• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Planning application goes in for Edginswell station (Torquay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapidash

Herald Express

A planning application has been submitted for the new Edginswell railway station on the outskirts of Torquay.

This follows a presentation of the draft plans to the local Community Partnership group in December where a number of comments and feedback were received.

Torbay Council says these have now been incorporated, where possible, into the new application and address the design, landscaping, ecology and flood risk concerns.

The new station, which is supported by Torbay Council, is expected to open in 2018, and will consist of two platforms, both with access to shelters, ticket machines, real time information lighting and CCTV.

The station will be fully accessible to all with pedestrian access from both Newton Road and Riviera Way via steps, ramps and a footbridge to platform level.

Still doesn't have the full funding though....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

civ-eng-jim

Perhaps having planning permission will enable other sources of funding to release some cash for this scheme?

Good to see it in the pipeline.

£8m seems a lot, but the topography's not ideal and the geology's probably not much better either.

The Ham

Established Member

Get it through planning and you then have three years to get funding to pay for the works before the planning lapses.

However, if you make a material start to the scheme then even if you don't complete for another (say) 10 years that doesn't matter (in planning terms, of course the sooner it can open the better).

Therefore as long as there is sufficient funding to be able to do enough works to demonstrate a material start it is better to get an early planning application and worry about funding later.

Given the last tranche of money from the new stations fund was for spade ready schemes I would suggest that they are looking to a similar future funding stream.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There are more details here:
http://www.torbay.gov.uk/index/your...tpolicy/localtransportboard/edginswellltb.htm

HowardGWR

Established Member
Of course, if the station had been already built with P and R and frequent (eventually electric) trains to Exeter, they wouldn't have needed the Kingskerswell bypass, saved £130m, and not destroyed the lovely landscape around that poor village.:cry:

Rapidash

Of course, if the station had been already built with P and R and frequent (eventually electric) trains to Exeter, they wouldn't have needed the Kingskerswell bypass, saved £130m, and not destroyed the lovely landscape around that poor village.:cry:

That road was very much needed, and had been for decades. Torbay is conurbation of 140,000, plus the Grockle Horde each summer. A single road through the middle of a village, with people crossing the road was not sustainable as the sole main road for the area.

The local trains are very busy, but significantly more people still drive to work still. Probably because of how crowded the commuter services get!

Its already making a big difference for those of us living here.

I'll still take the leccy trainification though!

Mark62

Why does it cost so much to built two platforms. I believe the recent station at Cranbrook cost almost £5 million for one platform. That's lucicrous for a few yards of bricks and mortar

Rapidash

Why does it cost so much to built two platforms. I believe the recent station at Cranbrook cost almost £5 million for one platform. That's lucicrous for a few yards of bricks and mortar

I'm guessing it's less the bricks and mortar, and more the signalling side of things, it's a busier bit of track than Cranbrook, after all.

Also bridges cost a pretty penny as well.

The Ham

Established Member
I'm guessing it's less the bricks and mortar, and more the signalling side of things, it's a busier bit of track than Cranbrook, after all.

Is also on a live railway so you can't just build it when you like and most of the work will need to be done at night.

I don't know about you but most people like working in the day time and so request extra money to work at night. Although that's not a lot added to short working days and the site has to be perfectly clear before trains start running after the works it all adds up to a fairly high construction bill.

devon_metro

Established Member

But it's so much easier to get to Torbay and the poor village doesn't have thousands of cars driving through it each day!

MarkyT

Established Member
But it's so much easier to get to Torbay and the poor village doesn't have thousands of cars driving through it each day!

The road has dramatically improved the reliability of local bus services. The #12 often has to wait time at stops going through Kingskerswell now, even in the peak, as I experienced on a journey yesterday evening from Newton abbot at about 17:30 along the almost empty old road). Before the new road, bus journey time was extremely variable and sometimes extended by half an hour or more. I think it is inevitable rail will lose at least some market share for very local journeys due to the improved private car and bus journeys resulting from the new road. Considering the comparatively poor siting of Newton Abbot and Torquay's stations (although not Paignton) relative to their respective town centres, rail, with it's consistent journey time of around 11 minutes between Torquay and Newton Abbot, nevertheless offered an attractive time saving advantage over bus for branch journeys, which it still does, but the difference was most pronounced in the peaks when train clearly bypassed the interminable queues through Kingskerswell that are no more.

Rapidash

I'd say the road is already having an impact on the commute to Exeter. I've noticed a significant drop in people waiting at Torre in the mornings

Won't last though - Bridge Road in Exeter is being upgraded over the next year, with alot of diversions via those well known clear-of-traffic areas Alphington and Marsh Barton.

Me thinks they'll be back!

HowardGWR

Established Member
I wasn't going to pursue this, but the local action group demonstrated that the queues around the avoiding road of Kingskerswell (they already had one of course!) were mainly caused by the traffic lights at the pedestrian crossing there. An excellent video of that was produced.

The road building in the Torbay area is a slap in the face to environmental quality, both in terms of car commuting and destruction of previously pristine countryside.

But we lost that one. The queue is just moved up to (near) Exeter, probably, in the course of time. Torbay is a residential cul de sac.

Rapidash

I wasn't going to pursue this, but the local action group demonstrated that the queues around the avoiding road of Kingskerswell (they already had one of course!) were mainly caused by the traffic lights at the pedestrian crossing there. An excellent video of that was produced.

The road building in the Torbay area is a slap in the face to environmental quality, both in terms of car commuting and destruction of previously pristine countryside.

But we lost that one. The queue is just moved up to (near) Exeter, probably, in the course of time. Torbay is a residential cul de sac.

Prestine? Are you sure about that? The aggregate quarry, giant laundry centre, multiple industrial estates were.....prestine countryside:o

I can understand wanting to preserve greenery, but not at the cost of keeping so many people being held to ransom over a comparatively narrow stretch of land.

I can only assume you never had to commute this way much previously? Or knew anyone who did?

Also, cul-de-sac ain't half the insult you make it sound.

MarkyT

Established Member
Well ideally I'd much rather have had a tram-train network encompassing the Torbay branch, shared with main line traffic, with street extensions into Newton Abbot and Torquay centres and new branches to Brixham and Bovey Tracey. Also electrification of heavy rail services with increased frequencies and capacities, a new fast route from Newton Abbot to Exeter, a major cut in rail fares and an integrated cross modal fare structure and ticketing system under the control of a local transport authority for the south west peninsula. Together such measures could could result in a major mode shift such that new roads would not be required. Seeing as we aren't in Germany and may soon not even be in the EU, I think there's as much likelyhood of any of that as pigs flying.

Why can't they build stations akin to the WYPTE stations of the 80s and 90s such as Burley Park and Cottingley? (Albeit with greater parking provision?)

HowardGWR

Established Member
Well ideally I'd much rather have had a tram-train network encompassing the Torbay branch, shared with main line traffic, with street extensions into Newton Abbot and Torquay centres and new branches to Brixham and Bovey Tracey. Also electrification of heavy rail services with increased frequencies and capacities, a new fast route from Newton Abbot to Exeter, a major cut in rail fares and an integrated cross modal fare structure and ticketing system under the control of a local transport authority for the south west peninsula. Together such measures could could result in a major mode shift such that new roads would not be required. Seeing as we aren't in Germany and may soon not even be in the EU, I think there's as much likelyhood of any of that as pigs flying.

Indeed, i could not have expressed it better,sadly, thanks.

@Rapidash

Cul de sac was not intended as insult at all, just a metaphorical description of the transport realities. Yes, I have carried out extensive traffic surveys in the area and knew it intimately while helping local objectors to the bypass.

The area on the west side of Kingskerswell, especially near the church, was pristine (spelling checker?), delightful in fact. I can't bear to go back now. It would be too upsetting.

They couldn't even recommend a reinstated station for the village. Not every station requires a car park. Many could have walked to it.

But it's over now. It's ------ (vernacular word follows).

Status
Not open for further replies.