• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Planned Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloogrape

Well im planning on doing a nice long trip for a holiday.

I'm thinking about going from Reading to Edinburgh and stay there for a week and return. now thetrainline.com is very useful and i can see that the virgin train can do a direct run without a change stopping at on station on the way and none on return.

Any sudgestions for this trip..
What todo on the train?
Hotels (cheap like a travelodge or something in edinburgh?)

Anybody done this trip before id be keen to hear :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I would personally go via London and use GNER for such a long journey, especially if you're doing standard class. From my experience on a 4 car Voyager from Reading to Leeds, standard was very overcrowded and looked terrible, never mind as far as Edinburgh! The GNER std advance is only £3 more than the cheapest vv and takes about 10 mins longer including getting across London. If you can afford the Virgin First class upgrade its probably worth it, but otherwise I personally wouldn't recommend it :)

As for staying in Edinburgh, there's a Travelodge a short stroll from the station. I have no experience of it, but I'm sure its pretty nice.

bloogrape

Ive had a trip from basingstoke to reading in a vv and i hated it tbh lol. so a trip to paddington then kingscross with gner to leeds and upwards.. the trip down allways indicates virgin so im stuck coming down, i dont fancy a **** trip with changes on way back because il be very tired.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hostels are available, around £14 for the average price a night. If you're a rich git though, Travelodge is brilliant, although I'm unsure about them letting you take a room for an entire week.

As for routing, I'd book via London if it is affordable on a GNER KGX - EDB service. Could be done for quite a cheap amount. I'd go for the 1030 HST up to EDB off KGX, but depends on when you want to land in Edinburgh. Nothing is more enjoyable than a HST at full whack on the ECML between Edinburgh and Dunbar! I absolutely LOVED it! Not had a better HST trip yet, although the return from Pembroke Dock in 2004 ties I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.