting question then - what's the largest city in the world with a single main station? In the UK it would appear to be Leeds.

Although if you look at that Sheffield and Edinburgh are practically the same size as Leeds (I'll leave it to you to decide whether or not Haymarket is a main station).

Completely tangential, but what's the largest settlement that's only served by one TOC? Evidently it's Walsall (although it might be Dudley, depending on how Dudley is defined), with Poole not far behind.

MK Tom

Established Member
Northampton's only served by London Midland northbound, but has one VT service southbound per day. Otherwise that would take the one-operator cup I think.

Not to blow my local trumpet or anything but I think MKC is going to become a major hub. Not only is MK itself on track to hit 300,000 people within a couple of decades but Network Rail are setting up shop here and after HS2 most if not all WCML expresses will stop here. Add to that the new terminating services from Oxford/beyond and Aylesbury/Wycombe and we'll become a major place to change trains.

Mike C

I always thought Basingstoke is in a very significant point in the national network, and more could be made of it's location in terms of being a hub. Reading nearby is a busier "commuter" node, but Basingstoke has more useful long distance connections.

Eagle

Established Member
... but Basingstoke has more useful long distance connections.

I don't agree with this. There's nowhere major you can get to from Basingstoke that you can't get to from Reading (except Portsmouth, and perhaps Woking which isn't hugely major). Whereas Reading has connections to the west and Wales that Basingstoke doesn't, and a more frequent XC service to the North.

Although changing at Basingstoke is better than at Reading, I agree, simply because it's a smaller station. Like how XC tell everyone to change at Leamington or Cheltenham or Wolves or Derby.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I always thought Basingstoke is in a very significant point in the national network, and more could be made of it's location in terms of being a hub. Reading nearby is a busier "commuter" node, but Basingstoke has more useful long distance connections.

Really? I can see Woking and Portsmouth, but Reading has Bristol, the West Country, South Wales, Derby, Yorkshire and Newcastle, as well as Gatwick Airport.

Mike C

Oh, it was just a thought from something I saw today - Basingstoke is in quite an important "crossroads" in the network.

I'm not suggesting it is a great idea. Just an idea. I see your point, but Derby, Yorkshire, Newcastle and Manchester can all be got to directly from Basingstoke too. In addition to Woking and Portsmouth there is Salisbury too.

Eagle

Established Member
Oh, it was just a thought from something I saw today - Basingstoke is in quite an important "crossroads" in the network.

I'm not suggesting it is a great idea. Just an idea. I see your point, but Derby, Yorkshire, Newcastle and Manchester can all be got to directly from Basingstoke too. In addition to Woking and Portsmouth there is Salisbury too.

Bearing in mind that services to the east midlands and north east are hourly from Reading, but only two-hourly from Basingstoke.

Tamworth is at an extremely major crossroads, but it's an awful hub.

pt_mad

Established Member
Bearing in mind that services to the east midlands and north east are hourly from Reading, but only two-hourly from Basingstoke.

Tamworth is at an extremely major crossroads, but it's an awful hub.

Yup and they direct everyone connecting to New Street. If it rains at Tamworth you get wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.