• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Planned Service Alterations causing Ticket Uncertainty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave91131

Earlier today I received a message from a friend, who earlier this week travelled from Peterborough to King's Cross using an advance single on LNER, asking for advice. She travelled to London unsure on what day she would need to return and also completely ignorant of the fact that Fri-Sat-Sun there are no trains to or from King's Cross, and more relevantly on Saturday (when she is returning) nothing south of Stevenage (mainline) or Gordon Hill (suburban).

She is easily confused and not the best with geography to put it kindly, so I had a look and informed her that the alternative travel option on the LNER website for passengers travelling from London appears to be tube to Cockfosters, bus to Potters Bar, another bus to Stevenage, then finally a Thameslink train to Peterborough.

As luck would have it, her accommodation is very close to Cockfosters tube station. My question on her behalf is, what ticket can / should she be sold to make her journey home tomorrow? The first leg of her journey will be the bus from Cockfosters to Potters Bar, but I can't imagine a "Cockfosters to Peterborough single, not via London" exists.

I know what ticket I think she should buy (assuming she has the ability do so), but would be interested for the views of others more knowledgeable in ticketing than myself.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
I would suggest going from Liverpool Street with one change at Cambridge.

Weekend Super Off-Peak Day Single Liverpool Street to Cambridge £12.00
Anytime Day Single Cambridge to Peterborough £18.70

Total £30.70 - both tickets valid on any train tomorrow.

Edit: I had originally suggested a Super Off-Peak Single Cambridge to Peterborough £15.10, but that appears to be a "Saver Half" type fare and is not available for a single journey.

Last edited:

sheff1

Established Member
If she is starting from from Cockfosters a London Terminals to Peterborough Super Off Peak Single 'Great Northern & Thameslink only' at £20.60 should do the trick.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Earlier today I received a message from a friend, who earlier this week travelled from Peterborough to King's Cross using an advance single on LNER, asking for advice. She travelled to London unsure on what day she would need to return and also completely ignorant of the fact that Fri-Sat-Sun there are no trains to or from King's Cross, and more relevantly on Saturday (when she is returning) nothing south of Stevenage (mainline) or Gordon Hill (suburban).

She is easily confused and not the best with geography to put it kindly, so I had a look and informed her that the alternative travel option on the LNER website for passengers travelling from London appears to be tube to Cockfosters, bus to Potters Bar, another bus to Stevenage, then finally a Thameslink train to Peterborough.

As luck would have it, her accommodation is very close to Cockfosters tube station. My question on her behalf is, what ticket can / should she be sold to make her journey home tomorrow? The first leg of her journey will be the bus from Cockfosters to Potters Bar, but I can't imagine a "Cockfosters to Peterborough single, not via London" exists.

I know what ticket I think she should buy (assuming she has the ability do so), but would be interested for the views of others more knowledgeable in ticketing than myself.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
There is a lot of text here, can you summarise where she is travelling from, and to, and also what day/time she wishes to depart or arrive?

Veteran Member
I would suggest a local bus (try Googlemaps for her nearest stop) towards Enfield Chase (contactless), buy a ticket there (or online), RRB to Gordon Hill thence train changing at Stevenage. Unfortunately Gordon Hill is not well served by buses, but this looks easier than buses all the way to Stevenage.

Potters Bar by local bus 298 is another option, or an e-ticket from Alexandra Palace would be valid from Cockfosters.

Last edited:

CyrusWuff

Established Member
The least complicated option would be to take a 298 bus (every 20 minutes, with a journey time of around 15 minutes) from Cockfosters to Potters Bar, at a cost of £1.50 (only contactless payment or Oyster are accepted for this - London Buses stopped accepting cash on board in June 2014). It stops right outside both stations and is faster than the Rail Replacement Bus as it doesn't divert to serve Hadley Wood.

From Potters Bar, take the rail replacement bus to Stevenage, from where there's an hourly train service to Peterborough, with a Potters Bar - Peterborough Super Off-Peak Single (valid on Thameslink & Great Northern services only) being £16.00. Overall journey time would be around 2 hours 55 minutes.

Going via Gordon Hill would only save around 10 minutes, as you'd first need to get to Oakwood to get a bus to Enfield Chase or Enfield Town before doubling back to Gordon Hill.

Dave91131

If she is starting from from Cockfosters a London Terminals to Peterborough Super Off Peak Single 'Great Northern & Thameslink only' at £20.60 should do the trick.

That was what I thought she should buy.

Thanks all for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.