• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Planning on a Rover. Thoughts?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

james60059

I was planning on doing a Rover, Heart of England in 2 weeks time to coincide with annual leave I booked in February.

Obviously, things have now changed quite considerably since especially with Covid-19, mostly with TOCs asking not to travel unless absolutely necessary. Now, whilst I am more than happy to abide by such guiidelines, especially keeping trains free for key workers and those that really do need to travel, after all, getting haulage and number crunching isn't essential really, and I think enthusiasts can do their part to assist in helping TOCs.

I know things can change, but would it be wise to hold off until later in the year, or maybe even wait until 2021 to do one, and just make do with doing line side photography?.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWM

Established Member
Probably depends on what you're hoping to do, and whether you'll feel comfortable doing it. Different people no doubt use rovers differently. Personally I'm a 'do as much of the area as possible and get to as many places as possible' fellow.

I started a 7-day East of England Rover on March 22nd, which I abandoned late evening March 23rd when it was apparent a lockdown was going to be announced that evening. The two days I did do were rather odd, but I'm glad I did them anyway. Trains were very quiet (except for one quite busy one on the Monday afternoon on the Robin Hood line, for whatever reason). Pretty much everywhere was closed by then. Staying in a hotel in an almost-abandoned Nottingham city centre on the Sunday evening was very surreal - trying to find somewhere to eat was quite a challenge!

Personally, I won't be considering doing another rover until at least September/October, but that would be the usual pattern for me anyway - I'm no fan of travelling much in hot weather :)

xotGD

Established Member
Far too early to be making rail trips for fun. We can all do our bit by staying off the trains.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I suspect it would probably be August before anything is really possible. July if we are lucky.

NorthWestRover

Established Member
I'm certainly not planning even a day rover before September other than to get somewhere specific. I may take a train into Manchester or somewhere like Alderley Edge or St Anne's once cafes are open, but it seems an unnecessary risk to spend a day enclosed in trains touching surfaces etc which is what I'd normally choose to do with some touristy thing as well. Having to wear a face covering has put me off even more.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I would definitely recommend putting it off until face coverings are no longer required; at present we have no idea when that will be.

Oscar46016

same here - planning an all-line but I think that will be off until at least august possibly September if then.

You've got the added problem as well that there will also be reduced services for some time.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I would definitely recommend putting it off until face coverings are no longer required; at present we have no idea when that will be.
Hopefully they will take it out of legislation one day! Would be awful if they "forgot" or were concerned about infection and it lasted indefinitely.

ChrisC

Established Member
Since taking early retirement 5 years ago I’ve been regularly making use of regional rail and bus rovers to explore different parts of the UK. I had planned to use an 8 Days in 15 Devon and Cornwall Rail Rover in April, a Stagecoach 7 Day West Megarider Bus ticket based in Cheltenham in May and 7 days in Portsmouth at the end of this month using a Solent Go Bus Ticket and days out by train. All cancelled because of lockdown.

I would wear a face mask for a one off day trip but not for whole week of travelling. I can’t see much pleasure in that. I can’t see that I will be in any hurry to do holidays using public transport whilst face masks have to be worn. I’m hoping to get away a few times later this year but I will be using my car, probably to visit a few rural non tourist areas and to do plenty of walking. I may also consider a self catering cottage if hotel breakfasts and dining out is still limited. What’s the point of being stuck in a hotel room with no useable restaurant or bar.

Hopefully I might be able to return to holidays based on using public transport with Rover tickets by next spring. However, I might actually find out that I like using my car.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I wouldn't buy a Rover. Maybe an old MG :D

Rovers are great value for money if used wisely but let's see what TOCs do as regards Advance Singles post-COVID-19.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
That Devon and Cornwall multi day rover is excellent value and was on my list already, although naturally stuff is on hold for now.

I've not been on a train since March, keen to follow the advice of keeping the capacity free for key workers / essential journeys but as people's habits are changing then I may try a day rover somewhere in the near(ish) future.

xotGD

Established Member
Rovers are really good when you are based at one extremity of the area. Starting an East Mids Rover in Coventry (for example) allows some long journeys to be made.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Rovers are really good when you are based at one extremity of the area. Starting an East Mids Rover in Coventry (for example) allows some long journeys to be made.

Rugby to Crewe and back via several stops in the West Midlands sees your money's worth. Hailing from Stockport there's usually 2x£3 Advance Singles to add to/from Stockport, but £30 ish is nonetheless very good value for what can be close on 300 miles.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
The downside of the East Mids 1 day rover is the catchment area is quite a lot less than the 3 in 7 or 7 day versions, but I agree they are good value tickets.

djpontrack

Far too early to be making rail trips for fun. We can all do our bit by staying off the trains.

We were doing a revenue check at Lancaster a few days ago and I spotted two rover tickets. I’m surprised that they are being sold at the moment.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
We were doing a revenue check at Lancaster a few days ago and I spotted two rover tickets. I’m surprised that they are being sold at the moment.
I guess their availability does encourage leisure travel. I know sometimes they offer a cheaper way of making a journey ( cheaper than a return, or a multi leg journey) but I would assume the holders of the tickets you saw probably would have been enthusiasts! I suppose the "avoid public transport" message is just guidance. I've certainly seen people on the buses that weren't making essential journeys.
I don't wish to hijack the thread though as we already have several Covid discussions going on elsewhere!

Established Member

That's nothing on what I saw today, someone with a BritRail on its first day of validity!

Status
Not open for further replies.