• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Platform ticket (Leeds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

morgantyreman

Now Leeds has barriers can you still get the 20p platform ticket ?

Suppose to meet a friend off a train tonight but remembered the barriers.

Many thanks

Morgan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
IIRC you still can, but some of the people on the barrier might let you through anyway if you ask them nicely.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
IIRC you still can, but some of the people on the barrier might let you through anyway if you ask them nicely.

The barriers at Leeds are the easiest to get through without a ticket. There are normally a few gates locked open, failing that the staff will let you through with anything that vaguely resembles a ticket whether it is valid or not, just tailgate someone as the gates are so slow, or failing that just walk up to a gate, stand there like a lemon and one of the staff will just come and let you through without even asking to see a ticket.

Aictos

Established Member
With respect to platform tickets, does anyone from revenue have any text on the issue of them, I've looked at the Manual which I think replaced the old fares manuals and can't find anything referring to them.

First class

Established Member
With respect to platform tickets, does anyone from revenue have any text on the issue of them, I've looked at the Manual which I think replaced the old fares manuals and can't find anything referring to them.

My TOC did not give any guidance on them, other than to confirm that they can and should be issued where requested for 10p.

A Penalty Fare cannot be issued for an expired Platform Ticket for our TOC, as no station is a Compulsory Ticket Area.

Personally, I treat them as any other ticket, if a customer requests it, they can have it, making them aware of the conditions. If they decide to misuse it, they will reported for prosecution as it is premeditated fare evasion.

Every TIS can issue them, at every location. It is down to local instruction I suppose.

The only documents I can find (officially) mentioning Platform Tickets is the DfT Penalty Fare Rules Policy:

4.10 At stations with a CTA, operators must make arrangements for people who are not travelling to be allowed into the part of the station covered by the CTA, if they have a good reason. This includes people who are meeting passengers, seeing passengers off or helping them with luggage, people helping passengers with disabilities, and people such as railway enthusiasts. The arrangements might include making platform tickets available at the ticket office or from a machine. People who are helping passengers with disabilities should not be charged to enter a CTA.

Established Member
The barriers at Leeds are the easiest to get through without a ticket. There are normally a few gates locked open, failing that the staff will let you through with anything that vaguely resembles a ticket whether it is valid or not, just tailgate someone as the gates are so slow, or failing that just walk up to a gate, stand there like a lemon and one of the staff will just come and let you through without even asking to see a ticket.

It is usually the same faces I see on the barriers all the time, most seem to just stand there with their white cards and let everyone and anyone through.

metrocammel

Every TIS can issue them, at every location. It is down to local instruction I suppose.

The only documents I can find (officially) mentioning Platform Tickets is the DfT Penalty Fare Rules Policy:

I can't say I've ever seen an Avantix PT.

Most ticket office staff seem clueless when it comes to Platform tickets - to the point that many claim they can't issue them.

First class

Established Member

Most ticket office staff seem clueless when it comes to Platform tickets - to the point that many claim they can't issue them.

Correction- every STATION based TIS.

SPORTIS could issue platform tickets, Maybe Avantix can, but it's hidden in some bizarre sub-menu. I really don't know.

I've certainly see paper ticket platform tickets, (on RSP4407/4408 stock). I believe that most retail staff have access to these.

I will give some issuing instructions for STAR/Excess Pads shortly for the benefit of anyone that needs to 'advise' the retailer :)

Correction- every STATION based TIS.

SPORTIS could issue platform tickets, Maybe Avantix can, but it's hidden in some bizarre sub-menu. I really don't know.

I've certainly see paper ticket platform tickets, (on RSP4407/4408 stock). I believe that most retail staff have access to these.

I will give some issuing instructions for STAR/Excess Pads shortly for the benefit of anyone that needs to 'advise' the retailer :)

(Sorry for the crudeness of this image, this is how all the platform tickets I've seen issued are written out on paper tickets)

platformticket.jpg

STAR:

--Anywhere to Anywhere Home Screen
--Manual Fares
--Platform Tickets
--Select payment method on right hand side.
--Once payment has been made, ticket will issue.
Would take me maybe 40-50 seconds to do for a cash transaction.

Last edited:

moonrakerz

I recently had a rather unpleasant experience with a couple of SWT employees who flatly refused me access to the platforms at Salisbury to meet my daughter - who was unwell.
After a long and somewhat bizarre ("we stopped issuing platform tickets when the barriers were installed" !!!) discussion with the duty manager I was allowed through.

I am now awaiting a reply from SWT to my letter asking exactly what their policy is at gated stations when non-travellers wish to access the platforms.

janb

STAR:

--Anywhere to Anywhere Home Screen
--Manual Fares
--Platform Tickets
--Select payment method on right hand side.
--Once payment has been made, ticket will issue.
Would take me maybe 40-50 seconds to do for a cash transaction.

Yes, easy peasy. Being on an open station only done them a couple of times for what I guess you would call "ticket machine enthusiasts".

Status
Not open for further replies.