Planning international journey.

Discussion in 'International Transport' started by 507 001, 3 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 507 001

507 001 Member

hi guys,
    Planning to travel to wernigerode from the UK next year. Can anybody recommend a website that I can use to get a rough idea of prices and journey times?
    Cheers!

2. 306024

306024 Established Member

For all my international journeys I use a combination of The man in seat 61 for advice, and the DB website for timings and bookings. You usually find what you need by following the various links.

A group of us did the trip to Wernigerode in February this year. Our route was Harwich - Hook - Rotterdam - Amersfoort - Hanover - Goslar - Wernigerode. Depends on where in the UK you are starting from (Liverpool area I guess) but a combination of Dutch Flyer and advance booking on DB website may be worth a look, although others may have better suggestions.

Plan B is look at sky scanner for cheap air fares and fly to Hanover if overland doesn't work out.

Last edited: 3 May 2015
  3. 30907

30907 Established Member

Liverpool to WR is a long day. You could break overnight in Brussels or Liege, which may actually work out cheaper, and get there early afternoon, or go via Hoek and arrive late afternoon.
    If you are really after a bargain and don't mind a couple of hours extra on trains, use Dutchflyer as far as the German border at Werner and a Niedersachsenticket from there via Bremen to Vienenburg. Pay the last bit to WR separately.

Might be worth considering Halberstadt as a base (and riding its trams) but you may have accommodation arranged via HSB.

If you end up flying, which of course I cannot advocate (especially as I'm about to fly home from Prague ☺), LIV - Berlin with Easyjet might be worth it, as you can get to WR reasonably easy on regional trains. The alternative is Flybe MAN - Hannover but it currently gives an inconveniently late arrival in Germany. Hamburg isn't out of the question either, in which case visit Miniaturwunderland there.

4. 507 001

507 001 Member

Cheers Guys, very Helpful.

I quite like the idea of a trip to Hamburg....

5. Jegerpizza

Jegerpizza Member

If you are looking to travel via Hamburg and airplane, you might wanna take a short train trip to Manchester Airport as they have direct flights to Hamburg (EasyJet and Germanwings.) and Hamburg HBF to Wernigerode is "only" 3 hours 20 min by train. In terms of booking tickets, i would book the plane tickets at the airline website and the train ticket from Hamburg to Werningerode on Deutsche bahn website.
    Miniaturewonderland is more than worth a visit, i've been there a dozen times and still haven't seen all the details, its so impressive! There is also a very nice 1:32 gauge layout at the Hamburg Museum. Here is a picture from it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 7 May 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.