• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Planned Train being Replaced with a Slower Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichJF

Hi,

I was looking at Realtime Trains for my work station (Coulsdon South). One of the services was cancelled & I'm struggling to figure out what this means on Realtime Trains.

It was cancelled due to the "planned train being replaced with a slower train". Is this a genuine reason or just a generic Realtime Trains reason?

Could it be that a 455 was at Horsham instead of the 377 & couldn't keep to the 377 times therefore Southern cancelled it?

tain.JPG

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Highlandspring

Established Member
Delay code MS is actually "Planned underpowered or shortformed service and/or vehicle, including exam set swaps" so the RTT public friendly explanation isn't a million miles away from that. Whether or not that is the correct code in this instance I couldn't say.

RUFJAN15

Careful scrutiny of Real Time Trains provides part of the answer.

2C09 is formed from the stock coming in on 2C04, the 07.04 Three Bridges - Horsham; this originates as 5C04 from Three Bridges sidings. 2C04 is scheduled to depart from P1 at TBD, a couple of minutes after 2A17 (07.02 TBD - VIC) leaves from P2. On Tuesday 5C04 arrived in P1 as expected, but 2A17 also left from P1 and 2C04 was cancelled; i.e. the stock off 5C04 was diverted to operate 2A17.

2A17 is normally formed from 5A17 which runs ECS from Lovers Walk in Brighton and on Tuesday 5A17 was cancelled due to a 'delay not investigated'.

I have no idea why 5A17 did not run; presumably it was failed on preparation or Lovers Walk was short of serviceable units. In any case, it appears that Control prioritised 2A17 over 2C04/2C09.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
17:23 from Manchester Piccadilly to Hazel Grove is often a victim of this. 142/150 vs 323

When it's not cancelled, that is !!

tsr

Established Member
2A17 may have been prioritised due to the sheer volume of times it has not run recently. This is something GTR Control try to do to prevent multiple cancellations on consecutive days.

2A17’s allocated stock has been regularly used recently to cover for 313 failures on the South Coast. If 5A17 is cancelled and the stock reused, only 2 services are affected, whereas three units can then be released for the Coastways (5A17 is a 12 coach 377 formation).

Status
Not open for further replies.