• Dear Guest, and welcome to RailUK Forums. Our non-railway discussion forums are currently restricted until members have five or more posts, and you will not be able to make a new thread or reply to an existing one in this section until you have made five or more posts elsewhere on the forum.

Plan to make people active

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almost one in every 14 deaths is linked to physical inactivity, a new study suggests.
Some 7.2 per cent of deaths around the world can be put down to inactivity, according to the research.
The researchers, who reviewed the scientific literature on inactivity and death and disease, also found higher rates in higher income countries.

In higher income countries almost one in every 10 (9.3 per cent) deaths are attributed to physical inactivity.
People are urged to get at least 150 minutes of moderate activity each week, or 75 minutes of vigorous intensity activity.
The scale of the problem is so severe that sources have leaked plans to implement an OpenUp anti-curfew between the hours of 1600 and 1800 every evening. This will initially be for 3 weeks to "flatten the curve" of inactivity however sources said that this could be extended for up to 12 months. Repeated OpenUps cannot be ruled out, however this will depend on a positive reaction by authoritarians on social media platforms.

During the OpenUp anti-curfew period, legislation will force all persons to engage in physical activity outside their home; no person must stay at home nor be found outside their home in a non-active state without reasonable excuse.

Reasonable excuses will likely include caring for a vulnerable person, being at work (where the work cannot reasonably be done while engaging in physical activity), and various other reasons yet to be finalised.

Professor Ferguson indicated that such measures could be implemented indefinitely, if a vaccine against inactivity could not be developed. Professor Ferguson's model indicated that inactivity could spread to 80% of the population if measures were not taken.

Government guidance may recommend twice the amount of exercise as mandated by law; this will ensure that people who are not sufficiently active will be placed under additional pressure to adhere to the more onerous guidance by friends, family and neighbours.

Active Marshalls could be deployed during these hours to ensure people are active, while the police could set up hotlines for snitchers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eMeS

If it wasn't April 1st I might have taken some of the above at face value...

meanwhile, I've certainly noticed a loss of general fitness as my outings have been curtailed over the last year.

Other way round for me. My daughter has taken up walking as part of a Strava challenge. As she only works 4 days a week, I have joined her for longer local walks in the country, usually on Fridays. Not huge, 8 to 10 km. But I certainly notice that I don't have to stop as often as i did for breathers. And I've seen a lot of things away from the road that I didn't know existed. The one issue I find is that I have great difficulty going over stiles due to lack of flexibility of my legs.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Other way round for me. My daughter has taken up walking as part of a Strava challenge. As she only works 4 days a week, I have joined her for longer local walks in the country, usually on Fridays. Not huge, 8 to 10 km. But I certainly notice that I don't have to stop as often as i did for breathers. And I've seen a lot of things away from the road that I didn't know existed. The one issue I find is that I have great difficulty going over stiles due to lack of flexibility of my legs.
That's great. Yes you will slowly notice an improvement in fitness and general wellbeing; it's not just a physical thing, even your mental health will improve.

Personally walking isn't sufficient for me; I need rigerous exercise too. But during the disgraceful lockdown walking was my main source of exercise.

I should be back to playing football 5 hours a week in a couple of weeks time (less than half that this week and next) but at least I will be reasonably fit going into it, having walked many hundreds of miles in the last year.

I am walking about 20km with other forum members in a 24 hour period, starting around 4pm today, mostly along disused railway lines.

al78

Established Member
This is a difficult one. When we've had policies over the decades which positively encourage people to drive even short distances and penalise those who choose not to use a car, is it surprising that people make it their mission in life to move as little as possible? The problem is to be physically active, you have to have an interest in something that involves exhertion, if someone isn't, they are never going to be active. It is like trying to encourage people to cycle instead of drive for short distances, not going to happen if they have no interest in cycling and we continue to prioritise motor traffic and have crap infrastructure for utility cycling, hence why cycling represents a few percent of mileage or journeys in general.

I have just found out my gym reopens next Monday so I can resume strength training on top of some long and hilly walks in training for my Scotland backpacking trip at the end of May/early June.

Status
Not open for further replies.