• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Plane Bashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tubefan2013

To be honest I never do plane bashing for the sake of it. I only use planes such as going on hoilday! But the latest planes I have been on are
Easy Jet - A319
Thompson- 757-200 and 737-800
Jet 2 737-300

ivanhoe

Back recently from Tenerife on a Thomson
737 800. Great seat pitches for a 737.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I am just getting back into the hobby after a few years away. Did an E190 LCY-GLA last month - great service on a breakfast flight!

Got a GLA-LHR 767 booked for March too.

route101

Established Member
I am just getting back into the hobby after a few years away. Did an E190 LCY-GLA last month - great service on a breakfast flight!

Got a GLA-LHR 767 booked for March too.

Flying GLA - LHR on the 767 this saturday:p

stut

Established Member
Also known as "the only vaguely bearable CRJ" ;)

I hope BA have refurbed their s/h 767s. They were shocking when I used to get them on LBR-BUD.

flymo

Established Member
Righty ho then, just booked up a return trip to UK courtesy of Emirates via DXB which should knock up a 773 and 3 x 380 for the 4 legs (HKG-DXB-LHR and return).

Didn't opt for the DXB-NCL flight this time as that route was about £150 more expensive than the LHR flight. Even looked at Manchester this time as I can't really get on with LHR any more but a lengthy wait in DXB again was not for me I'm afraid.

Now just waiting for the Advance tickets from Kings Cross to Newcastle to become available. :)

Butts

Veteran Member
Completed my set of UK Capital Airports today, with a Day Trip from EDI to CWL - yes good old Maes Awyr Caerdydd :lol:

I wondered why the X91 to the City Centre only ran every couple of hours..

The place is like The Marie Celeste - there were only about a dozen flights all day.

I was really suprised as I thought it would be as busy as say Southampton at least - not as quiet as Stornoway :p

Still I'm not complaining Security on the return leg was a breeze !!!

Seriously why is it so quiet :idea:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Always has been fairly quiet down there, never known CWL to be a busy place.

Got my first flight of the year, and indeed in over 4 months, on Monday when I did the 1715 BRS > NCL with Easyjet. Not looked in my AFQR as I didn't take it with me randomly, but pretty sure G-EZFV was a winner. Starting to find Bristol is my preferred airport these days, every time I want to fly from BHX to somewhere I end up finding there's no flights from there. Meaning I have to use either Manchester or Bristol, which is annoying as it costs considerably more to do so.

Granted, sometimes it's cheaper even with the extra rail fare to fly to somewhere non-BHX. Like when I'm flying back from Brussels next month (I'd been booked on a Eurostar, but somehow accidentally booked 15th February not 15th March!) I'm flying back to Manchester as it was only €18. Unfortunately it means a Travelodge night will also be required, but the airport one is a winner so that'll be fine. Even with the hotel and Advance fare, it'll still be at least £30 cheaper if not far more than it would have been to fly to BHX! £109 with a stopover to do BRU > BHX as it turned out when I just looked...

Still, on the bright side I'll hopefully get another B738 in the book :D

SteamontheMet

Here are flights that I have done over the last 12 months:

19/02/2012 British Airways Airbus A320-232, LHR-AMS (G-EUYK)
24/02/2012 British Airways (BA citiflyer) Embraer 190LR, AMS-LCY (G-LCYL)

Part of the Brilliant Monarch Enthusiast Day to Friedrichshafen in Germany
06/12/12 Monarch Airlines Boeing 757-2TZ, LGW-FDH-LGW (G-MONK)
Brilliant day out, can't wait for the next Monarch trip.

21/01/2013 Emirates Airbus A380-861, LHR-DXB (A6-EDU)
22/01/2013 Emirates Boeing 777-31H, DXB-KUL (A6-EMS)
30/01/2013 Emirates Boeing 777-31H/ER KUL-DXB (A6-EGV)
30/01/2013 Emirates Airbus A380-861, DXB-LHR (A6-EDU)

Looking forward to the summer, I am planning on doing a day trip to Amsterdam or Zurich from London as well as going over the Northern Ireland for a few days.

WestCoast

Established Member
Just completed a a quick return to Stutgart, flying with BA and Flybe. I don't tend to record registrations but the flights were as follows;

-London Heathrow to Frankfurt on BA A320. This flight was booked for 767 (partly why I chose it), but was downgauged because of an extremely low load of 37! Very comfortable as I had the whole row across to myself, plus a chatty pilot (as I often find on BA more than any airline) and super friendly cabin crew.

-Stuttgart to Birmingham on Flybe Dash 8 Q400. Again a nice flight, lots of room due to a low load of around 50%. It was interesting doing a longer (1h45ish) flight on the Dash, speaking to the crew they said that apart from the ski routes it's one of the longest routes on the Dash since the introduction of the E175. The aircraft seemed to handle turbulence quite well. A bit noisier than I remember the Dash being on shorter trips. Plenty of room though due to the low load.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Not sure if you had seen this, but I noted this on the BBC news website earlier.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21667233

Just in case any of you had booked a trip with Thompson for the sake of a ride on a 787.

Not flown on one yet, nor does it look like it will be possible for a while yet.

Not particularly a plane enthusiast, just seem to spend a lot of time on them...

starrymarkb

Established Member
BA are also denying that the A380 will be doing short hauls prior the main launch as was rumoured... It will be used on LA and Hong Kong routes to start with

atillathehunn

Established Member
That's a pity. Though it would seem a bit of a waste just trundling round Europe in them.
I've flown on them plenty of times, so no particular loss for me!

WestCoast

Established Member
That's a pity. Though it would seem a bit of a waste just trundling round Europe in them.
I've flown on them plenty of times, so no particular loss for me!

Crew training would be the main reason for putting A380s on short-haul (e.g. Air France ran A380s Paris CDG - London Heathrow a few summers ago).

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Got my first flybe flight on Monday coming up on Monday, BHX > AMS as part of the epic Interrail bash <D

Long way off my target of 5,000 air miles this year though, only got 256 miles in so far with G-EZFV!

Royston Vasey

Established Member
2013 so far, all approximate. About 4,000 miles on BA 772, 5,000 miles on AA 762, 4,000 miles on UA 735 and 738, 800 miles on AA MD80, 800 miles on MQ (American Eagle) CRJ7.

At least another 24,000 miles on BA 763 and 772 to come.

Looking forward to trying Virgin America A320s later this year too, another 5,000 miles.

Last edited:

starrymarkb

Established Member
Still only have BRS-SXF booked for this year... 1394 miles (not sure if Statute or Nautical - GCM doesn't specify)

Last year was 3314 miles as the Crow Flies.

Mind you I did find the FlyingFinn's Flight Diary... I have a long way to go (1700 sectors behind!)

Last edited:

atillathehunn

Established Member
16, 372 miles so far this year.

Though last year was a lot more tame, with only about half of that.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Next trip will be the maiden LHR-MAN Virgin Atlantic service.

Later next month: LCY-DUB-AMS-YUL-YYZ-MSP-DCA-DTW-BOS-LHR. (MD-11 galore)

And why not share... http://my.flightmemory.com/visualapproach

Impressive itinerary.

Probably MD80 galore, I think you mean though. American and Delta are both heavy users of the type (MD80/83/88) with some set to remain on lease for another ten years! It can be a novelty if you're sat by the engine, and they're quiet further forward, but they're getting very shabby. No MD11s are left in commercial passenger service in the US, they're still used by Fedex and UPS though.

Last edited:

starrymarkb

Established Member
Impressive itinerary.

Probably MD80 galore, I think you mean though. American and Delta are both heavy users of the type (MD80/83/88) with some set to remain on lease for another ten years! It can be a novelty if you're sat by the engine, and they're quiet further forward, but they're getting very shabby. No MD11s are left in commercial passenger service in the US, they're still used by Fedex and UPS though.

Delta are still using DC-9-50s as well - though they are due Southwest's fleet of 717s (MD-95) (inherited from Airtran) to replace the DC-9s in the next year so so

SteamontheMet

Impressive itinerary.

The AMS-YUL section is operated by MD-11 if the individual is flying with KLM.
I guess all the Canada/US and US domestic services will be mix of 737/757 and MD80 metals.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
The AMS-YUL section is operated by MD-11 if the individual is flying with KLM.
I guess all the Canada/US and US domestic services will be mix of 737/757 and MD80 metals.

Good point. There are a handful left.

Domestic flights depend on the airline I guess. Mainly 737 with some MD80, 319/320, 757, ERJ, CRJ. Not too many Airbus because of the big carriers' US bias! The CRJ700 are nice little planes for a couple of hours.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
First Dash 8 in the form of G-ECOE on Monday,was quite fun :) Also got my 8th B738 in the book with EI-DYF from Charleroi to Manchester.Distance wise my second longest flight in my air bashing.Almost a year doing so now :o

Royston Vasey

Established Member
First Dash 8 in the form of G-ECOE on Monday,was quite fun :) Also got my 8th B738 in the book with EI-DYF from Charleroi to Manchester.Distance wise my second longest flight in my air bashing.Almost a year doing so now :o

My only experience of a Dash 8 to date was an Air Canada Jazz hop, in the rain, from San Francisco to Vancouver. Sitting by the engine was a slightly unnerving experience, there appeared to be a steady drip, drip of oil leaking from the very rearmost point of the engine, and watching the wheels slam into the ground and skid along the runway was very disconcerting!!

WestCoast

Established Member

How did you find Flybe? The Amsterdam routes out of Birmingham and East Midlands are fairly new for them, replacing bmibaby. I'm on six Flybe sectors so far this year!

Flying on a Ryanair B738 at the end of this month for the first time since December 2011 (I have around 24 sectors logged with FR, but I have definitely been subconsciously avoiding them recently!). LPL-WAW and back.

Status
Not open for further replies.