• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Places that have potential to be major hubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nym

Established Member
The only extra station I can think of that makes good sense for the Preston area would be at Garstang for UCLAN and/or Garstang. Without putting a new branch back out again.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Howe about renaming Squires Gate "Preston Airport" ?

Because it's in Blackpool...?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VTPreston_Tez

Why does a city the size of Preston (remember its entire urban area, including Leyland, Chorley and others, never mind Preston by itself, is only slightly larger than the urban area around Aldershot) need two major stations? The station that exists now is more than sufficient for the city; it just so happens to be a major interchange on a major artery that inflates its patronage. If a city the size of Southampton should have one four-platform stationb, why should Preston have two that are far more prominent?

I know you're young, but maybe when you're a bit older and have seen more of the country you might realise that Preston does pretty well station-wise already.

P.S. "Preston Bamber Bridge" sounds ridiculous.

I see your point, at least add a 2-platform station or something that covers the west and maybe one for Barton Grange!
I know the PBB name sounds ridiculous but it would grow. But living near Westleigh with a horrible bus service already, you would understand if you ever did a Preston Challenge or lived near where the old Lea Road station was.

Lampshade

Established Member
I see your point, at least add a 2-platform station or something that covers the west and maybe one for Barton Grange!

What? Why? :shock:

I know the PBB name sounds ridiculous but it would grow. But living near Westleigh with a horrible bus service already, you would understand if you ever did a Preston Challenge or lived near where the old Lea Road station was.

No it wouldn't, Bamber Bridge is in a completely different borough.

I see the case for providing Salwick with a better service but reopening Lea Road is a stupid idea (the train's a bit too posh for the people of Savick anyway :lol:) Doesn't the 88A run every 15 minutes to the station?

And a Preston Challenge... that'll take all of 45 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.