• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Plans for Croxley Green-Watford Junction line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWTDesiro

I've heard loads of different rumours for the future of Croxley Green-Watford Junction branch which closed in 2003. I've heard it will be reopened as part of London Overground, it will be opened as a freight line between Chiltern Mainline and WCML and I've heard it will be reopened as the Croxley Raillink for the Metropolitan Line. Can anyone confirm what is actually gonna happen?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Yep, the section from just east of Croxley LUL station to the current Watford LUL station is to close, with the old alignment reopening as the Met line, joining at Watford High St and running into Junction, sharing with the Overground for the final stretch. I think it's due to open in 2015, with new stations at Ascot Rd and somewhere near a hospital whose name escapes me. Neither West or Stadium are set to reopen. As I recall the only objections to the changes are from a school in Watford near the current LUL station who use peak trains. AFAIK the current site will be kept but for stabling purposes only.

Eire Sprinter

This seems to be the project website:

http://www.croxleyraillink.com/

and the latest piece from a local newspaper

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/news/9762875.Residents_make_case_to_keep_Met_Station/

(personal opinion): I feel it should be kept open with a basic peak hours service, howsoever that is provided. Several trains are stabling there in any case. I must say I’m at a total loss to understand how keeping it open could cost “tens of millions” (15th paragraph of newspaper article). Perhaps rails of pure gold are to be laid on the line?! Numbers may be small in underground terms but there’s still a heck of a lot of people using it.

Chris125

Established Member
I believe it would require an extra S8 to serve Watford Met during the peak, which dont come cheap. On top of the other costs, i can see why its not viable.

Chris

Schnellzug

Established Member
i never ever used Watford Met while I was up that way; I tried to find it one time but found out that it was about a mile out of town. It doesn't seem a bad idea to find some way of making it a bit more useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.