• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Platform staff at different stations in direct communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

JW16

Since TfL took over the TfL Rail route I have noticed an increase in the number of staff on platforms and they always seem to be on phones/radios whilst helping passenger boarding.

I have been on numerous trains where the calling pattern has been amended mid-journey, e.g. to make an additional stop at a station the train wasn't booked to stop. Does anyone know whether the platform staff and signallers communicate to suggest whether a particular station needs an additional train to stop, or if a train is too packed to call at a minor station etc?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrB

It's possible yes.

In my experience platform staff would be communicating with those at other stations to arrange things such as assistance for disabled passengers.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Since TfL took over the TfL Rail route I have noticed an increase in the number of staff on platforms and they always seem to be on phones/radios whilst helping passenger boarding.

I have been on numerous trains where the calling pattern has been amended mid-journey, e.g. to make an additional stop at a station the train wasn't booked to stop. Does anyone know whether the platform staff and signallers communicate to suggest whether a particular station needs an additional train to stop, or if a train is too packed to call at a minor station etc?

Surely it would be Control > Signaler & Control > Station > platform staff rather than a direct link

TEW

Established Member
It will depend of the station. Stations which are very close together may have a direct radio link to each other, otherwise they would have to phone each other. If there is a signal box at a station the platform staff will normally have a direct radio, but the signaller can't make decisions such as altering the calling pattern. That decision is made by the control staff.

tsr

Established Member
It will depend of the station. Stations which are very close together may have a direct radio link to each other, otherwise they would have to phone each other. If there is a signal box at a station the platform staff will normally have a direct radio, but the signaller can't make decisions such as altering the calling pattern. That decision is made by the control staff.

The signaller can make that decision, but it would usually be on safety grounds.

For example, if a signaller tells me that a stations is evacuated and we can't call there, I'm not going to argue! They will control movements through stations in the interests of safety if they need to do so. Service controllers also pass on some service alterations via signallers in any case. This is particularly prevalent on rural lines with poor mobile signal or on routes without conductors.

TEW

Established Member
That's very true. Generally it's a decision taken by control staff though.

Status
Not open for further replies.