• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Plans for a Glasgow Metro network and Central-Queen Street tunnel unveiled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
https://www.itv.com/news/2019-04-29...art-of-proposals-to-transform-city-transport/

Glasgow-wide Metro system part of proposals to transform city transport
stream_2ea77a88-06bb-4c13-8584-a3b451a0aba8.jpg

The Connectivity Commission is looking at future transport in GlasgowPhoto: Connectivity Commission/PA

Plans to develop a Glasgow-wide Metro system are among a number of “bold, ambitious and transformative” proposals put forward by an independent commission to reshape the city’s transport systems in the decades ahead.

Under the “radical” vision, the Glasgow Metro would be a network of high-capacity rapid-transit lines serving as much of the city as possible, with a particular focus on those areas currently poorly served by public transport.

The blueprint from the Glasgow Connectivity Commission also puts forward plans to link the city’s two main stations by a tunnel and explores preparing the city for the HS2 high speed rail services.

The recommendations aim to reconnect left-behind areas to the city described as the engine room of the Scottish economy, and to transform the economic performance of the region to the tune of billions of pounds each year.

The commission, chaired by Professor David Begg, was established by city council leader Susan Aitken in November 2017 and its first report, out last year, explored how the local authority could transform the city centre and reverse a steep decline in bus use.

Its second report now looks at matters outwith the council’s control, namely the road and rail network.

stream_63be21fc-3f83-4f9e-8721-a3ff792e5243-1366x912.jpg

Experts proposed the creation of a Metro network across the city Credit: Connectivity Commission/PA
It found that Glasgow has a good transport network by UK standards, but that it falls “substantially short” compared to some European cities.

“The most glaringly obvious omission from Glasgow’s current transport system is the absence of the kind of comprehensive, modern rapid transit system serving inner urban destinations that just nearly all of Glasgow’s comparator cities have been busy building for the last 30-40 years,” the report stated.

The Commission also found that areas of the city suffering high rates of socio-economic deprivation tend also to have poor transport access to the city centre.

It said the first priority of a strategy to transform the fixed public transport network should be the creation of a comprehensive Glasgow Metro.

“The Glasgow Metro would be a network of high capacity rapid transit lines serving as much of the city as possible so that the fixed transport system plays the fullest possible role in ensuring inclusive growth across the city’s communities, sustaining the international competitiveness of the key employment concentrations in and around the city centre,” the report said.

The Metro could be created from parts of the existing heavy rail network, re-opened sections of dormant infrastructure, wholly new sections of route and on-street tram running, it is proposed.

Officials recommended building a link between Glasgow Airport and Paisley Gilmour Street Station as the first leg of a Metro line that would then be extended to connect Renfrew, Braehead and Queen Elizabeth University Hospital to the city centre – a route described as the south Clyde growth corridor.

This first leg should be completed by 2025 and the importance of the corridor means “it is no longer appropriate to conceive a rail link to the airport as a freestanding project” the report noted.

The Commission found that the separation of the city’s two main railway stations is one of the main barriers to connectivity in the area.

It has recommended connecting Glasgow Central and Queen Street stations by a tunnel, providing 20 trains an hour across the city and transforming rail services across Scotland’s central belt.

“It would be possible to combine the Edinburgh and Ayrshire express services giving the whole of the central belt a world class regional express network making Glasgow city centre unambiguously the most accessible place in Scotland,” the report said.

The experts further recommended redesigning Glasgow Central to accommodate HS2 trains.

This would include extending the station over the Clyde and involve the creation of a new southern concourse.

Other key recommendations in the report included developing plans for bus priority on Glasgow’s motorway network and preparing for the shift to electric and autonomous vehicles by considering new methods of road charging.

stream_2e31f74f-c506-4d89-8301-768de5aaaae8-1366x1023.jpg

The Metro network would cover much of the city Credit: Connectivity Commission/PA
The various measures would cost around £500 million a year, based on previous estimates, and could help close the productivity gap between Glasgow and the rest of the UK, generating £4.6 billion a year for the Scottish economy, the report suggested.

Professor Begg said the report’s recommendations were achievable and have positive business cases.

He said: “The proposals we have recommended here will deliver a step-change in Glasgow’s economic performance and drive Scotland’s ambitions to deliver stronger, sustainable, inclusive growth.

“They are bold, ambitious and transformative but we are also confident that they are achievable and the right response to secure Glasgow’s long-term economic prosperity.”

Ms Aitken said the proposals are worthy of detailed consideration.

Transport Secretary Michael Matheson said it was encouraging to see Scotland’s largest city fully considering what a future system could offer.

He said: “The Commission’s report is timely as Transport Scotland takes forward a nationwide assessment of transport requirements with work on an updated National Transport Strategy and the second Strategic Transport Projects Review under way.

“We will consider these recommendations as part of our appraisal, allowing us to balance the needs of communities around the country.”

Any thoughts?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

d9009alycidon

These think tanks come around every now and again revisiting ideas that have been around since the 1970s but with no concept as to how these are going to be paid for, I doubt if I will see this in my lifetime. One part of the scheme that I think that Network Rail will have issues with is the conversion of the Kings Park line to a metro link, this would effectively close off an important diversionary route into Glasgow Central to them.

Mordac

Established Member
I found the statement "matters outwith the council’s control, namely the road ... network" interesting. I would have thought the roads would be very much the council's thing.
Trunk roads will be Transport Scotland, just like in England they're the responsibility of Highways England.

Altnabreac

Established Member

I think it has two things identified correctly:
That the south Clyde growth corridor needs better connectivity.
That Central - Queen St tunnel is needed.

However it seems to be proposing two separate multi billion pound schemes to address these.

I’d have thought it would be much more sensible to try and kill two birds with one stone with something like my previously suggested Arkleston - Cowlairs tunnel with stations at QEUH, Govan, SECC, Central and High Street / Cathedral.

More like (London) Crossrail than a traditional Metro system.

najaB

Veteran Member
Well I see that as the main difference between a proposal and a plan...
To my mind it's a bit more like:
Proposal - "This is a problem, here is an idea of how to fix it."
Plan - "That thing we proposed before, here are some maps/blueprints, cost breakdown, study of benefits, etc. Can you figure out where to get the money?"
Project - "That plan we presented. Here's where the money is coming from, budgets figured out, work packages ready to send out to tender, etc."

d9009alycidon

The proposal for a tunnel from Cowlairs to Shields Junction appeared in Rail magazine back in the 1980s, it was hilarious back then as there was no plans for any electrification and the image of 156/158s accelerating away up the hill from a deep level station didn't bear thinking about. If a tunnel was to be built, the tunnel would need to go deep under Central Glasgow, as it would have to pass under the existing low level platforms at Queen St and Central and somehow weave its way around the subway tunnels

och aye

I think it has two things identified correctly:
That the south Clyde growth corridor needs better connectivity.
That Central - Queen St tunnel is needed.

However it seems to be proposing two separate multi billion pound schemes to address these.

I’d have thought it would be much more sensible to try and kill two birds with one stone with something like my previously suggested Arkleston - Cowlairs tunnel with stations at QEUH, Govan, SECC, Central and High Street / Cathedral.

More like (London) Crossrail than a traditional Metro system.
What about Glasgow Crossrail instead?
duck.gif
:E

Highlandspring

Established Member
If a tunnel was to be built, the tunnel would need to go deep under Central Glasgow, as it would have to pass under the existing low level platforms at Queen St and Central and somehow weave its way around the subway tunnels
Not to mention whatever else may or may not lie under the city centre in the vicinity of Queen Street LL..........

Mordac

Established Member
Would this scheme involve trunk roads? I wonder if there is part of the story assumed but not spelled out in the article.
If you look at the map, part of the route is pretty much on top of the M8. In addition, there are a number of other points where the lines intersect the trunk road network.

Altnabreac

Established Member
What about Glasgow Crossrail instead?
duck.gif
:E

I like some aspects of Glasgow Crossrail.

A station at Glasgow Cross would be good for Merchant City.
A station in the Gorbals would be excellent for regeneration.
West St is potentially a good interchange to Subway and handy for the new Barclays Building.

However these are all local benefits and the project has big flaws like not serving Central and lack of viable connections north of the Clyde.

So it might have value as a local scheme but doesn’t solve the strategic capacity and connectivity issues a tunnel can solve.

d9009alycidon

glasgowscheme.jpg
Look familiar? This was a previous proposal from the 1980s as reported in Rail Magazine, it was crazy at that time as they actually wanted to close Central and Queen Street and route everything through the tunnel

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
View attachment 62268
Look familiar? This was a previous proposal from the 1980s as reported in Rail Magazine, it was crazy at that time as they actually wanted to close Central and Queen Street and route everything through the tunnel

That is mad! That would be a massive mistake if they had done that. Good job this plan is different.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
I like some aspects of Glasgow Crossrail.

A station at Glasgow Cross would be good for Merchant City.
A station in the Gorbals would be excellent for regeneration.
West St is potentially a good interchange to Subway and handy for the new Barclays Building.

However these are all local benefits and the project has big flaws like not serving Central and lack of viable connections north of the Clyde.

So it might have value as a local scheme but doesn’t solve the strategic capacity and connectivity issues a tunnel can solve.

Glasgow Cross is an absolutely wasted asset sitting underground. I'd go even further and open up Glasgow Green station again with links to Glasgow Green and the People's Palace.

Another line sitting there doing nothing is the Union City Line. That goes right through the Gorbals and the Trongate. Do the people that put this stuff out know there is infrastructure there and it would most likely need a heavy refurbish and electrified?

snookertam

I saw £10bn quoted for the improvements. I'd love to see the day such an amount was spent on Glasgow's transport network that wasn't on a road.

Mixed feelings about the actual proposals themselves, especially the idea of converting the Cathcart Circle. If you divert that away from Glasgow Central to become part of a metro network, then you take away a huge benefit of the route, which is a very direct and fast service to the heart of the City Centre from the south of the city. If the metro route could replicate that then it might be a goer, otherwise the concern is that you actually worsen public transport in that part of the city. In addition, in order to create the network, you're likely closing the Cathcart Circle for the best part of a year in order to convert it over, and that's not to mention the possible NR opposition to what is actually a strategically important route for dealing with West Coast engineering and disruption.

The metro plan is a great concept for parts of the city which are not linked by rail, but I'm not sure I agree when it comes to taking over an existing heavy rail route that IMO currently works reasonably well.

snookertam

IN saying that, aren't there light rail systems in England that use NR infrastructure? So it could work similar to that.

Instead of diverting the Cathcart Circle as the report suggests, how about linking the Larkfield curve to the City Union, and run the metro to East Kilbride and Barrhead? The Cathcart Routes (Metro or otherwise) can continue to use Glasgow Central at an increased frequency. That to me seems a bit more realistic an option. I'm not even sure how you divert the Cathcart Circle away from Glasgow Central, the area around Muirhouse Jn is just far too built up.

If it was to go ahead, it would likely to be a tram-train arrangement with the Newton to Central line available for diversionary routing from the WCML

CM

I fail to understand this idiotic obession with a rail link to the Airport when there is a perfectly good, high frequency bus service that operates from the City Centre directly to the Airport.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
I fail to understand this idiotic obession with a rail link to the Airport when there is a perfectly good, high frequency bus service that operates from the City Centre directly to the Airport.
You might understand it better when you're on the bus, stuck in traffic, wondering if you are going be in time for check-in.

Status
Not open for further replies.