• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Plan To Rename "Racist" Berlin U Bahn Station Runs Into Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncanp

Established Member

Oh dear, you had better not let the politically correct brigade get anywhere near this article.

If "Moor Street" is considered as a "racist" name for a railway station, what about the station of exactly the same name which exists in Birmingham?

Then we have Moorfields, Moorgate, Moorside and Moorthorpe stations on the national rail network, not to mention several stations beginning with the word "white" or "black".

Don't get me wrong, I deplore racism as much as any right thinking person should, but I cannot agree with the notion that a station name such as "Moor Street" is "racist".

Plans to rename a central Berlin U-Bahn station in the wake of the anti-racism movement have run into opposition amid claims the new name will honour an anti-Semite.
Berliner Verkehrsbetriebe (BVG), the German capital’s public transport company, last week announced plans to rename Mohrenstrasse station “out of understanding and respect”.
The name translates as Moor Street, which is widely considered a derogatory term for black people.
The BVG initially won praise when it announced the station would be renamed Glinkastrasse, or Glinka Street, after another nearby street.
But the plans have provoked a backlash from critics who claim Mikhail Glinka, the Russian composer in whose honour the street is named, was an anti-Semite.
Glinka, one of the first Russian composers to gain widespread recognition, is considered the “father of Russian music”.
But he described the Jewish composer Anton Rubinstein with the derogatory term “zhid” in a letter, and has been described as an anti-Semite by the leading American musicologist Richard Taruskin.
Mandatory Credit: Photo by CLEMENS BILAN/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock (10700897a) (FILE) A sheet of paper reading 'George Floyd' posted over the name of Berlin metro station Mohrenstrasse in Berlin, Germany, 04 June 2020 (reissued 03 July 2020). 'Mohr' is an outdated German term for people with dark skin dating back to times of colonialism and slavery. In recent weeks statues with figures related to slavery, colonialism or occupation are the target of vandalism. According to media reports the Berlin public transportation company BVG decides to rename the metro station from Mohrenstrasse to Glinkastrasse. Mohrenstrasse metro station to be renamed, Berlin, Germany - 04 Jun 2020

Calls to change the name of the station have grown in the wake of anti-racism protests CREDIT: CLEMENS BILAN/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock
The BVG said it had selected Glinkastrasse as neutral new name for the U-Bahn station because it was a nearby street, rather than in honour of the composer.
“We didn’t make the decision in favour of a name, we decided to act against one that is widely seen as a derogatory term,” a spokesman for the company told Bild newspaper.
The station’s name has been changed many times over the years. When it opened in 1908, it was called Kaiserhof after a nearby hotel.
But it was in East Berlin during the Cold War division of Germany and was renamed twice by the communist East German authorities, first in honour of Ernst Thälmann, a communist politician murdered by the Nazis, and later after Otto Grotewohl, an East German leader.
It was renamed Mohrenstrasse after German reunification, when the Berlin authorities removed communist names from the city map.
Ramona Pop, the business minister in the Berlin regional government, praised the BVG for “sending a clear signal against discrimination” and called for an “open debate on the future name of the station”.
There are so far no plans to rename Mohrenstrasse, the street where the station lies.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If "Moor Street" is considered as a "racist" name for a railway station, what about the station of exactly the same name which exists in Birmingham?

What's racist about it? The Moors were an advanced culture of Muslims in north Africa, weren't they, famous for e.g. some very impressive architecture? I don't see anything as being derogatory about that and I never heard anything connected with insults about it?

Edit:

The term has also been used in Europe in a broader, somewhat derogatory sense to refer to Muslims in general,[7] especially those of Arab or Berber descent, whether living in Spain or North Africa.[8] During the colonial era, the Portuguese introduced the names "Ceylon Moors" and "Indian Moors" in South Asia and Sri Lanka, and the Bengali Muslims were also called Moors.[9] In the Philippines, the longstanding Muslim community, which predates the arrival of the Spanish, now self-identifies as the "Moro people", an exonym introduced by Spanish colonizers due to their Muslim faith.

Well, I never heard of that. Is that maybe an exclusively German usage?

deltic

Established Member
Moor has a number of meanings - including the one that most people probably associate with it ie a tract of open uncultivated land

StephenHunter

Established Member
You have to remember that what is seen as racist varies from country to country.

Mauerstrasse is another option, BTW.

Veteran Member
What's racist about it? The Moors were an advanced culture of Muslims in north Africa, weren't they, famous for e.g. some very impressive architecture? I don't see anything as being derogatory about that and I never heard anything connected with insults about it?

Edit:

Well, I never heard of that. Is that maybe an exclusively German usage?
Nor had I -
It would depend on context, obviously (e.g. Mohren is Luther's equivalent for the land English Bibles call Cush (the Horn of Africa, roughly), but it seems it has become a derogatory term.

BTW there is a German word "Moor" as well - meaning (peat)bog or fen.

iainbhx

Oh dear, you had better not let the politically correct brigade get anywhere near this article.

Then we have Moorfields, Moorgate, Moorside and Moorthorpe stations on the national rail network, not to mention several stations beginning with the word "white" or "black".

Don't get me wrong, I deplore racism as much as any right thinking person should, but I cannot agree with the notion that a station name such as "Moor Street" is "racist".

Different Meaning. Moor in most cases in the UK means the geographical feature. Mohren in German has no such other meaning.

That station has had several names, it was first Kaiserhof, then Wilhelmplatz, then Thälmannplatz, then Otto-Grotewohl-Straße and finally Mohrenstraße.

I know that bit of Berlin very well, I've stayed in a hotel on Mohrenstraße many, many times since the wall came down. It's not a huge residential area, especially not around the Station which is mainly offices, embassies (the North Korean Embassy is right by the station) and a few shops and hotels. Why not call it Zietenplatz after the name of the place the station probably used to access the most - Mall of Berlin.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Different Meaning. Moor in most cases in the UK means the geographical feature. Mohren in German has no such other meaning.

Ah.

FWIW the word "Moor" does come up in German and has a similar meaning to English (though not quite) - a low lying marshy piece of open land. (In English it's usually used to describe hilly or high land of that nature).

Established Member
London's got the right idea with practically 'random name generator' stuff like Elephant & Castle.

Our German friends should go with Helicopter & Creosote.

PeterC

Established Member
I was trying to think of any UK stations that were candidates for renaming as they don't fit with modern woke sentiment.

Victoria, Waterloo and Trafalgar Square of course. Not sure about any others.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I was trying to think of any UK stations that were candidates for renaming as they don't fit with modern woke sentiment.

I dunno, the entertainment value of renaming St Pancras to "Agincourt Internationale" would almost be worth it :D

Peter Kelford

Well 'Blackfriars' would completely be ignoring the context but fits the bill much in the way 'blacklist' does. What about the saints? St. Pancras etcetera. I suppose that it constitutes religious partiality. King's Cross etc.
I imagine that outside the London very much the same folly would apply. I wonder how people will get round the fact that Victoria is now a thriving part of Westminster?

Mind you the problem is worse in France as so many places are named after battles (e.g. Austerlitz).

Status
Not open for further replies.