• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Plastic bags and Pantographs

Status
Not open for further replies.

asylumxl

Established Member
Having been delayed and detrained earlier due to a plastic bag caught on the pantograph of an FCC 377 towards Brighton, I thought it'd be worthing asking some questions here.

1) How much of a safety risk does this pose? Is it officially considered to be one?
2) Is the risk considered the same, irrelevant of whether it is on the contact surface or not?
3) How common is this kind of problem? What can be done about it?

Despite being delayed, I did find it somewhat amusing. I can't help but think of the story of David and Goliath, what with a small and light plastic bag paralysing a large and heavy (mostly) metal train.

On a comedic note the driver could be heard in the front cab loudly declaring something along the lines of "I hate these bloody trains!" :lol:.

Cheers :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class377/5

Established Member
Having been delayed and detrained earlier due to a plastic bag caught on the pantograph of an FCC 377 towards Brighton, I thought it'd be worthing asking some questions here.

1) How much of a safety risk does this pose? Is it officially considered to be one?
2) Is the risk considered the same, irrelevant of whether it is on the contact surface or not?
3) How common is this kind of problem? What can be done about it?

Despite being delayed, I did find it somewhat amusing. I can't help but think of the story of David and Goliath, what with a small and light plastic bag paralysing a large and heavy (mostly) metal train.

On a comedic note the driver could be heard in the front cab loudly declaring something along the lines of "I hate these bloody trains!" :lol:.

Cheers :)

It can rip down the wires so it's a rather big risk. And it's down to NR to have the final say.

5c28fd3e-7b44-8f54.jpg

Had this last weekend. Train was in the platform for an hour waiting for the MOM to come with the poles and remove it.

PFX

That looks like a pair of rather large undercrackers!

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
How interesting, now the plastic bag is almost a thing of the past in Wales,or you pay for them, so not so much a problem here, except no electrics,even the Saturdays Pendos are safe:)

Must say it is rare to see plastic bags floating around Wrexham now, so WG got something right for once

Bob

SprinterMan

Established Member
How interesting, now the plastic bag is almost a thing of the past in Wales,or you pay for them, so not so much a problem here, except no electrics,even the Saturdays Pendos are safe:)

Must say it is rare to see plastic bags floating around Wrexham now, so WG got something right for once

Bob

WAG aren't that bad :P
As a resident of Bangor, I must say a daily air service to Cardiff is exactly what I was looking for ;) (sarcasm)

Adam :D

dk1

Veteran Member
I can understand the thicker plastic sheeting may cause problems but a carrier bag as often causes delays is an over-reaction. I always pretend i haven't seen the darn thing. A member of platform staff reported a Morrisions example the other day & told them to close their eyes. Was my last bit & no daft delays thankyou very much!!

blanco

It can rip down the wires so it's a rather big risk. And it's down to NR to have the final say.

if the ohle in this country is so fragile that it's in danger of being ripped down by a stray plastic bag then it's a wonder it's managed to stay standing for so long.this just seems like the most gross over reaction ever.

Phil6219

if the ohle in this country is so fragile that it's in danger of being ripped down by a stray plastic bag then it's a wonder it's managed to stay standing for so long.this just seems like the most gross over reaction ever.

Welcome to the forums.

To be honest I think it is more a case of they can get snagged and could bring the wires down, or that they can melt on the roof mounted equipment and then ignite.

While it may seem like an overreaction to some it is more a case of better safe than sorry really.

Incidentally there was a training video (GNER I think) knocking around a few years ago which dealt with how to remove an offending item after reporting it and following procedure - it had examples of previous incidents too.

Phil 8-)

blanco

Welcome to the forums.

To be honest I think it is more a case of they can get snagged and could bring the wires down, or that they can melt on the roof mounted equipment and then ignite.

While it may seem like an overreaction to some it is more a case of better safe than sorry really.

Incidentally there was a training video (GNER I think) knocking around a few years ago which dealt with how to remove an offending item after reporting it and following procedure - it had examples of previous incidents too.

Phil 8-)

i could see the point if it was a heavy duty bag that your charged for but to be honest it looks like your bog standard carrier bag that bursts at the most awkward moment.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I hope it's the same bag being used each time.

If it does bring down the wires and get damaged in the process, don't forget the supermarket will replace it free of charge.

Welshman

Established Member
The moral of the story is you can wrap your couplers in a yellow plastic bag during cold weather, but not your pantographs.

Status
Not open for further replies.